Iron rich foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Without using supplements or fortified foods can someone please share an example day with enough iron from their food. Context is: given the theory, today I went on a mission to eat enough iron. Whole grain cereal, sunflower seeds, nuts, beef, chick peas, beans, egg, broccoli, soya and I have only reached 60% of RDA. I will buy some spinach and kale but I draw the line at mussels and liver. Love to know examples of a balance where people get sufficient iron. Thanks!

If you went by MFP stats....some values are missing. When people add to the database, they have a tendency to skip over some things.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Offal is your best friend.
    Tons of minerals, lots of good protein and cheap.

Just learn how to cook them well.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Frosted mini wheats.
    Cream of wheat instant cereal.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

If you went by MFP stats....some values are missing. When people add to the database, they have a tendency to skip over some things.

Thanks for your message!I will double check the iron quoted on each food. Certainly hit my protein levels today!! I hear you regarding the iron tablets. Not good.

AndrikosDE I have trouble with the concept of offal, but curious, how do you cook it well?

Cereals are sounding like at least part of the solution.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The veggies have a lot of iron, but since our bodies cannot use it, those veggies are less helpful than they appear. Spinach really is not a good source for iron. Red meat is an excellent source of iron, as are some breakfast cereals. Meats, poultry, fish and, to a lesser extent, grains and legumes are good sources of iron. Liver, especially, is great for iron. Clams have a ton. Check labels for the word "enriched" if you buy bread in the store.

Tofu has some. :)

Get your Vitmain C with your iron. :)

Cooking in cast iron is a really good way to increase your iron. Cast iron is also just wonderful cookware. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Without using supplements or fortified foods can someone please share an example day with enough iron from their food. Context is: given the theory, today I went on a mission to eat enough iron. Whole grain cereal, sunflower seeds, nuts, beef, chick peas, beans, egg, broccoli, soya and I have only reached 60% of RDA. I will buy some spinach and kale but I draw the line at mussels and liver. Love to know examples of a balance where people get sufficient iron. Thanks!
    Well, dinner last night had collard greens and black beans in there. How much iron content....not sure. How are you measuring your iron intake? 60% is based on what? I google searched iron rich foods and it seems relatively simple to get the RDA amount since there a lot of options from beans, meats whether poultry or beef, vegetables, etc.
  • andrikosDE
    Options

AndrikosDE I have trouble with the concept of offal, but curious, how do you cook it well?

Many people have trouble with the concept, however, once you get past the "negative connotations" with this lowly offering, you'll realize there are tons of culinary opportunities at your disposal.

Choose offal from young animals and don't overcook it.
    Hearts and gizzards are almost pure muscle, liver and kidneys have 60% protein calories (as much as sirloin steak) and far higher protein quality (better aminoacid balance).

Here's a nice liver and onions recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/58942/absolute-best-liver-and-onions/

I make livers with beaten eggs kind of like a liver omelette. It's really tasty and very filling.
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    I second the cast iron skillet recommendation. No serious kitchen should be without it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked that no one actually said "cheerios" yet...

Seriously though, you've gotten some great suggestions.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I'm shocked that no one actually said "cheerios" yet...

Seriously though, you've gotten some great suggestions.

I was gonna, but this seems like a legit inquiry and some really helpful suggestions...
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

Many people have trouble with the concept, however, once you get past the "negative connotations" with this lowly offering, you'll realize there are tons of culinary opportunities at your disposal.

Choose offal from young animals and don't overcook it.
    Hearts and gizzards are almost pure muscle, liver and kidneys have 60% protein calories (as much as sirloin steak) and far higher protein quality (better aminoacid balance).

Here's a nice liver and onions recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/58942/absolute-best-liver-and-onions/

I make livers with beaten eggs kind of like a liver omelette. It's really tasty and very filling.

Lambsfry (liver), bacon n onions with mashies YUM
    Stuffed n baked hearts
    Ox tongues (taste like corned beef)
    Steak n kidney pie
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I made a stew with chicken hearts once and it was super good.

My mom makes barbacoa using beef tongue and it's the best part of the holidays. I love eating a little right out of the pressure cooker.
  • flotsette
    flotsette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chicken liver pate.... look up the Julia Child recipe and have on toast with pickles. Also I love the skewered grilled chicken hearts at the Japanese place...
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. Legit enquiry. When I logged my huge variety of iron rich foods in a day, I then looked at the sum total of iron for the day under "nutrition" expecting to have over achieved!. MFP has a target of "100%.". I assume that is linked to an RDA from somewhere on the planet. In S Health that target for me is 18mg. Without supplements I consumed only 60%, so approx 12/18mg. I suspect, as suggested, part of the story is limits on nutrient entries for foods I logged but appreciate ideas.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Cook in iron cookware. It helps infuse the food.