Can exercise actually cause you to gain weight?

Options
I have been posting a great deal the last two days. Everything I have learned about diet and exercise seems to be wrong...Anyway, I was eating at a deficit for 2 weeks. I was walking at least 3 miles or a 5k every other day. I actually gained weight. Now, the week before I started that, I was not really exercising and was eating at a deficit. I lost 3 lbs. What's up with that? I do tend to gain muscle quickly but really?
Any thoughts on this crazy thing?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes it can cause you to gain weight since you may retain water to help with muscle repair.

The odds of gaining an appreciable amount of muscle while eating in a deficit for two weeks are slim. Very slim.
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I'd chalk it up to water weight and look at the long-term trends instead.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ^ What they said. It's normal for the scale to go up from water retention when you're just starting a new exercise. It will even out over the next week or so.

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »
    I have been posting a great deal the last two days. Everything I have learned about diet and exercise seems to be wrong...Anyway, I was eating at a deficit for 2 weeks. I was walking at least 3 miles or a 5k every other day. I actually gained weight. Now, the week before I started that, I was not really exercising and was eating at a deficit. I lost 3 lbs. What's up with that? I do tend to gain muscle quickly but really?
    Any thoughts on this crazy thing?

Likely water weight. You're not going to build muscle walking.