Elliptical Trainer - General Question

Options
I use this thing sometimes when I can't get outside to exercise. My question is, does it matter if I do say 3 x 10 minutes throughout the day or one 30 minute session? Is there any negatives or positives to either or does it work out the same?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The only caveat I can think of is this: It usually takes some time to warm your body up and get your cardiovascular system fully engaged. As far as calorie burning I don't think it makes a lot of difference, but you may not get the same level of fitness with shorter bursts. From what I've read it takes at least a couple of minutes for your body's aerobic systems to supply most of the energy needed for exercise, and in my personal experience I find that I'm not fully engaged until about 10 minutes in.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    The only caveat I can think of is this: It usually takes some time to warm your body up and get your cardiovascular system fully engaged. As far as calorie burning I don't think it makes a lot of difference, but you may not get the same level of fitness with shorter bursts. From what I've read it takes at least a couple of minutes for your body's aerobic systems to supply most of the energy needed for exercise, and in my personal experience I find that I'm not fully engaged until about 10 minutes in.

I agree with this and I'll add that if you are really going to push yourself for each 10 min. interval then it may more beneficial. When I used to do 60 min. cardio sessions I knew mentally that I a long ways to go so I'd end up going way too easy for the first 15 min. or so. What a waste of time! Then I shortened it to 30 min. and make it a goal to break a sweat within the first 5 - 7 min. so that I know I'm making good use of those 30 minutes.

Bottom line: experiment and see what works for you and that you are able to stick with long-term.
  • heytherejune
    heytherejune Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just don't trust the calorie count on the machine, it's usually very overstated.
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I say 3 x of 10 minutes is better than no minutes. Not sure of the reasoning behind it.. is it that you have a hard time going a full 30 minutes or are you just working it in when you have time (oh hey, i"ll hop on real quick while the oven preheats)? If it's that you have a hard time going a full 30, gradually increase it- 10 min one day, then try for 12 and 15 etc etc - if it's time is a factor then at least you are working it in when you can!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you are dedicated to actually do three sessions you may want to make them 10-minute pushing-it-hard sessions. That also means getting sweaty 3 times. Is that convenient? --change of clothes, rub downs and showers?
  • rosannenicole1
    rosannenicole1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 20-25 minutes a day n I set it to the higher lvl and break a sweat in the 1st 3 mins. I try and to this 3-4 times a week it my scale says I have lost 2 lbs in a week ..hope this helps :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends;. Cardio burns are determined by duration , intensity and how much you weigh.

If you do 30 mins straight and travel 3 miles, then that will burn the same calories as 3x 10 mins traveling 1 mile each. So the same.

The difference is with the 30 mins you will need more endurance and that means a better cardio vasc system as you are puttin a greater strain on your body to keep going fir the longer period. This will increase your fitness level.

The advantage of 3x 10 mins is you will recover faster because its less stress on your body.

Things become more complicated if you decide to workout harder doing the 3x10 or at your max. You can travel further during the 3x10 because you have the advantage of rest. If you are beginning then do what you can manage, recover from and fits your schedule. A mix is good so you get the advantage of both.

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Mainly a time issue but also a fitness issue. At least initially. I can walk for an hour but I can't use the machine for longer than about 15 minutes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what you are now asking?

My approach, even now is:
    1. To move more generally.
    2. For fitness reasons then ensure im pushing myself at various stages during the week.
    3. If I run out of time then not to panic, but if its an issue then I prioritise and make time rather than excuses.

With fitness you are wherever you are, dont compare yourself to others and be consistent. You will get gains quickly.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Mainly a time issue but also a fitness issue. At least initially. I can walk for an hour but I can't use the machine for longer than about 15 minutes.

Stick with the 10 mins, we all started somewhere, as time goes on add a little more time to, it pretty soon 30 mins continuously will be like a walk in the park. When I started, doing about 6.3 mph for 5 mins was hard, now I'm doing 60 mins between 7 and 9 mph 5 days a week keeping my HR above 80% for and average of 55 mins.