What's your action plan for the Winter months?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My plan is to bulk during over the winter because holidays and I don't like being out in cold weather.

What does "cold" mean to a Texan?

Yeah I really can't take that seriously at all.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Snow and darkness is an issue for me in the winter so I'll be relying on my treadmill more. I don't mind walking and jogging in the snow but it's impossible with the stroller I have and I'm not going to spring for one with ski attachments since this is the last winter I'll have a stroller-aged kid.

In terms of food, frozen veggies and soups and stuff instead of salads. I'm going to miss my cheap veggies!
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    I live in LA so it stays more or less the same B)

but seriously, I do feel crappy when it's cold (relative, I know) and when we switch our clocks back. It makes me want to hibernate and I am at work the ENTIRE time it is light out. I may shift my schedule even earlier (already a morning work out person) and go to bed a bit earlier which helps with my evening snacking issue.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    I'm on the opposite side here is southern AZ. This summer was insanely hot and this past monsoon season has lasted longer than usual. (no complaint, I love the storms but it makes outside runs/workouts impossible)

I'm looking forward to a lovely warm/cool winter and fall. Bring on the 80 degree weather please! This 115 has got to go!

One day this week the high was only 95 and I wore jeans and boots :wink: I feel fall upon us. HAHA!!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    I have a much easier time losing/maintaining in the summer. The heat and humidity kill my appetite. The darker, cooler days of winter make me want to eat non stop. But overall it's much easier for me to get outside and exercise in the winter. It's easy to bundle up when it's cold. Not so easy to keep from having heat stroke when it's hot.

I only want to lose another 5 or 10 pounds. My goal for winter is just to maintain whatever weight I'm at in another month or so, and then lose the rest in the spring.
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,172 Member
    I usually fall off the wagon during the cold months too. I find all the special occasions challenging and I live in Canada so warm comfort foods are so tempting.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    I love exercise in the winter the most., snowshoeing is my fav! and so so good for you/
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    My plan is to bulk during over the winter because holidays and I don't like being out in cold weather.

Texas winters aren't nearly as mild as they used to be. Last winter was really cold with plenty of freezing temperature days.
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Also a New Englander here. I envisioned all of my fat cells cheering victory last weekend when we closed the swimming pool. Those little *kitten* don't know what's coming... >:)

My plan is to walk regularly and continue with kettlebell strength and HIIT training. My goal is to be in a condition at the end of the winter where I can feel more confident about joining a gym and furthering my training. I have a long way to go. I don't mind the cold now, but it seems some days like I practically have a built-in coat. As that goes away or where the snow may make walking a bit more treacherous, I have a stationary bike and I plan on using that pretty regularly throughout the season as well.

For eating strategy, I'm just going to keep things reasonable and take things one day at a time. Probably going to start with smoothies soon as well. Been sampling a lot of healthier foods lately that I never knew I would love as much as I do. Going to find ways to enjoy the holidays that don't involve eating myself into food comas. Some of my family likes to take a walk on Thanksgiving and Christmas awhile after eating while others watch football and such, so I might join in on that walking action this year for a change!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I love exercise in the winter the most., snowshoeing is my fav! and so so good for you/

I have always wanted to try showshoeing. Have to drive quite a ways to do it with any regularity though. It's on the bucket list though.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    SuggaD wrote: »

Texas winters aren't nearly as mild as they used to be. Last winter was really cold with plenty of freezing temperature days.

It was probably cold compared to what you're used to. But according to this,
    "Texas and Oklahoma averaged between 2 to 4 degrees F (1.11 to 2.22 degrees C) below normal" in January 2014.

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

200387147-001-new-york-city-people-standing-at-bus-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=qC44tbli%2B9ZoSy0xlxlWCVktaN53%2FCtnPrkgtOCOt%2B4nXu6ocKaP4K2thGNCHdyUdG9oK6GSb0psMqnrk6tZgg%3D%3D
    Those people are COLD

snow-storm-toronto.jpg?w=652&h=489

winter-storm-blizzard-verticle-car.jpg

http://globalnews.ca/news/1039255/homeless-man-found-frozen/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Eh, I felt silly bitching about the heat during my recent triathlon (through corn and soy fields, no shade!) when we've generally had a mild summer and I knew people from Texas and other southern states were reading it, but what you are used to matters too. I don't see the point.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    To eat all the pumpkin yummies!
    0evu03vulcvi.jpeg
    ymulatuvzpne.jpeg

Is pumpkin a kale? Is it high in fat? Does it have sugar?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited September 2015

82 degrees. Seriously, we're all trading chili recipes now that the highs have dropped out of the upper 90s.

I plan to spend lots of time outdoors this winter because it's the only time of year it's safe to be out there!

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member

For ME, under 50 degrees is when I start to say it's chilly. If it gets to freezing or below, then it's cold.

But, I have lived in both Maine, and Indiana, so I know what cold is. I happen to like being able to wear shorts through most of winter though, so I quite like it here. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member

Pfft.

g9oo9pp7zr14.jpg

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,509 Member

Pfft.

g9oo9pp7zr14.jpg

Last winter I saw a woman wearing a fur-lined parka while walking her dog. It was 60 degrees outside.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member

Pfft.

g9oo9pp7zr14.jpg

Last winter I saw a woman wearing a fur-lined parka while walking her dog. It was 60 degrees outside.

Ya, when I lived in South Florida I saw this sort of thing. They break out the furry boots when the temp dips into the 60s.

• pegastarlight
    pegastarlight Posts: 26 Member
    I've flipped my hardest months to Spring and Summer. It used to be Fall and Winter that'd do me in because Fall has all of the seasonal beers I love and ends with Thanksgiving feasting, and then by Winter I just want to lock myself in and eat junk foods. Having Christmas and all the snacks and New Years back to back are really dangerous, too. Now I've put heavy focus on working out in the Fall, then Winter rolls around and the cold kills my routine (I do a lot of outdoor training), but I recognize my need to keep a more restrictive diet while not training. Then Spring comes around, and I'm sick of a more restrictive diet and lack motivation to start my workouts again. Then Summer comes along and there's so much traveling, vacationing, etc. And then the cycle repeats back in Fall. I'm looking into joining a gym around the time we switch back to Standard Time and lose that extra sunlight in evenings to keep my workouts up this time.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I started using MFP last October. I felt that fall and winter were much easier for me. I don't get depressed in winter. Being cold was great motivation to exercise and warm up. Going outside and playing in the snow is fun. Shoveling snow is bonus exercise. Holiday food is predictable and planned for. I eat the same food year round really so there isn't new comfort food on the horizon. I've always used my grill in winter.
    I hate summer. I hate being hot. Every time I tried to enjoy the outdoors this year I had migraines, allergy issues, sunburn, bug bites or poison ivy rashes. I feel like I had to medicate or coat myself in chemicals just to walk out the door. I still exercised inside because it was too hot outside. I plugged away at sticking to logging and my calorie goal and making myself move.
  • Edjeep
    Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
    I started the C25K in June, into the 10K now, running more days than not. I know winter is coming and I am going to need to re adjust. My plan has been to run the weight off, then as fall approached work towards more strength training in the home garage gym and fewer runs. maybe just a couple of times a week. The transition is coming so I guess I will stick to my plan. I think the change in routine is going to be the challenge for me, and I am actively thinking for how I am going to lock the routine change in.
  • hayleycharper
    hayleycharper Posts: 51 Member
    Hi, summer is a lot easier although I really look forward to winter.. I love taking the dog for a walk when its freezing cold and my fave time to go out running is when it's raining as it's so much more refreshing... Ok I understand I may be in the minority but there is method to the madness lol honest! :smiley:
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    I have been thinking about this as well. Thankfully I have bought some equipment for inside, now just need a treadmill. Usually winter trips me up because I have a hard time with the cold, but this year I am not letting it get me down!! lol I plan to keep improving my routine and eating habits.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    No season is actually harder for me because I eat pretty much the same all the time, so plan for the winter is to carry on as usual. I pre-plan my food, log it in, based on my calories without exercise. If I exercise, I add more food to properly fuel my body. I've made this a habit so that I can still manage my weight during time when I might want to skip a few days of exercise here and there. :)
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Winter is about a short month or so away, so I have Jillian Michaels Body Revolution set which I've started and am going to use until the 90 days is over (December), after that I will be incorporating strength yoga and A-Zoe belly dancing set into my workouts. If we don't hit a polar vortex again this year then I plan to work out 2-4x/week at the gym with actual weights. I also have plans to be shoveling 3 houses until the snow leaves. :sweat_smile: I live in MI southeast-ish.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    beer-league-hockey-590x350.jpg[img][/img]beer-league-goalie.jpg

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Well, I live in San José, CA so I'm not sure most of you would even call what we have winter. I plan on doing the same things I do during the summer + a sweater. (I do enjoy me some snowboarding in Tahoe, though, if it ever snows there again.)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    My action plan is: Expect a nice solid 5 or 6 lb gain, enjoy every second of the turkey and the puddings and then cut back after. I'm only human and I can't wait to gain my Xmas week weight hehe! ;)
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Winter is my downfall. I'm in New England and just lose all energy in the winter. Spring and summer are easy for me - when not at work, I am outside and moving all the time. I'm getting older now so I have come up with a new plan. I am starting NROLS this fall so that it is something new and will keep me going through the holidays. Then I plan on taking time off from work to go away for at least one long weekend in January, February and March so that I can be outside and get some sun. I also plan to do some snowshoeing and winter hikes in the White Mountains. I've been looking into some of the AMC overnight hikes and they look pretty cool.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    shrcpr wrote: »
    Well, I live in San José, CA so I'm not sure most of you would even call what we have winter. I plan on doing the same things I do during the summer + a sweater. (I do enjoy me some snowboarding in Tahoe, though, if it ever snows there again.)

No.....probably not. What you call winter I might call June.