Excessive stiffness from low weight squats

Options
Hey all, so maybe some tips or advice here. I took a break from lifting for most of the summer due to camping, unpredictable schedules, etc. Before stopping, I was at 225lb on the SL 5x5 program for squats.

I'm trying to get back into a routine (not fully successfully yet) of lifting 3x a week so I started again Monday with SL 5x5. I deloaded significantly to 115lb squat 5x5. However, I am STILL stiff, and it's Friday! I was hobbling around like an old man on Tuesday and Wednesday, slightly better yesterday, and slightly better again today. However I can still feel the stiffness in my quads even today, 4 days later.

Any thoughts? I can understand maybe being crazy stiff if I jumped back in at a high/difficult weight, but 115lb is not a difficult weight for me. Do I need to deload further, or does anyone have other suggestions on how to prevent this excessive stiffness or help it go away faster?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You've been off for a few months. Soreness is common when you start back, even if the weight is lower. I hurt my back over the summer and took 3 weeks off. I deloaded all the way back to 45 pounds and had serious DOMS after the first night. I would just stay on schedule and keep going if I were you.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Try squatting again? Honestly, that usually works best for me when I'm stiff/sore after squatting.
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Try squatting again? Honestly, that usually works best for me when I'm stiff/sore after squatting.

This honestly had not occurred to me... I will try it. :)

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the world of DOMS. Just stay at 115 (which sounds plenty light for you), and keep lifting - active recovery generally helps DOMS feel better. Should be able to start ramping up after a week or so.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Yep, squatting again will help and you'll probably go up in weight much quicker than you did the first time.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yep, keep lifting and buy a foam roller
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Stretching helps the stiffness feel better, too.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Foam roll and go back and lift tomorrow
  • rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I agree. This always helps me as well.