Really Frustrated :(

Options
Hello all -

I have been counting my calories for almost a month now and I go to the gym at least 4 days a week for over an hour. I am so frustrated in the fact that I have only lost 1 POUND!!!! Seriously!?!? Sometimes I don't even know why I try. I do have PCOS and I know (as it has been my whole life) it is 10x more difficult to lose weight with this condition. On top of counting calories I have been also only eating Low Glycemic Index foods because that is supposed to help one's blood-sugar (key issue in PCOS) and yet I still am not seeing any results...

I usually drink a protein shake for breakfast, salad and fruit for lunch, and for dinner either grilled or baked chicken and veggies...and I drink a ton of water...

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can change or what I can add / subtract from my diet?

Replies

• ksmittens
    ksmittens Posts: 65
    Options
    we are in the same boat. I actually am starting to zig zag my calories starting today to see if this helps me. I am not really sure as to why I am having such a hard time, losing 5lbs here or there use to be fairly easy but I have been calorie counting for 3 weeks and working out 4-5 days of the week with no loss. Try zig zagging I hear its supposed to break the plateau...im optimistic and determined not to give up!
  • moPOETRYtion
    Options
    Hello all -

I have been counting my calories for almost a month now and I go to the gym at least 4 days a week for over an hour. I am so frustrated in the fact that I have only lost 1 POUND!!!! Seriously!?!? Sometimes I don't even know why I try. I do have PCOS and I know (as it has been my whole life) it is 10x more difficult to lose weight with this condition. On top of counting calories I have been also only eating Low Glycemic Index foods because that is supposed to help one's blood-sugar (key issue in PCOS) and yet I still am not seeing any results...

I usually drink a protein shake for breakfast, salad and fruit for lunch, and for dinner either grilled or baked chicken and veggies...and I drink a ton of water...

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can change or what I can add / subtract from my diet?

I am no expert, but are you eating your exercise calories? If you are only eating your "food calories" but not replacing what you burn, it could be why you are holding onto weight. How are your clothes fitting?
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    Are you getting enough calories? Maybe, change your workout routine a little. When I started out, it took me 2 weeks to lose 1/2 a lb. Very frustrating! Just stick with it, don't give up. Also, do you feel better? Are you clothes fitting better? Results aren't only only on the scale. (Sorry, I don't know what PCOS is.) These are just a few things that help me when I am getting frustrated. Good luck to you! :happy:
  • Micheledc
    Micheledc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I too eat right all the time, limiting my calories to 1,200 a day and I go to the gym 5-6 times a week! I would love some suggestions too from others. I weigh too much and work really hard everyday and it takes me a whole month to lose 1 pound! Help!!!!!
  • mierla
    mierla Posts: 25
    Options
    A big thing- are you eating your exercise calories back? And also, get that tape measure out!!! Start looking at your inches lost for a while :) Hope I helped!!

EDIT: Also if you've set it to lose 2lbs a week, maybe your body is too shocked and holding on to that weight, especially if you have a lot to lose. Change it to losing 1lb a week and see what happens.
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    Do you think you are getting enough calories?
    Make your diet public so others can see. We all might be able to help better.

http://soulcysters.com/weight_loss.html

Sticking to a special diet is a very important aspect of PCOS care. Some women with PCOS find success by reducing their total intake of carbohydrates (cereals, breads, pastas) and choosing to eat different types of carbohydrates that are less processed (whole wheat, brown rice, beans). Replacing manufactured carbohydrate products with whole grains, fruits and vegetables can help to reduce your insulin response. The diet also should include enough protein to control the amount of sugar in the blood. (source: Hormone.org)

According to many studies, women with PCOS can improve their insulin resistance just with moderate activity. Even if you exercise and don't lose weight, you are still reaping very important health benefits. Exercise has been shown to improve use of insulin and can support dietary interventions to promote weight loss; it is important that the exercise program chosen is enjoyable for the PCOS woman

I'm not a doctor but understand how frustrating this can be. My wife has celiac disease and weight loss has been very hard on her.
  • designtu
    designtu Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert at all but have you tried increasing your calories a bit? I had read that if you limit your calories too much, you can actually slow your metabolism down and struggle that much more with your diet. I added 200 calories a day and started losing more weight, but I'm a pretty big guy so perhaps trying an extra 100 calories a day and see if that boost the metabolism a little. Something to look into at least.
  • bryals
    bryals Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm sure your probably doing everything right but I also know how you feel I 25 pounds from my goal and have been at the same weight for three weeks without losing anything sometimes gaining a few and working even harder to lose those couple pounds just to bottom out again. One thing I have noticed with my efforts other than the sugars like you discribe is my sodium being high. each time I control my sodium for a while I start losing again. Today was a good day for me coming off the weekend I actually lost four pounds but I have been controling that sodium level for a while too and it has finally helped.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks guys for your support. Actually, my clothes aren't fitting better. They actually feel tighter! I am just so frustrated, as I know we all are at some points. I will try to eat my calories back after working out - should I eat more veggies?

Just for clarification - PCOS is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It affects a person's hormone levels a lot as well as their blood sugar level. Because of this, insulin sky rockets and unwanted fat is stored (mostly for women - within the middle/waistline - which is my biggest problem area). I am on meds to help with the hormone levels but my blood sugar level is not high enough to take a medication like Metformin (most diabetics are on this med). This is a good thing of course - but I am still feeling the affects of the insulin.

Sorry -that was a ramble! Just wanted to clarify. Thanks so much for your support again - this is a great site :wink:
  • lejess
    lejess Posts: 63
    Options
    we are in the same boat. I actually am starting to zig zag my calories starting today to see if this helps me. I am not really sure as to why I am having such a hard time, losing 5lbs here or there use to be fairly easy but I have been calorie counting for 3 weeks and working out 4-5 days of the week with no loss. Try zig zagging I hear its supposed to break the plateau...im optimistic and determined not to give up!
    I dont know anything about PCOS, but I do agree with this post. I have tried zig zagging before and it works! Plus you can alternate your zig zag days. So if you have like a big dinner out planned for Friday night, but Friday is supposed to be your 1200 calorie day. Swap your 1800 calorie day for Friday. Make sense?
    It has helped me get through plateaus before. Something to consider. :happy:
  • ajjd
    ajjd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had really good results recently with interval training -- rather than spend a long time on cardio, cut the time to about 20 minutes and go one minute at your max, one minute rest etc. Also supersets with body weight and dumbells. I'm not a fitness expert in any way but I found some good sources on the internet. Also, be sure to eat enough calories -- eating too little can prevent you from losing. Sorry I don't know what PCOS is but I hope this helps.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It's interesting reading all your comments as I too have been frustrated at my slow weight loss, especially when you consider how quickly it went on! However I have found myself inadvertently going over my daily allowance and even running for 4 miles per day only burns off 400 calories.

One thing which doesn't help me is too much fruit - it's so easy to snack on but I was told sometime ago that too much fruit can restrict your weight loss. Something to do with it's natural sugar? Can't remember the details but I try to limit it to one apple, pear and banana per day.

B x
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Add in lots of soluable fiber. It won't make the weightloss fast, but it will make it possible. Good luck, you're in for one heck of a fight.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I had hit a plateau and not lost anything for 4 weeks. I have a thyroid condition that (currently) is lowering my metabolism (it fluctuates). A couple of weeks ago I started the leptin diet, and I finally broke through the plateau. Basically it's only eating 3 times a day and waiting 5-6 hrs between meals. The idea is that your fat-burning metabolism doesn't kick in until 2-3 hrs after a meal, so if you snack, you don't hit that fat burning phase. Most importantly, though, is the fat burning that occurs at night, so absolutely no snacking after dinner and at least 10-12 hrs between dinner and breakfast plus getting a good nights sleep every night (8 hrs). Apparently this is when we burn most of that unwanted belly fat. So if we eat late at night or don't sleep enough, we sabotage our fat burning. (Now for all you folks who will say "I always snack at night and I am losing," that's great, but this diet is to get the OPTIMUM fat burning especially for folks who may have insulin and/or leptin resistance and/or hormone problems. If you're not on the diet it doesn't mean you won't lose.)

Also, the diet suggests eating a lot of protein for breakfast, 50/50 protein/carbs for lunch and dinner, and a lighter dinner, but heavier breakfast and lunch. Also, you're supposed to eat slowly and stop eating right before you get full. (I have a bit of a problem with this so I continue counting calories using MFP since I know that I usually get full at around 400 calories. My natural ability to determine fullness is a bit messed up, although this diet is helping me know this and get in touch with my body.)

Personal experience with this diet: I thought it would be really difficult to give up snacks, but it's been really easy! I get hungry just about 5 hrs after eating a good meal. And night snacking is not a problem either. I think that eating a good fully-balanced meal truly is better than eating/grazing all day like I used to. Bottom line - I broke through my plateau.

If you want more information, the author of the diet (and book) is Byron Richards.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eliminating all processed, white carbs and limit the complex carbs you eat to less than 100g a day. Most of that should come from veggies. If you do eat complex carbs, try things like Ezekiel bread, very small potato incl skin, or brown rice. No sweets or sweeteners (although Stevia doesn't affect blood sugar levels). Increase your protein levels to at least 30% of your diet. Eat lots of boneless, skinless chicken, egg whites, greek yogurt, skim milk, lean (90% at least) beef, uncured baked ham along with lots of veggies and only the occasional, small serving of carbs (pasta, rice, potato, cereal, bread).
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I would suggest eliminating all processed, white carbs and limit the complex carbs you eat to less than 100g a day. Most of that should come from veggies. If you do eat complex carbs, try things like Ezekiel bread, very small potato incl skin, or brown rice. No sweets or sweeteners (although Stevia doesn't affect blood sugar levels). Increase your protein levels to at least 30% of your diet. Eat lots of boneless, skinless chicken, egg whites, greek yogurt, skim milk, lean (90% at least) beef, uncured baked ham along with lots of veggies and only the occasional, small serving of carbs (pasta, rice, potato, cereal, bread).

Thanks for your input.:happy: Sadly, I have been doing JUST that. I guess with the metabolism I've been 'blessed' with as long as the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - my body hates me! haha :cry:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input.:happy: Sadly, I have been doing JUST that. I guess with the metabolism I've been 'blessed' with as long as the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - my body hates me! haha :cry:

Then I suggest patience :). I recently had a 6 week plateau and I stuck it out because...hey, my body cannot defy physics entirely or forever. So eventually, I dropped a few pounds. I just happen to lose weight that way...in bunches. Nothing..nothing..nothing..nothing...bam! Loss!

So no cheating, weigh, measure and log everything, eat enough, keep up the good work and eventually, the weight has to come off.:flowerforyou: