What's your action plan for the Winter months?

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Winter is actually easiest for me (fitness compliance wise), bc I mostly need to do stuff in the gym, and it's hard to resist the desire to be outdoors during sunny days (but I can't do tons of outdoor things. Like it pains me to be inside when it's gorgeous out.)

Exercise boosts my mood, so it's a huge help with coping with the misery of winter. My gym is really close by, I walk there - I have a very warm coat and good waterproof boots that make getting there no big thing.

If you work out at home, get really good lighting, paint, put plants in there - make it a comfortable, energizing space.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like autumn and winter months best and find it much easier to lose weight around this time of year. I live in the UK, in semi rural Wales. If I didn't go out in the cold and dark I wouldn't leave the house for half the year! I just get my coat, hat, gloves, waterproofs and wellies on and go out walking as normal. I love going for a walk in the winter evenings and getting back home to a nice warm and cosy house.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    discnjh wrote: »
    I live in southern Louisiana, so it's the opposite for me. Running is easy and actually pleasant from mid fall to mid spring. Meanwhile, running during the summer is a constant test of will.

Haha! Yes! I am in Texas. We do go through a bit of a cold spell around Jan/Feb but as much as I hate the cold, I prefer running in it to the 100+ degree days of summer.
    Hey, it's only 85 at 4:30 in the morning!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Fall is a glorious time of the year, my favorite time of the year.

I so agree with this sentence. I'm a hiker and there is nothing I love more than crunching through the fallen leaves surrounded by all the beautiful fall colors. Winter is another story. Where I live it is either piling up snow or the snow is melting and a freezing rain is falling. Makes hiking on the steep hills precarious.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    My plan is to keep myself bundled up and warm. Last winter I had already lost quite a bit of my 'insulation' and every time I started to feel cold my instinct was to get food to warm me up; instead it should have been to put on more clothing.

When I figured this out it really made me wonder just how many times in my life did I eat to remedy being cold.

Last winter was particularly miserable for me, I used to love winter too, not so much anymore. Not looking forward to it one bit.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I plan to just keep doing what I'm doing, and forgive holiday dinners and parties.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My plan is to bulk during over the winter because holidays and I don't like being out in cold weather.

What does "cold" mean to a Texan?

• tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    My plan is to keep myself bundled up and warm. Last winter I had already lost quite a bit of my 'insulation' and every time I started to feel cold my instinct was to get food to warm me up; instead it should have been to put on more clothing.

When I figured this out it really made me wonder just how many times in my life did I eat to remedy being cold.

Last winter was particularly miserable for me, I used to love winter too, not so much anymore. Not looking forward to it one bit.

The last two were absolutely brutal in my area. I also used to like crisp air, pretty snow, etc when I was younger, but now HATE winter and everything to do with it. (That's why I need exercise most then & it's easy to do.) +1 stay as warm as possible and make everything around you as cozy and bright as possible. Use any trick you can think of - colours (I refuse to wear anything black, so depressing), definitely as much light as possible (I'm thinking of getting a SAD lamp).

Oh also - VITAMIN D3 DROPS WILL SAVE YOU
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    discnjh wrote: »
    I live in southern Louisiana, so it's the opposite for me. Running is easy and actually pleasant from mid fall to mid spring. Meanwhile, running during the summer is a constant test of will.

Haha! Yes! I am in Texas. We do go through a bit of a cold spell around Jan/Feb but as much as I hate the cold, I prefer running in it to the 100+ degree days of summer.
    Hey, it's only 85 at 4:30 in the morning!

Right? I plan my walks/runs to end at sunset now. It's still hot but at least the sun is not BAKING my face off.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Great replies :smile: a good healthy conversation for a change and hopefully put it in the front of your mind so you can begin formulating a plan.

I live in New England, enough said!
    Almost all of my activities are confined to gyms/fitness centers so I don't mind the indoor stuff too much, but I do love to run so that will come to an end if we get another 20 feet of snow this year! LOL!

This will be my first set of holidays without my mom :( so all of the comforting holiday treats won't be around, so I won't have to worry about that part of it.

Shovel!!!

I lost my Dad last year. Condolences.

• tomatoey
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My plan is to bulk during over the winter because holidays and I don't like being out in cold weather.

Yeah I really can't take that seriously at all.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Snow and darkness is an issue for me in the winter so I'll be relying on my treadmill more. I don't mind walking and jogging in the snow but it's impossible with the stroller I have and I'm not going to spring for one with ski attachments since this is the last winter I'll have a stroller-aged kid.

In terms of food, frozen veggies and soups and stuff instead of salads. I'm going to miss my cheap veggies!
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I live in LA so it stays more or less the same B)

but seriously, I do feel crappy when it's cold (relative, I know) and when we switch our clocks back. It makes me want to hibernate and I am at work the ENTIRE time it is light out. I may shift my schedule even earlier (already a morning work out person) and go to bed a bit earlier which helps with my evening snacking issue.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm on the opposite side here is southern AZ. This summer was insanely hot and this past monsoon season has lasted longer than usual. (no complaint, I love the storms but it makes outside runs/workouts impossible)

I'm looking forward to a lovely warm/cool winter and fall. Bring on the 80 degree weather please! This 115 has got to go!

One day this week the high was only 95 and I wore jeans and boots :wink: I feel fall upon us. HAHA!!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have a much easier time losing/maintaining in the summer. The heat and humidity kill my appetite. The darker, cooler days of winter make me want to eat non stop. But overall it's much easier for me to get outside and exercise in the winter. It's easy to bundle up when it's cold. Not so easy to keep from having heat stroke when it's hot.

I only want to lose another 5 or 10 pounds. My goal for winter is just to maintain whatever weight I'm at in another month or so, and then lose the rest in the spring.
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,172 Member
    Options
    I usually fall off the wagon during the cold months too. I find all the special occasions challenging and I live in Canada so warm comfort foods are so tempting.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I love exercise in the winter the most., snowshoeing is my fav! and so so good for you/
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yeah I really can't take that seriously at all.

Texas winters aren't nearly as mild as they used to be. Last winter was really cold with plenty of freezing temperature days.
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Also a New Englander here. I envisioned all of my fat cells cheering victory last weekend when we closed the swimming pool. Those little *kitten* don't know what's coming... >:)

My plan is to walk regularly and continue with kettlebell strength and HIIT training. My goal is to be in a condition at the end of the winter where I can feel more confident about joining a gym and furthering my training. I have a long way to go. I don't mind the cold now, but it seems some days like I practically have a built-in coat. As that goes away or where the snow may make walking a bit more treacherous, I have a stationary bike and I plan on using that pretty regularly throughout the season as well.

For eating strategy, I'm just going to keep things reasonable and take things one day at a time. Probably going to start with smoothies soon as well. Been sampling a lot of healthier foods lately that I never knew I would love as much as I do. Going to find ways to enjoy the holidays that don't involve eating myself into food comas. Some of my family likes to take a walk on Thanksgiving and Christmas awhile after eating while others watch football and such, so I might join in on that walking action this year for a change!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I love exercise in the winter the most., snowshoeing is my fav! and so so good for you/

I have always wanted to try showshoeing. Have to drive quite a ways to do it with any regularity though. It's on the bucket list though.