Lifting "success" (sort of)

Options
js8181
js8181 Posts: 178 Member
I've shifted from burning fat to getting more muscle. I bought some hand barbells and can tell at least that I can lift more than I could when I bought them a couple months ago. This is the first time since college that I have actually tried lifting weights. Before now, I just ran and biked a lot, but never thought about my actual muscles. I made the decision partially because of vanity, but partially because I'd like to have a base of muscle when I get older and start to deteriorate.

Here's the side by side comparison.

Before (June '15) 163lbs
Photo%20on%206-22-15%20at%2011.23%20AM_zpsospcgzee.jpg

Now 166
Photo%20on%209-18-15%20at%206.29%20PM_zpskttxzwch.jpg

I realize I could still burn quite a bit of fat to get to this muscle, but from what I understand I can't do both --gain muscle and lose fat--at the same time. I just started going back to losing fat, while still lifting to maintain muscle.

Replies

• pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nice job :)
  • js8181
    Options
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    "I'd like to have a base of muscle when I get older and start to deteriorate." I love this reason!! I definitely want to slow down deterioration by taking preventative measures. Never a better time to start than now. Keep at it!!
  • js8181
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Any difference? I weight 172 in these pictures, eating about 2300 per day. I definitely feel bigger, but maybe just in my gut haha.

e4d18nzfhfol.jpg
    bl0cqcag7wse.jpg
    31gjxcjul9bt.jpg
  • js8181
    Options
  • boxfish100
    boxfish100 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great progress - there is a definite difference
  • demitri_316
    demitri_316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    How do you rotate / cycle cardio and strength training, Can this be done am/pm.
  • js8181
    Options
    I keep my cardio/strength about the same. Maybe walk more than run/bike, but mostly I just eat more calories from protein (well, aside from my trip to New Orleans, where I also increased my calories through beignets, but we don't talk about that).
    How do you rotate / cycle cardio and strength training, Can this be done am/pm.

• Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey you're getting some great gains! I see a big difference!!
  • js8181
    Options
    Hey you're getting some great gains! I see a big difference!!

thanks!
  • js8181
    Options
    This is me at 170ish. If anybody is good at estimating body fat percentage that'd be appreciated! qccgzck72yal.jpeg
  • ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nice job, keep up the good work. I would estimate body fat overall body fat around 12 to 14 %, which is really good. Different parts of your body will be lower and some parts will be higher.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Nice job, keep up the good work. I would estimate body fat overall body fat around 12 to 14 %, which is really good. Different parts of your body will be lower and some parts will be higher.
    I'd estimate a little higher...16-18? Which is lucky for you since you can already start to see abs. Mine don't start to show like yours until I'm below 14, but I get much more definition in my chest/arms/back than you have.
  • js8181
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Looking good, brother!

Definitely put on muscle since the original post. :smile:
  • ESanchezSosa14
    ESanchezSosa14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would also say around 16-18%. Program that helped me gain strength and muscle but at same time lose fat is the kinobody program. Check his website or youtube channel. Would recommend to you. Takes time and good nutrition most importantly.
  • js8181
    Options
    Weight still the same. I'm going maintain my lifting routine but add more cardio (specifically longer runs/bikes) and cut dessert and alcohol. Going to the Mediterranean in a month as a motivation! m24ayd2fczwy.jpeg
  • BhangraPrince
    BhangraPrince Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What kind of numbers you lifting and what lifts?
  • js8181
    Options
    15lb hand barbells, 2 sets of 10 each for shoulder fly/biceps alternating with various chest exercises (don't know the name). Basically, lie on a bench and stretch my arms out the side, then bring up them. Repeat, but like a bench press, then again, but with weights nearly touching. Then a thing where you lean one leg forward, and extend for a with your triceps back. Wow, I'm really bad at knowing the names of exercises!
  • js8181
    Options
    I'm up to 173 now. I want to decrease body fat now, but don't want to lose the muscle mass I've gained. Advice?

eu3jlrkalln4.jpg
    vya3op9dodtl.jpg
    rv622f58tn65.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!