Road bikes

Options
Ive had my driving licence revoked for a year (due to medical conditions) I need advice on road bikes for women to keep up my fitness as I won't be able to get to many classes!!
I was so motivated and now I feel so disheartened as it was so easy just driving!

Hopefully they'll be a bike fanatic out there!
Ill only be a beginner haha!

Replies

• pauldm1
    pauldm1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look at specialized. They make amazing road and hybrid bikes in the entry level range that arent too expensive but provide great bang for buck. Also other brands like cannondale, trek, bmc, giant, scott. Bikes are great these days and frankly its hard to buy a "bad" bike as long as youre buying from a reputable brand. Id also suggest looking at hybrids because they give you the benefits of road bikes but can also be ridden on some moderate trails or dirt should you ever choose to do so.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Road bike typically refers to bikes geared for speed and long distance. They're highly efficient but some find them less comfortable and they can get pricey. Hybrids or commuter bikes will typically yield a comfortable ride plus you can throw panniers on them for runs to the grocery store and such. The brands Paul mentioned are all quite good. I'd check out Kona as well. I think they give you a little more bike for your buck although in general all the brands mentioned will give you a very similar bike at a given price point. An $800 Trek will have about the same components as an $800 Specialized or an $800 Giant.

Local Bike shop is a pretty good place to start. It's really as simply as riding a few, seeing what you like and what fits your budget and riding off on one.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    The two most important things are a bike that fits you (and therefore you feel comfortable riding) and one which is suited to the type of riding you want to do.

Go to a few bike shops. Sit on and test ride a selection of bikes which fit your budget. Buy the one you love riding. It will be pretty obvious which one it is.

Everything else is secondary.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Decide if you're going to be the rider who changes into a bike outfit and does a workout on the bike, or would you rather wear normal clothes and ride slower (and less sweaty) to get to where you want to go? Ie, workout vs transport. It can be both if you plan ahead.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its tough to get a bad bike. I'll admit to not being overly impressed with my wife's Specialized Dolce, but lots of Specialized stuff are great.

Jamis and Fuji are two other companies that make great value for your money bikes.

Great advice on picking the right bike for you in here. Also, I cannot overstate enough how important it is to have your bike set up properly for you. It will make a world of difference.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Women over about 5'5" or so can fit on men's bikes just fine, so a women's specific bike isn't always necessary. At that point, it comes down to preference.

How much and what kind of riding do you plan to do?

Honestly, I'd go used for your first bike. If you're not comfortable with used, then anything entry level from Cannondale, Specialized, Trek, or Giant will probably be just fine. Department store bikes are also fine, but it can't hurt to have a bike shop give it a once over before you ride it to make sure it's assembled correctly and everything is tight and secure.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    Yeah, its tough to get a bad bike. I'll admit to not being overly impressed with my wife's Specialized Dolce, but lots of Specialized stuff are great.

Jamis and Fuji are two other companies that make great value for your money bikes.

Great advice on picking the right bike for you in here. Also, I cannot overstate enough how important it is to have your bike set up properly for you. It will make a world of difference.

I have the Specialized Dolce Elite and am not overly fond of it either. I am very short (5'0), so my options were limited to women's specific bikes. There is a limit to how high I can inflate the tires on this bike or I get rubbing on the front fork. It's due to the size of the bike, but I would recommend not limiting yourself to women's specific bikes if you are tall enough to fit comfortably on a standard bike. I've found that the selection for women on road bikes at many bike stores is not too good.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    ovidnine wrote: »

I have the Specialized Dolce Elite and am not overly fond of it either. I am very short (5'0), so my options were limited to women's specific bikes. There is a limit to how high I can inflate the tires on this bike or I get rubbing on the front fork. It's due to the size of the bike, but I would recommend not limiting yourself to women's specific bikes if you are tall enough to fit comfortably on a standard bike. I've found that the selection for women on road bikes at many bike stores is not too good.

Yeah, that's how my wife ended up with it too. She's 5'2 in tennis shoes and this was pretty much the only option locally. Jamis makes some neat looking women's bikes that seemed nicer, but the nearest Jamis dealer to me is about and hour away.

Its ok, but for its price, I wasn't impressed. She likes it for the most part which matters more than my opinion. lol

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike shop; they'll set you up and probably can hook you up with some riding clubs.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    What Robyn says...go to your local bike shop. You can talk to someone and best of all you can ride it before you buy.