Protein

Options
Hi

I am currently doing P90X 3 and I am trying to eat 40% protein 30% carbs and 30% fat.
I am struggling to get to 40% protein despite taking whey after a daily workout.
Does anyone know how to increase protein intake without affecting fat and carbs?
For instance, eating seeds and nuts will increase protein (although by not much) but also increase the fat too so keeping the proportions right seem to be an impossible task.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    When you change one macro you usually change the other macros. If you want low fat protein, eat egg whites, shrimp, chicken breast, beans, lentils.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    As well as Fish (Salmon, Tuna). Black beans have like 9 grams of protein per 1/4 cup dried, Kidney is 7 grams. Pinto is up there too. And yes, its a lot to get to 40-50% protein. Today I ate egg beaters with 3 oz. of chicken breast after my morning workout, Homeade oatmeal cereal with protein powder an hour 1/2 later. 4 eggs 2 hours later and a 9 oz chicken breast at lunch. Then in the afternoon I mixed a scoop of protein powder with 1 cup of plain non-fat yogurt and fresh strawberries.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chances are you don't need 40% protein. Approx. 25% is fine for most people, but it really depends on how many grams are offered relative to your stats and your lifestyle.

Range of 0.60-0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight.