I was looking forward to stepping on the scale this morning!

Options
I had a great couple of days..went on several long hikes, was generally more active, stayed with the eating routine. I was really looking forward to seeing my progress at the end of the weekend. To my astonishment, I actually gained 2/10 of a pound. I've been at this for 6 weeks now, and although I feel better, and yes, my clothes fit better, why am I not seeing any downward movement of the scale??? and, I guess the more important question for me is why is it so important to see those numbers go down? I'm determined to not let this discourage me, but it really sucks!

Replies

• emmarose1990
    Options
    I feel for you!

I lost half a pound this week and expected it to be more. But at least you can tell that your clothes fit better and that you feel better in yourself - you have to remember that's the most important part!

I can empathise with the part about needing to see the numbers go down though - it's almost as if nothing counts until those scales proclaim "Yes" You've lost x amount!"

Stay positive though, and if you already feel better then something must be working! :flowerforyou:
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Frustrating . . .believe me, I know! Keep in mind that as you walk around day to day people will see you, looking fitter and trimmer. They do not know that your scale didn't move down, they will know your waistline did. Keep up the healthy choices, the weight will come off, meanwhile, be proud of the new shape your body is becoming!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're toning up (which it sounds like you are), then it may take a while to see it on the scales. We're all mesmerised by the numbers on the scale we forget that it is not the only indicator.......looser clothes is a great NSV so don't be disheartened :flowerforyou:

Sue :smile: x
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I try to pass this on to everyone thats just starting out. The scale lies.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/221081-read-this-am-i-fat-why-body-fat-percentage-is-more-impor
  • Velma73
    Velma73 Posts: 5
    Options
    I hear your pain...I actually gained today....I, too, am trying not to feel the frustration. I keep asking myself these two things...

1. Is my muscle building (cloths fitting better, etc) negating the weight loss? That is very possible.

2. Am I retaining water? Now that it's summertime, the heat and humidity can sometimes do that.

And I decided to start tracking my sodium intake to help manage the water retention!!
  • DawnyB1210
    DawnyB1210 Posts: 55
    Options
    This was a great article! Even though the scale might not be moving, I my clothes are definitely fitting better and I feel better, and that's the most important thing. Thanks for sharing!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're toning up (which it sounds like you are), then it may take a while to see it on the scales. We're all mesmerised by the numbers on the scale we forget that it is not the only indicator.......looser clothes is a great NSV so don't be disheartened :flowerforyou:

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but a pound of muscle is denser than fat. I have seen the analogy that a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of cotton balls...but guess which one is bigger and takes up more space? :-) Get the measuring tape out..if your clothes fit better that is awesome! Usually the gaining muscle weight doesn't truly happen until you have gotten close to your goal...I think? Keep it up!! :-)))
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, but a pound of muscle is denser than fat. I have seen the analogy that a pound of lead weighs the same as a pound of cotton balls...but guess which one is bigger and takes up more space? :-) Get the measuring tape out..if your clothes fit better that is awesome! Usually the gaining muscle weight doesn't truly happen until you have gotten close to your goal...I think? Keep it up!! :-)))