5x5 workout

Hi I'm trying to gain some weight because for most of my life I have been skinny and have hated it I am trying to gain about 15-20 pounds so I was looking around and I saw the 5x5 workout. So i was wondering if anyone has used it and if you have how was it and if there are any better workouts for beginners . im a 5' 10 male if that helps.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    It's a great program. I'm using it on a deficit right now as I lose. I'd imagine you would want a little more volume if you want to gain, you could check out Ice Cream Fitness which is similar except with some accessory lifts as well.
  • flex32111
    flex32111 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2015
    A 5x5 workout is going to be your best bet if you are a beginner, like you said. If you need any help with tips on how to bulk you should check out my youtube channel, I post videos daily and can help you bulk, get a 6 pack, or get stronger. Also could you subscribe to my channel. Here is my transformation video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTMg1wCVmw
  • yahyam997
    yahyam997 Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2015
    T
  • yahyam997
    edited September 2015
    D
  • yahyam997
    flex32111 wrote: »
    A 5x5 workout is going to be your best bet if you are a beginner, like you said. If you need any help with tips on how to bulk you should check out my youtube channel, I post videos daily and can help you bulk, get a 6 pack, or get stronger. Also could you subscribe to my channel. Here is my transformation video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTMg1wCVmw
    Thanks I just subscribed to your account so I'm hoping it will help me out.

• flex32111
    flex32111 Posts: 10 Member
    Thx man, and ya trust me you will get stronger and build muscle. I have done a similar program to this when I was a beginner. I now have 5 years under my belt, but I was exactly where you were at when I first started off, except you now have me as a mentor man, if you have any questions at all, post on any of my youtube vids and I will answer that question for you, I check my messages daily and always reply to every single comment I get. Also for building muscle and getting stronger make sure you track your calories
  • yahyam997
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's a great program. I'm using it on a deficit right now as I lose. I'd imagine you would want a little more volume if you want to gain, you could check out Ice Cream Fitness which is similar except with some accessory lifts as well.
    Thanks I will definitely take your advice and use this program.

• _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Did Stronglifts, good program but you can't continue it forever; You will develop some interesting muscle imbalances and overuses injuries if you try. You eventually need to supplement with a few isolation movements every workout. I found my shoulder joint got very imbalanced and I was getting an impingement because my front delts were getting hit a ton, but my back development was seriously lacking. My hip flexors also got real pissed at squatting 3-4 times per week also. I eventually had to sub in leg pressing every other workout to give my hip flexors time off. You might also need isolation exercises to bust up a stubborn plateau every now and then. Overall, these big compound movements will be the meat and potatoes of any program, so it's important to get them down, but also it's important to recognize when you are ready for an intermediate level program with more variety and a bit more volume.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    edited September 2015
    5x5 is a great base. Sounds like you are fairly new to lifting and is a great beginner program. As for bulking, it all comes down to eating enough. Eat a lot and train hard and you will see results but don't expect to gain 30 lbs of muscle in a year. It takes time.