Outdoor Runners - What do you do when it Snows?

Options

Replies

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use the Yak Trax and just run more slowly in snow and ice.

I have a coworker (ultra marathoner) who uses screws in his shoes.
    http://www.competitiverunner.com/screwshoes.html
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I won't run in the snow. If it has snowed, but the snow has cleared a clear path, I will run.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    KyleB65 wrote: »
    eljdlebguobf.jpg Just in case there was any question about my running in the cold! ;-)
    A picture from last January. A Saturday morning 10K @ -26 Deg C (A selfie while waiting for a train to go by)

If you get a hood made out of wolverine fur it wont gather frost
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    dmrRF56.jpg
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm in Florida. No snow here :( But it actually sounds like a lot of fun! Bundle up!!
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The problem with snow in the UK is it melts and re freezes into ice very quickly, and we don't have the infrastructure to keep pavements clear. I'm planning to hit the treadmill if it's icy or snowy, it's not worth falling over and getting injured
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I used to live in s cold climate I'd run and my eye lashes would freeze together. I'd have to work the ice off to see.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Sometimes you have to get creative and be flexible about where and when you run. Most of the running paths are not cleared around here in the winter, so I tend to do more running in neighborhoods without a lot of traffic since there isn't usually much room for running on the shoulder of the road. For long runs, I try to meet up with the group at the local running store. The owner there always has a pre-planned course of various distances and he does a very good job of routing it so that the area is safe and as free of ice and snow as possible. It really isn't as difficult as you may think. We had a very cold and snowy winter here last year. I ran almost every day and I think I only resorted to the treadmill a half dozen or so times and that is due to blizzard conditions or extremely icy roads.

ETA: I do not have trail shoes. I run in my regular road shoes. I have debated investing in Yak Trax, but I really have not had the need, so I have not yet bought them.

I do the same thing. I find places where I can run on the road relatively safely, so quieter subdivisions or areas with wider roads. I also live near a secondary highway where they plow the shoulders really wide so I can usually run there. And since it's a highway, it is often cleared quickly.
    I bought things to put on my sneakers but hardly ever wear them. I don't think I wore them last year and it was a bad winter. I wear my regular ones.
    The trick is learning how to dress. Every year it takes me a few runs to get it figured out again.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    The problem with snow in the UK is it melts and re freezes into ice very quickly, and we don't have the infrastructure to keep pavements clear. I'm planning to hit the treadmill if it's icy or snowy, it's not worth falling over and getting injured

I know what you mean, but i'll be running in my local park on the grass, so i should be OK.
    I was more concerned with how to dress and what kind of Training shoes are best to wear tbh.

But thanks everyone for your input.....i'm actually looking forward to it now! :)
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have Icebugs for snow running. They are amazing! I was able to run on solid ice without slipping at all last year. plus they're water proof and insulated so my feet stay toasty warm. Runnersworld also has a tool on their website to figure out how many layers etc to wear based on the weather conditions.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    As a new runner (4 months now) I am REALLY looking forward to winter running in Minnesota. I love winter and think that running in the snow and cold will be a blast.

I'm in wisconsin and looking forward to it too. bf is convinced i need to run on a dreadmill. just no.
    Due to the timing of many of my runs, I will probably be investing in yaktraks. the mailman recommend them
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Love the pictures! Ottawa and Montreal can get pretty cold at times. I live in Timmins and don't run too much in the winter because we get so much snow and cold. The sidewalks aren't always cleared. I will walk, ski or snowshoe instead. We have crazy winters up here.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I was more concerned with how to dress and what kind of Training shoes are best to wear tbh.

But thanks everyone for your input.....i'm actually looking forward to it now! :)

Invest in good quality base layer pieces. A good pair of tights, a merino wool turtle neck and good socks are worth their weight in gold. If the pieces that are next to your skin are good, it really doesn't matter what you layer over top of them. Other than that, I would probably not go out and spend a huge amount of money on new gear until you set out on some cold weather runs. You tend to figure out what you need as you go.
  • GaijinAdrian
    GaijinAdrian Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do.. I stop running. Too cold for me andiI don't want to get a chest infection from breathing the damn cold air.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    As a new runner (4 months now) I am REALLY looking forward to winter running in Minnesota. I love winter and think that running in the snow and cold will be a blast.

I think you mean Minnesnowta ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do.. I stop running. Too cold for me andiI don't want to get a chest infection from breathing the damn cold air.

News flash........cold air doesn't cause chest infections, bacteria or a virus will....... but if you don't enjoy it don't do it.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    winter is coming....

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said, just dress properly for the conditions.

If it's cold out, you need warm layers.
    If it's wet out, you need waterproof layers.
    If it's windy out, you need windproof layers.

Regardless of conditions, good socks and good shoes are mandatory.

IME, cold is easy to deal with (at least the cold I get in my part of the world), but wind can be awful. Wet is fairly easy to avoid/manage most of the time. I suggest a thin base layer, a warm layer (as warm as is necessary), and a windproof/waterproof outer layer (as needed). If you have those 3 layers, you can mix and match pretty easily based on the day's conditions.

Appropriate shoes can vary based on conditions. If it's ONLY cold out, I wear my usual running shoes. If it's wet and/or snowy, then I'll change to something with a more aggressive tread and waterproof.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Figure out what to wear, using this page at RunnersWorld.com as a starting point. It's important not to overdress, because if you do, you'll sweat too much, get damp, and then get cold. I like shirts and jackets with zips for temperature regulation, and I often start cold-weather runs with a hat and gloves which I remove after the first 5-10 minutes.

On fresh snow, I prefer trail shoes. My Salomon Speedcross 3's have great lugs.

On compacted snow and ice, I wear my regular shoes with a pair of Kahtoola Nanospikes. I have run on very smooth, slippery ice with them and always felt as if I had sufficient traction. DIY screw shoes are another option; if you make them right, you can remove the screws once the snow and ice have melted.

When running on snow and ice, it's best to slow down a bit and not make any really sudden turns. Being aware of the possibility of a fall makes it less likely that you will fall, and if you do, more likely that you will fall gracefully.