I can't eat bread

Options
so I'm on this diet and I can't eat pasta or bread.... I'm going to see my boyfriend tomorrow. And we get a hotel everytime I go see him. So we can't cook. What should I do if we go to a fast food place?!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    What kind of "diet" is that and why are you on it? I don't eat fast food, but I hear that most of them have salad. And/or take the bun off your hamburger and just eat the meat. I don't think I'd last a week on a diet with no pasta or bread. So I'm glad I didn't do that!
  • aackerly0489
    aackerly0489 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hahahahha... Well I'm trying to cut it out its my weakness
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts with broccoli and brown rice
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Work up an appetite with your boyfriend at the hotel.
    Go out to dinner and enjoy yourself.
    Get dessert "to go"
    Work off any additional calories back at the hotel.

Problem solved.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Look up the menu choices of restaurants in the area.

Get food that isn't a sandwich.

Many fast food places have salads. I like the chicken, apple, cranberry salad at Burger King.

Get a sandwich and toss the bread.

Go to a restaurant that isn't fast food.

Go to a grocery store and buy food instead of getting fast food. You could buy a rotisserie chicken from the deli or something, some salad or other ready to eat vegetables, fruit, cheese, or yogurt.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer would be to order food that doesn't have bread or that has easily-removed bread (like a burger.) But I'm assuming you've thought of that and dismissed the obvious answer.

Is there some other reason this is especially difficult?
  • aackerly0489
    Options
    It's difficult because I'm scared that I'm gonna get off the wagon again... And burgers and chicken sandwich Are my favorite. And i just feel like I'm just gonna forget my diet.
  • WinoGelato
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The fact that you view this as a diet, that you think that simply being in a restaurant would make you "forget", tells me you aren't approaching this as a lifestyle change but as a temporary solution to a problem. Are you never going to eat bread or go to a restaurant again for the rest of your life? What happens when the diet is over?

There's no reason you can't eat bread, burgers, and chicken sandwiches and lose weight. Everything in moderation.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    It's difficult because I'm scared that I'm gonna get off the wagon again... And burgers and chicken sandwich Are my favorite. And i just feel like I'm just gonna forget my diet.

Then pick it up again the next day. Don't "pig out" on your holiday. But, if you over do one day, get back on track the next. Of course, you could always worry yourself into a feeding frenzy ;-)
  • aackerly0489
    Options
    Iam making a lifestyle. I have been making clean eating a lifestyle all my life but I always get off the wagon and gain weight Again. I'm not eating bread b/c that is what makes me gain weight. My body has slow metabolism. It will asborbe anything that has sugar.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Iam making a lifestyle. I have been making clean eating a lifestyle all my life but I always get off the wagon and gain weight Again. I'm not eating bread b/c that is what makes me gain weight. My body has slow metabolism. It will asborbe anything that has sugar.

Eating more calories than you burn is what makes you gain weight, not the bread. It's fine if you want to eat clean or reduce/eliminate carbs, that can help you create a calorie deficit. But if you are being too restrictive that may be why you "fall off the wagon" and end up feeling guilty. If you plan to have a chicken sandwich for dinner, and it fits into your calorie goals for the day, then that is not falling off the wagon and you will not undo your progress. Now with that said, if you've been eating low carb and "clean" (whatever that means to you) you may see a temporary increase from water weight due to sodium and increased carbs. It's temporary.
  • jsmestflowers
    jsmestflowers Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The thing is that losing weight and eating healthy can be the same thing, but they don't have to be. You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies (I would not recommend this approach). Paleo is healthy (it's the diet I am on) but if you eat a chicken sandwich on occasion and stay under your calorie limit your still going to lose weight. Now, as someone who loves a filet-o-fish sandwich (double hex, bread and fast food :)) I have no problem indulging on occasion (in fast yesterday) but I am watchful of the calorie goals. Bread is not the devil, its just not as healthy as some other things you could be eating. Moderation is key. Have a good time with your boyfriend!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Work up an appetite with your boyfriend at the hotel.
    Go out to dinner and enjoy yourself.
    Get dessert "to go"
    Work off any additional calories back at the hotel.

Problem solved.
    Ha, ^this is great advice.

Also, try getting food a places with options. Many fast food places have salads now, and places like chipotle or other casual dining also have lots of non-carb heavy options. Or go to a sit down restaurant and enjoy your time together.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat bread or pasta, you should avoid eating bread or pasta if you go to a fast food place.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    So are you going to stop eating bread forever? If not, what are you going to do when you've reached your goal?

That's how people gain weight back. Stop 'dieting'. Find a SUSTAINABLE way to lose weight. You don't have to cut anything out.

This isn't how it works.
  • auddii
    Options

There is no wagon. If you are making changes that aren't sustainable for you, you will continue to set yourself up for failure. Many people can cut out carbs without issue, but it sounds like that may not be viable for you long term. Perhaps try adding in bread in smaller amounts.

I feel your pain, I used to buy a loaf of bread and sit down and eat the whole thing. I could not moderate it. My solution was to stop buying it for the house, but I would have a single portion out at a restaurant. For me, it was a good option. I can now have some bread in the house, and it's not as much of a problem (there are still times I have to work through some binging tendencies, but that's not directly related to having bread in the house).
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

There is no wagon.

Yes, this is something I've been propagating. There is no wagon! There is you, your body, and the food you eat. If you're "off the wagon" then it's not a "lifestyle change".

One of the best recommendations I've heard is to "lose as you intend to maintain."
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

There is no wagon.

Yes, this is something I've been propagating. There is no wagon! There is you, your body, and the food you eat. If you're "off the wagon" then it's not a "lifestyle change".

One of the best recommendations I've heard is to "lose as you intend to maintain."

So much this. I am going to start using that "There is no wagon!"

• kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would say go and enjoy your meal out with your boyfriend!

Last weekend was my first wedding anniversary with my husband. We went out to the restaurant that hosted our reception and we had a bruschetta plate to start, I ordered a linguine pasta, and had a chocolate cake for dessert. Drank 2 glasses of wine and a chai latte. Had a beer later that night.

I didn't log the meal, but I'm back to eating at a deficit this week and I did not gain. It's 1 meal. I have no regrets, you shouldn't either! Once the meal is over, it's back on track!

Like others have said, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. If I had told myself I wasn't allowed to order what I wanted, it would have made me a little sad and would have only made me want pasta even more the next time we went out. You can have everything you want in moderation.
  • auddii
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

There is no wagon.

So much this. I am going to start using that "There is no wagon!"

If only I was cool enough to make a meme similar to this with a wagon:
    bb0a027dd777251624b57abc50c112a4.jpg

It's a good analogy though; once Neo realizes that he is in control of his surroundings, he can make changes. I kind of feel the same way of when it "clicks" for people how weight loss works. Once you realize how CICO works, you can change your intake to become the person you want to be.

It's said over and over again, there are many, many ways to control intake and ways to eat, but it all comes down to finding a sustainable way to eat at a lower calorie goal that is appropriate for a moderate rate of weight loss. And then this easily translates when you're ready to eat at maintenance (or even if you're bulking).