Pacer, Steps, and Calories

Options
Recently I've downloaded the app Pacer Pedometer to track my steps and see if I'm cheating myself out of calories. I've been extremely hungry ever since starting back to school from the summer and thought it was because I'm more active and burning more, which is true.

After downloading Pacer, I realized that it started to automatically give me calories starting with my first hundred steps or so and I was thinking that it would start counting up after it passed my current activity level and stay at 0 or be a negative number until then. Is there something that I'm missing or that I can do to fix this issue? I shouldn't be getting 200 more calories by walking 7000 steps while on a sedentary life style, or should I? Thanks.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    thop83 wrote: »
    Recently I've downloaded the app Pacer Pedometer to track my steps and see if I'm cheating myself out of calories. I've been extremely hungry ever since starting back to school from the summer and thought it was because I'm more active and burning more, which is true.

After downloading Pacer, I realized that it started to automatically give me calories starting with my first hundred steps or so and I was thinking that it would start counting up after it passed my current activity level and stay at 0 or be a negative number until then. Is there something that I'm missing or that I can do to fix this issue? I shouldn't be getting 200 more calories by walking 7000 steps while on a sedentary life style, or should I? Thanks.

I assume this works like a FitBit. I set my activity level to sedentary & allow negative adjustments. What this means: on days I am above sedentary.....I get positive calorie adjustments. On days when I sit on my butt.....I get negative calorie adjustments.

FitBits get really good reviews for accuracy. I trust mine for steps (and step based workouts).

If you don't like an adjustment (or you don't trust it)....set your activity level slightly higher. This will cut down on calories added...but it also gives you a slightly higher starting value. Active people burn more calories.

Here's a chart for activity level based on steps..........

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/
  • thop83
    thop83 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    thop83 wrote: »

I assume this works like a FitBit. I set my activity level to sedentary & allow negative adjustments. What this means: on days I am above sedentary.....I get positive calorie adjustments. On days when I sit on my butt.....I get negative calorie adjustments.

FitBits get really good reviews for accuracy. I trust mine for steps (and step based workouts).

If you don't like an adjustment (or you don't trust it)....set your activity level slightly higher. This will cut down on calories added...but it also gives you a slightly higher starting value. Active people burn more calories.

Here's a chart for activity level based on steps..........

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

I guess that's my issue, when I say the app starts counting I think it should wait but it doesnt. I automatically get the calories back. For example if I only walk 200 steps in a day, my app automatically gives me back the 13 or so calories that I would have burned and that is no where close to being enough to burn over sedentary, right? I have negative calorie adjustments enabled, but they don't show up with this app, it's always positive and never 0 unless I do not move at all.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    See if there is a group for your app....here's the FitBit one (tons of information).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users