breakfast needed?

Options
I am not going to name any specific ways of eating but there is one out there that does not advocate breakfast. It only states that you need 2 meals a day to be satisfied and you will lose weight. Any thoughts on this? Oh, and NO snacks.

Replies

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    CICO.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Breakfast is not needed. Meal timing, for weight loss, is irrelevant. Eat according to the schedule that satisfies your hunger. Some people feel hungrier later in the day if they skip breakfast, others do not. Some do better on one or two meals others do better on 6. Figure what works for you and ignore any advice that tells you "must" eat specific times/amount of meals.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    CICO.

This. Calories in vs calories out. When and what doesn't matter one bit for weight loss.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think it depends from person to person. I know a lot of people who skip breakfast and I can do that easier on the weekends when I'm home but I can't do it at work.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when or what you eat. Skipping breakfast or lunch or even dinner isn't going to make the blindest bit of difference to your weight loss - it's the calories. If you are eating at a calorie deficit (regardless of how you spread that out throughout the day) you'll lose weight. Your body doesn't under breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea ;)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i *generally* have a pretty light breakfast (yogurt) and larger lunch (because after my workout im starving) and dinner.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    If you are the type of person who gets ravenous without breakfast and then grabs 300cals of junk at 11.00 (and then maybe go over daily calorie allowance)- then a 150-200cal breakfast may help you to avoid that. BUT if that's not you - then you don't need breakfast. Also- if you enjoy it and want to eat it- then carry on. Likewise with snacks.

I eat small meals because I get full really quickly. 50% of my food is made up of snacks. (Okay, I do admit that I need to work on increasing the nutritional value of my snacks....but that's another issue)
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There is a belief that it is important to eat breakfast. The term is to break the night time fast that your body goes through when you sleep. I personally can't eat breakfast first thing in the morning. Sometimes I do not eat it at all. The downside is, sometimes I get a sudden low blood sugar attack. I don't have an appetite, am not feeling hungry until I get this horrible weak feeling, break out in a sweat, hands tremble...I need to get something in me fast and feel like I could eat anything and everything in sight to get rid of that bad feeling. To avoid this, I will drink a premier protein shake that I get at Costco. 30 Grams of fiber- 3 grams of fat, 160 calories 4 carbs. Good for any sort of diet unless you have Phenylketonuria (PKU) which is a genetic disorder where you can't eat any protein.
    Sometimes I will just grab some fruit and have that in the morning. My favorite fruit, I get a large container of fresh blueberries from the grocery store and pop it in the freezer. I will bring a cup of it to work and eat them while they are mostly frozen. MMM.
    I personally just try to listen to my body, eat when I am hungry. That may not be until lunch time on some days..