Eating healthy on a budget. UK Northants area.

Options
geo35shores
geo35shores Posts: 5 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I am trying to eat healthier more fruit n veg. But I am also trying to keep the money spent down. Currently I have been getting most of my fruit n veg from aldi. I get through a lot of fruit a week and thought of bulk buying, does anyone have any suggestions of where specifically to go. Every alternative farm shops and online wholesalers appear to be significantly dearer.

Feel free to look at my diary if you wish as its open.

Replies

• DerrickBass
    DerrickBass Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can find any farmers markers in your area that will help GREATLY!! I but from a local farmers market here in Lancaster, Pa every Tuesday. I get all my fruit an Veg from there an sometimes when the prices are good I'll grab a rabbit or two. Ultimately, if you want lower cost you have to look around and compare, but farmers markets are the cheapest I've seen.
  • geo35shores
    Options
    Thanks gonna try a local farmers market this weekend. I assume prices will be better than general market prices, as our local market just can't compete with Aldis prices.
  • DerrickBass
    DerrickBass Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recommend to keep going to the Farmers market because once they know your face you may get a few "giveaways"... I know at mine I go when they are about to close and they give me whats left for a CHEAP price (they cant keep the food until next Tuesday, the market is only open once a week).
  • geo35shores
    Options
    That's a great idea. If they can beat aldis prices then they will certainly have my custom. I'm certainly buying a lot of fruit n veg nowadays surprising even myself!!
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    In the UK too and shop on a budget. I eat a lot of veg and a bit less fruit, buy a mix of fresh, tinned and frozen rather than bulk-buy as I find it hard to store large amounts without losing some to spoil over time. If you've got room in a freezer I think it's worth buying things like frozen berries (Tescos summer fruits - blackberries, raspberries, red and blackcurrants - seem good value, no strawberries which don't freeze well anyway). Typical shop for me per week usually includes fresh carrots, broccoli, courgette, peppers, red onion, potatoes, celery, apples, bananas, lemon, nuts and seeds also frozen peas, spinach, sweetcorn, berries and tinned tomatoes, pulses and fruit. My diary's open too if you want a look.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Frozen works fine and because it is frozen on sight it often contains more nutrition than fresh that has traveled from far away.
  • geo35shores
    Options
    Good ideas with the frozen berries etc. Hadn't really considored that the frozen veg may be fresher more nutritious, interesting. Thanks for the help and suggestions.