No Soda Challenge

Options
I just started a Group. Please join for encouragement and support. I am trying to be healthier and my new goal is to stop drinking soda for the next three days to see how i feel and what benefits i gain. I know three days is nothing but i am starting off slow. I drink at least three diet soda a day and want to stop.

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking sodas a few months back you can't tell a difference. But you will save money drinking water.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I drink water, but it's a more general thing.

Taste and caffeine withdrawal were my big issues with quitting. The caffeine was harder. Fresh air is helpful if you go cold turkey. Swimming was even more helpful for me. Don't ask me why. But I was on and off that stuff so much that I noticed the pattern. Quitting it is hard. If I have a can or glass, I go right back to it. I avoid it like the plague now.

Good luck!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I recommend some painkillers. I had the worst headache when I stopped drinking soda from the lack of caffeine. Good luck in your challenge!
  • gak71
    gak71 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of no coke after having three (or more) a day for a long time. The caffein withdrawal has given me a headache and I'm sure the lack of sugar must be affecting me too.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I recommend some painkillers. I had the worst headache when I stopped drinking soda from the lack of caffeine. Good luck in your challenge!

Your solution to the problem is pain killers? Wow. Okay.

If the problem is a terrible headache, painkillers seem to be a good solution.
  • byankaruiz465
    byankaruiz465 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Same problem. Love Coke & Canadian Dry
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I'll second that. Advil is best. It doesn't always work, but it's the best OTC shot you have.
  • carleeyuill
    carleeyuill Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tomorrow. For about the 19th time. I'm going to beat this addiction this time!!!!
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It's not an addiction, it's a habit.
    Habits take about 90 days to break them.
    You need to re-teach your brain/body that it "can survive" without a certain food/drink/activity/non-activity etc.
    The brain's regulator (the part of the brain whose only job is to keep you alive) fights you so you have to fight back.

I used to drink up to 2 liters of diet coke a day when I lived in the US. I never drank water; I despised it.
    When I moved to Germany and got acquainted with their wonderful carbonated mineral *cheap!* water, I finally realized I was "addicted" to carbonation and not the "flavor" of the cola. Now I drink 3-4 liters of awesome water per day. I get my daily Ca and Mg requirements from water alone.

In the last 4 years, I've had a coke maybe 10 times and every time I wish I had chosen water instead.

Stay strong, you can do it!
  • carleeyuill
    carleeyuill Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree completely- I'm sure its the carbonation that I love, not so much the taste!!!! I've got it this time!!!
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I agree completely- I'm sure its the carbonation that I love, not so much the taste!!!! I've got it this time!!!

Get a sodastream, make your own carbonated water.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have quit a handful of times. My record is four months. For me this is harder than quitting smoking. Ugh, let me finish out the weekend. Monday will be my quit day.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    It's not an addiction, it's a habit.
    Habits take about 90 days to break them.
    You need to re-teach your brain/body that it "can survive" without a certain food/drink/activity/non-activity etc.
    The brain's regulator (the part of the brain whose only job is to keep you alive) fights you so you have to fight back.

I used to drink up to 2 liters of diet coke a day when I lived in the US. I never drank water; I despised it.
    When I moved to Germany and got acquainted with their wonderful carbonated mineral *cheap!* water, I finally realized I was "addicted" to carbonation and not the "flavor" of the cola. Now I drink 3-4 liters of awesome water per day. I get my daily Ca and Mg requirements from water alone.

In the last 4 years, I've had a coke maybe 10 times and every time I wish I had chosen water instead.

Stay strong, you can do it!

The caffeine present in soda is addictive, though, much like the nicotine in cigarettes, which can make it harder for people. I do agree that once you get past those initial few days where you system is impacted by the lack of those substances, it all comes down to the behavioral aspect. I think that part is much harder, because we associate certain foods with certain situations. I never had the attraction to the carbonation though, I tried other fizzy drinks afterwards on the recommendation of a friend and thought they were awful. Pass the plain old water.
  • tssomerville6113
    tssomerville6113 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I went all day without soda and then finally broke down and had one with my dinner .... Overall I just it to keep trying small steps .
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i weaned myself off them. I still have (diet ones) but i limit it to one a day.
  • mariazaragoza690
    mariazaragoza690 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love coke cola :( haven't drank in a week, we got this!!!! ;-)