No white sugar, flour, or rice...

Options
This is what my doctor told me to do, is any one else doing this? I want to do this te healthiest way possible, so that it stays off for good! Last week I just restricted calories but I know I need to do more then that to lose 70lbs! Any thoughtsnor advice?

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I gave up white flour and white sugar as my plan to lose weight last year and found it made me feel remarkable; not to mention I lost the weight. Pretty much it means no processed foods. I eat the fresh veggies, fruits, lean meats and dairy.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    It works for me! I rarely eat any of that...well, maybe a little flour in my flat wraps but it's whole wheat.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Is your doctor advising this course for medical purposes? Do you want to cut these foods out of your diet? I am asking because this makes a difference. I love bread, any kind of bread. I love rice. I love sweets. I have cut out most of it from my diet at this time because they eat away a lot of my calories for the day. Having said that yes occasionally I will have a slice of bread, a candy bar, rice for dinner but always stay under my calorie count and use exercise to balance off any cheats for me.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My high school health teacher (yes, quite some time ago since high school, but he was good!) always said, if you want to improve health/weight, stop with the sugar. I read this book called "Get the Sugar Out" (sorry, i cant remember who wrote it :blushing: ) but it has some great ideas and advice! It also had tons and tons of neat recipes. I would assume you can get it online or at barnes and nobles :D
  • jezirus
    jezirus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have given up added sugars (except I use agave syrup on my oatmeal, though I expect I will stop that eventually.) and white flour/pasta/rice, as well as cheese and highly processed foods. Only been a week, but I feel fantastic! I've lost 9.5 pounds already, which is a great motivation, and I'm eating such healthy foods, and they are actually TASTING good. Except for a small headache the first three evenings (I'm guessing from caffeine and sugar withdrawals) I have had no issues with it. And I used to have crazy stomach issues, and they have completely disappeared! I'm in love with this new way of eating for myself! Friend me if you want!
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    That's what I have done. I've cut out refined sugars, and white starches. Down 31lbs in 3 months.
  • Kedralea
    Kedralea Posts: 15
    Options
    Wow! Thank you al! Today is the first day cutting out all the refined stuff... I'm sure I'll be feeling some withdrawals!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is what my doctor told me to do, is any one else doing this? I want to do this te healthiest way possible, so that it stays off for good! Last week I just restricted calories but I know I need to do more then that to lose 70lbs! Any thoughtsnor advice?

Listen to your doctor! Even if you don't need to lose weight that is good advice. Nobody needs the simple carbs in those foods.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have started to do the same things myself. What an eye opener for me! I too am feeling great. White flours and sugar spike your blood sugar, cause you to crash and leave you feeling even hungrier, leading to overeating. I try to remember that to keep me on track and pick a wrap over a roll, etc. Clean eating!! Good luck!!
  • gagirl89
    gagirl89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My high school health teacher (yes, quite some time ago since high school, but he was good!) always said, if you want to improve health/weight, stop with the sugar. I read this book called "Get the Sugar Out" (sorry, i cant remember who wrote it :blushing: ) but it has some great ideas and advice! It also had tons and tons of neat recipes. I would assume you can get it online or at barnes and nobles :D
    That book is written by Ann Louise Gittleman, I haven't read it yet but I was looking at no sugar books and hers came up, if you type that book into amazon.com the list of similar books comes up. those are some you might want to look at too.
  • nanjane50
    nanjane50 Posts: 11
    Options
    I have been using a modified type of eating that I call clean eating. Artificial sweeteners are also something to cut out...use honey or agave to substitute if you can. Nonfat greek yogurt with honey is the bomb for protein and a little sweetness.
  • Mzncdiva
    Mzncdiva Posts: 16
    Options
    I only use sugar in my oatmeal...splenda is sooo expensive, but I guess I need to break down and purchase it. Is splenda ok??? I heard that that can be just as bad as regular sugar..thoughts??
  • mpfand
    mpfand Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I only use sugar in my oatmeal...splenda is sooo expensive, but I guess I need to break down and purchase it. Is splenda ok??? I heard that that can be just as bad as regular sugar..thoughts??
    I recently made the switch from Splenda to Truvia. It's granulated like real sugar and I think it tastes much better, too. I only use it in my coffee, but I imagine it'd be good in other things, too. I split one packet between two cups of coffee every morning.
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am living proof that you can restrict itmes and still survive. About 6 months ago I gave up sugar, wheat and flour and after about week two I felt like a million bucks. This last month I have slipped and I am getting back the old feelings that made me so sad and unhealthy. Friday , I decided that I could do this and do eating the right things and stopping the wrong things and I am alreay feeling so much better. I do have sugar, from almonds and fruit but it is the white stuff that I have no use for! Best wishes!
  • Mzncdiva
    Mzncdiva Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks...I'll be sure to pick that up on my next trip to grocery store.
  • Kedralea
    Options
    There's also something called stevia and it's a natural sweetener that you can buy at health food stores, sugars like truvia use stevia, but if you can just buy straight stevia it's even better :)
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For oatmeal, if you are using sugar, try brown sugar instead. It is a bit more healthy (for as healthy as sugar can get *dohh* lol). Its a nice alternative :)
  • Kedralea
    Options
    I used a little (.5 tbls) on my oatmeal today and it was really yummy!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yes because white sugars,flours and rice and processed and bleached to get that white coloring. That means half the nutrients and fiber in them has been stripped out.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Splenda is horrible, it's just a spoonful of chemicals. truvia is not pure stevia, neither is purvia. As mentioned look for pure stevia. Also I found the less processed food I ate, the less I needed sugar.