Weekends Clashing with Weight Loss Goals, Help!

Options
Okay, so I'm officially becoming obsessed with calorie counting. I'm upping the exercise, but the weekends are killing my whole set-up. I work really hard to try to stay motivated, but when my boyfriend comes over, who I only get to see on the weekends, I find myself just wanting to lay in bed all day with him. Then of course, there is the going out to eat. I ate a Veggie Fat Cat (no cheese, no mayo, no onions) on Friday night (Saturday) at like 2 a.m.. Saturday, I kept up with the calories, or tried to do a better of job, but didn't exercise. and Sunday, I ate almost a whole banana nut bread (Trader Joe's kind with extra nuts and added bananas into the mix) with 3 So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream Sandwiches.

Now, I'm trying to not beat myself up.

But, I'm worried, I'm never going to reach my fitness goal if this keeps happening. I'm sure it wont always be as bad as this weekend, but somehow my boyfriend and I getting together creates utter laziness, sometimes. What can I do during the week to allow myself a little gluttony on the weekends? I don't want to be calorie counting and obsessing over dieting when I'm relaxing with my boo. But, I don't want to get off track.

Any advice besides the obvious, which would be to stay on track on the weekends too? This would be ideal, but after a long week of work, I kind of just want to relax.

Replies

• msminyon
    msminyon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was close to doing the same thing at home on the weekends. I just stopped and bought myself better snacks to keep around the house for the weekends. almonds, peanut butter crackers...almond granola bars. would a change like that help? You can put almonds in a zip lock baggie and put them in your purse for a snack on the go.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You can relax on the weekends, as in no exercise, but you still need to watch what you eat. It's going to be a never ending cycle otherwise. I'm in the same boat, I only see my boyfriend on the weekends but I make it a point to at least workout on Saturday when I know that we'll probably do a lot of eating out. I exercise, he plays Call of Duty. I'm sure he can find something to do for an hour while you get in a workout. Eat the things you want but in smaller portions.
  • Magwoman0220
    Magwoman0220 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree. To snack more on the weekends is a given. You have extra time to relax, but I just try to make sure the snacks are still healthy. If the snacks are relatively healthy, then not too much damage has been done.
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hope this doesn't sound too intrusive...but maybe you could mention all of this to your boyfriend, ask him for help in reaching your goals? My wife supports me in anything I want to do, and I try very hard to do the same for her. The only thing stopping us is when we don't let each other know what we want.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the odd girl out here. I treat the weekends like any other day. Sunday is my day of rest, so I don't work out. I do log foods 7 days a week! I guess for me its just not worth it knowing I"d prob gain weight by eating junk I don't need, then be upset about it when it happens.

Can you and your boo cook a healthy meal at home and not eat so late? Instead of the whole loaf of banana bread just have a slice and freeze the rest. Maybe you and boo go for a walk together outside (if its nice).
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't really treat the weekend any differently than a weekday. I do sometimes treat myself with icecream, cookies, or chips on the weekend, but I log it BEFORE I eat it to make sure I stay within my calorie allowance. If you really want to splurge, just exercise more. Planning ahead really does help me.
  • Magwoman0220
    Magwoman0220 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My hubby does the same thing. Plays video games while I bust my *kitten* exercising. He doesn't complain, though, because the effects of my working out and eating right are very pleasing to him, lol.
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    i really find myself struggling with classifying foods as "bad". This weekend I had potato chips, ice cream, and beer. But I watched my portions. I think if we continue the old dieting habits of having "good" and "bad" foods, we're going to think we screwed up when we do eat them and then completely overdo it. If you really want to eat something, just have a smaller amount. But most important, think about whether you REALLY want it. I had spumoni ice cream at the Old Spaghetti Factory last night. I've never really liked it and at 180 calories for a tiny scoop, I'm not sure if it was worth it. :)
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    Sorry, dupe! :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My hubby does the same thing. Plays video games while I bust my *kitten* exercising. He doesn't complain, though, because the effects of my working out and eating right are very pleasing to him, lol.

This is similar to what happens in my house too. Trade the video games for a farming magazine and a bowl of icecream while I'm exercising!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Work out what your maintenance calories might be and try to stick to them if you find you've gone over your target. Think of yourself as a thin person in training :laugh:
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    So weekends got you going overboard? This is what works for me. THERE IS NO WEEKEND IN BEING HEALTHY. Your body does not care that it is Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, or even Thursday for that matter. Everyday is an opportunity to make healthy choices. Are we going to falter? Hell yeah. Should we stop eating everything we love but shouldn't? Hell No. But, what we do after we stumble is what counts. If you went a little(or a lot) overboard on a particular day, make up for it in the gym sooner or later. This is a lifetime journey, and one "weekend" will not break you. Just keep logging in your caloric intake, calories burned, and always look for support on MFP. Remember why you needed to change your lifestyle in the first place, and stay on course.

BTW, I seem to do better on weekends because I am more in control of my time as compared to my work week where my lunchtime may fluctuate. Keep up the awesome job, and may the force of healthiness be with you always.

E.
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I am in a similar boat with my husband. I can do well on the weekdays when I don't have as much temptation, but on the weekends I have ALOT of trouble.
    Have you thought about saving calories for the weekend? I should eat 1680 per day, but I could eat 1530 on weekdays then 2050 on weekends. This may help you to stay within your calorie goals and to not feel too guilty about the weekends.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Why not plan some type of physical activity you guys can both do together like go for a bike ride or go conoeing or a nature hike. At least if your are moving it will help offset the extra calories.
  • tracimy9
    tracimy9 Posts: 15
    Options
    My main comment is the same as the other person said about planning some excercise you can do together. Especially if that's your only time you see each other, then try to go for a bike ride or a big walk together...it doesn't have to be super hardcore like spin class, just something to keep you moving. I had to get my husband on board with that and he wanted to spend time with me on the wknds, so he agreed. Sometimes, we plan to ride our bikes or walk to go somewhere for brunch or lunch and that helps, too.

The weekends are a common problem for those of us trying to lose weight & eat healthy. You're definitely not alone in that or in beating yourself up after...just try not to be too hard on yourself & get right back on track. Getting back on track this morning is the only thing that keeps me from kicking myself for everything I took in this wknd.
  • capogirl728
    capogirl728 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We do exercise together usually on Fridays and Saturdays since we are both Martial Artist. That's how we met. He beat me up the first time we met. haha. The problem is that I broke my toe, and doctor said not to train for 2 weeks. All I can do is jog, which I love to do. I made him promise that he won't drive me to the supermarket for ice cream anymore. haha.
  • tracimy9
    tracimy9 Posts: 15
    Options
    It sounds like he is on board, so you're not doing so bad at all! I tend to think about it too much & beat myself up, too, so I hear ya. I've made a big effort to just make sure that while I'm trying not to obsess on the wknds that I have healthier options around the house to eat. Like carrots or zuchinni with hummus instead of chips, or cashews or almonds, even if they are the cocoa ones. I've also been making a big production out of making a healthy yet interesting/different breakfast whenever we do get up, that kind of starts it off better for me.