When did 30 mean blowing up my body instead of balloons!?!

Options
Hey there folks!

I am sitting at my booth in the restaurant where I host Friday night karaoke in downtown Toronto, wondering when the exact moment occurred that no matter what new outfit I purchased would only fit me properly for the outside of two weeks.

My mother always harped on me about my eating habits, saying with gusto, "Wait until you hit 30, then you won't be so cavalier about stuffing your face like this!" I used to brag about eating more ribs at Montana's unlimited nights than my two much larger brothers, and smiling tauntingly at people who made comments like; "where do you put it all?" and, "how is it possible you're this thin eating like this?" I actually found it amusing, their shaking heads and bewildered glances. Now, I'm literally crying in my corn flakes that I actively measured out into metric cups for breakfast, wondering,

Am I ever going to enjoy food again?

Here's the problem:

I'm a fantastic cook. I dream of rich, decadent French foods, and lust over Italian pastas and do not get me started on the affair that I have with cheese. People love my cooking. My boyfriend will never admit it for fear of being struck down in the prime of life by a god he doesn't even praise at church, but I know I cook better than his mother (born and raised in Italy). I make my food with love and a genuine creative flare, without a recipe, and without any thought to calorie counting or how much butter I just threw into the sauce pan. I love to cook, and I love to provide food for the people I love.

It's day one for me on a radical weight loss diet, and my pantry is stocked with rice cakes, canned tuna, and my fridge looks like it's on a leaner diet than I am.

I look in the mirror and my hips have spread out - I know these are my child bearing years and all, but did they have to encourage my thighs and my *kitten* to explode so the jumpsuit I bought last month won't go past my knees? And another thing - who in gods name thought that it would be a bright idea to give women the curse of the arm flab? I could open up my own personal fanning service without a hand fan!

At the least, I am determined to get back into shape so that when I play hockey, walk my dog, and have kids someday I may just be able to keep up with the little boogers. As for my final request... I hope those boogers are boys; because hitting 30 as a woman just plain sucks.

Anyone else having similar feelings, come say hello and let's encourage each other to a healthier, happier existence: I am NOT going to jump off this bandwagon til I'm back at the weight I was when I was 20.

Nice to meet you all!

Elisha.

P.S. Cheese- I still love you, I will never forget you.

Replies

• rosannenicole1
    rosannenicole1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Rosanne and im I the same position once I hit 32 I been packing on the pounds :/ from ohio n been using this appnfor a few days it really is making me think before I stick something in my face lol
  • elisharenee149
    elisharenee149 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey rosanne! You know, my face was a lot happier when it was leaking Alfredo sauce lol....good to know you!
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I started blowing up about 30 and it's been a struggle ever since.
  • sweetmandygreeneyez
    Options
    For me it was 28..same deal..could eat whatever the flip I wanted and then all of a sudden I was almost 20 pounds heavier. I dropped all the weight and then some but it took diligence. Now, I've put in just a few pounds more then I want on me so..back to calorie counting! FYI..calorie counting works BUT listen to your body. When I began apps such as these I was recommended to cut down to 1300 calories a day. I felt tired, sick and sluggish. I need more like 1700 so just listen to the que's (not the Italian food though!) Good luck gal! You got this..slow and steady wins the race!
  • rustyblonde99
    rustyblonde99 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I turned 31 in July, just a few days after my second daughter was born. With daughter #1 (who is now 3 years old), the baby weight (all 45 lbs of it!) seemed to kind of fall off on its own, with the exception of the last 10 lbs. This time around I still have 25 lbs sticking on me. On top of that, I was at my highest non-pregnant weight ever when I found out we were expecting another baby, so that doesn't help matters. Now I feel HUGE. I didn't eat any differently during this last pregnancy than I did with my older daughter and same goes for after giving birth -- I'm not doing anything differently than I did after I had my older daughter was born, yet the weight is going no where so my guess is that my metabolism has changed now that I'm in my 30s. Calorie counting, here we go! Feel free to add me!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You can and will reach your goal :)
    And you can still enjoy your cheese (in moderation, of course). Cut yourself some slack, you're wonderful as you are and people love you regardless of what the scales say. Stay positive, happy and strong - you'll get there!
  • esurginurse
    esurginurse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ha! I totally feel your frustrations! I am 36 years old...When I was 21 found out I was pregnant and after I had my son, I found out I had hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid producing). There goes my metabolism! And then found out I had polycystic ovarian syndrome which is a hormone imbalance so makes it even twice as hard to lose weight...not a fan whatsoever....being Italian myself and loving food...love to cook ..this went to the way side...all I obsess about now is low carb, high protein and make sure I exercise at least 4 times a week ...I hate the pressure but know if I don't follow through I'll turn into a hippo!!!
  • gnbmum
    gnbmum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So glad (not glad?) that I am not the only one in this uncharted territory... Hate to hear others are fighting this fight but maybe it will be easier with support. I hit 30 a couple of weeks ago and have been fighting a losing battle for at least 6 months. I, too, was the small framed one that out ate everyone... it was the joke for years that I ate far more than my dad and brother. It's with a heavy heart that I must report that somebody slipped that talent out the backdoor when I wasn't looking. Due to this abduction of my food freedom, I literally have no idea where to begin.