Freaking OUT. I can't do this anymore. :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• Pikisina
    Pikisina Posts: 2
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I am knew here but for the last week i have been logging everything i eat and i hardly go over 1200Cal a day, i exercise 6 days a week, doing 10-15km 2-3 times a week (burning 800ckal) and doing track session 2 times a week, i burn a lot of calories however my weight would not budge! one morning it would be 123lbs and another day 127lbs and I’ve cut all the chocolate, ice-creams...i only eat “healthy” stuff.. It seems sometimes that what’s the point to diet if it doesn’t work!!!
  • moPOETRYtion
    Options
    i recommend you hide your scale. weight is a number.... and only one measurement of success. how do you feel? do you feel confident in your fitness? do you put good foods into your body? do your clothes fit? are you happy with your reflection in the mirror?

i feel like as a society we get way to focused on numbers. the scale has too much power.... you have done outstanding and maybe it's time to give up the fight with numbers. weight fluctuates naturally... after a year of maintenance, i have seen my weight go from 138 to 156 and i HATED it and tortured myself.... but eventually i tried to let the scale's reading go and focus on being in the moment of my workouts, and feeling alive... being proud of what i had done and the quality foods i was putting into my body. i truly believe the added stress is something else that makes it difficult to "lose"....

just my two cents. :-)

I totally agree with this. In the past when trying to lose weight, when I would stress and obsess with what the scale said and weighed myself constantly, I seemed to never lose. Recently I did Couch to 5k just to see if I could do it (weight loss wasn't really a factor; it was more just a personal goal to be able to go from being a couch potato to running a 5k race). I don't think I weighed myself once during the program. After it was over and I ran my 5k race, I hopped on the scale just to see if I'd lost any weight. I was 7 pounds down!

I am planning to do C25k again, but I am going into it the way I did the first time--for the physical challenge. I am using MFP to help me eat healthily. If I lose weight, great. If not, ok. I agree with the poster above that taking a relaxed approach and looking at it as a way to become more healthy and not what the number on the scale says.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Although I do understand what you are saying, keeping tabs on the scale helps keep me honest. In the past I would always gain my weight back if I started shunning the scale. Then I wasn't really being accountable. It isn't just a number...although a 10 pound gain in a couple of months is significant...I'm not crying over 2 pounds...my clothes aren't fitting as well either, so it's not just muscle gain etc. I workout a TON, and with the amount I eat, I should be a svelt 130 pounds one would think...so I thought maybe eating some more and creating less of a deficit would help me move past the 150 mark...and it has done the opposite in a BIG WAY.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    (Don't everyone flame me for this...)

Reduce your carbohydrate intake and eat more protein and fat. Don't slash calories too low considering your activity level.

Try for around 100g / daily of carbohydrate at first. Give it a shot, see how it works, I'm willing to bet it will help the scale move downward.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    You should check over your diary.
    You might not want to believe this. But you have a very distinct pattern that happens over and over again for at least the last month.
    Every day that you have logged food in the last month.
    You are under on your net calories. You are over on your sugar.

Example. There were days where you took in 1600 calories, and worked out 1300 calories. (300 net calories)

You might not believe in eating exercise calories, but obviously that is not working for you.
    You need to eat more.
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    What exactly was your TSH? Anything over 3 should be looked into further by looking at free t3 and free T4. Also, check for antibodies.
  • tafaye
    tafaye Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was having a smiler issue. I would hit a certain weight and stay there, thats where I would give up. So This time I went and asked the dr. and following his advice worked. So, go talk to your doctor and see what they say, when you get perplexed like this it is good to go to the professional.

Good luck!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    You might not want to believe this. But you have a very distinct pattern that happens over and over again for at least the last month.

Example. There were days where you took in 1600 calories, and worked out 1300 calories. (300 net calories)

You might not believe in eating exercise calories, but obviously that is not working for you.
    You need to eat more.

I have noticed that the sugar was high...my protein is high...but so is sugar. Where I'm confused is that the past couple of weeks I have started to try and up my net....and I've gained SIX pounds. My pants are tight. So now that I'm trying to get closer to net...which is super hard when my job has me working out 2 times a lot of days...it's making me go in the wrong direction. I'm going to try and work on sugars..although it seems my sugar limit is pretty low...I max it out almost immediately. I've been to the dr, and everything seemed fine. Again...this didn't happen out of the blue...it happened when I started trying to reach a 1200 net. :-(
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It may be the processed foods. Yes you are under your calories, but way over on sodium and sugars. Processed foods don't pass through our bodies as quickly, nor do they have as much nutritional value as non processed foods. Try keeping your sodium and sugar numbers down and see what happens.
  • milaxx
    Options
    Here's where I see you can make a few cuts. This morning you had Chobani greek yogurt, vanilla flavored. Instead why not have the 0% plain greek yogurt, buy Vanilla extract (I recommend the real kind from the health food store), add a drop of that and some blueberries or dried cranberries to it. You cut your sugar nearly in half 7 grams versus the 13 in the vanilla. A tsp of vanilla extract has only .5grams of sugar.The plain has on That way you cut the sugar calories from the vanilla flavored yogurt and you get a bit of fiber from the fruit. . Not sure what you are adding the dominoes sugar to, but could you do without?

Also try buying the regular peanut butter instead of the PB with honey and getting more green veg in.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I did a dusting of sugar on my Weetabix. I never have them, but I thought it was better than my 11g sugar a serving of Crunchy Nut cereal. :-)
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    First of all, you look amazing. You have worked very hard and your body shows it.

You can do this. I know you are just having a bad day - month, but you can do this, you have proved to yourself at least once that you have the dedication and detrmination to lose weight.

I would say your body is adjusting to the extra calories, not quite sure that you are going to keep eating like that so it's holding on. I didn't look at your diary - but I know the rules, although I don't follow them all that close.
    Eat back your exercise calories, at least 75% of them, if that means pre and post workout well, then do it.
    No "white" foods - you can eat their colored relatives =) (brown rice for white, sweet potatoes for reg, etc)
    Limit fatty cheeses and dairy
    Eat LOTS of fruits and vegetables
    Drink LOTS of water

When I lost the most weight - I was working out like crazy and EATING like crazy....pre workout, post workout, breakfast, snack, lunch, pre workout again, post workout again, dinner.

You are amazing! You can do this, Don't give up!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I think you're undereating too, if you're burning 1000 calories in exercise per day (? every other day?) .

1600 calories isn't enough for an avid exerciser. The days you burn 1000, eat 2200. The days you don't eat 1800. Try it for 3 weeks (no cheating or changing) and see what happens. Weigh only once per week on the same day,
  • milaxx
    Options
    I did a dusting of sugar on my Weetabix. I never have them, but I thought it was better than my 11g sugar a serving of Crunchy Nut cereal. :-)
    It is an improvement, but if you carefully review your diary there are several places where you are getting the sodium and sugar. If you think about it you can swap some of that out for things that will give you more protein and healthy fats. Once you balance things out you may do better. I always try to review my diary and check for the things that spike my macronutrients. It's a good way to tell if I am eating a balanced diet.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options

You need to eat more.

I have noticed that the sugar was high...my protein is high...but so is sugar. Where I'm confused is that the past couple of weeks I have started to try and up my net....and I've gained SIX pounds. My pants are tight. So now that I'm trying to get closer to net...which is super hard when my job has me working out 2 times a lot of days...it's making me go in the wrong direction. I'm going to try and work on sugars..although it seems my sugar limit is pretty low...I max it out almost immediately. I've been to the dr, and everything seemed fine. Again...this didn't happen out of the blue...it happened when I started trying to reach a 1200 net. :-(

Sorry for the double quote folks but I thought it was all important....
    This sounds exactly like "starvation mode"....while you are undereating severely (due to burning almost as many calories as you eat) you body holds steady. Your metabolism has tanked out, but you can't see it due to how little you are netting. As soon as you started to eat a reasonable amount, your body reacted by stockpiling the pounds, because your metabolism had been made so artificially low. It takes weeks of eating normally (ie netting over 1200, probably more for you due to your activity level) for your body to realize "oh, she's feeding me again, I can relax and trust that food will be coming regularly". In that time in between, your body is still thinking this is a time of "feast" and is storing for the upcoming "famine" it thinks is going to come again.

You will have to endure this and continue to eat enough, and then once your metabolism recovers, you can slowly and safely lose the extra weight.
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I totally hate to ask this.. but you are so young!! Are you pregnant? or having any female problems? My friend had a cyst in her uterus that would not let her lose weight for anything until it got big enough to be removed and therefore calming her raging hormones.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    sounds stress related to me.

you worry way to much about what the scale says your REASONS for wanting to live a better lifestyle is much more important than what the sale say, in fact throw out your scale and learn to relax, listen to what your body says and it will happen naturally.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about nutrient timing? As in taking in the majority of your carb intake around this time? (or in the morning but peri workout is best) If you had previously lost a lot of weight then you may be insulin resistant (meaning that you're body would prefer to store additional carbs that spike insulin as fat rather than muscle when you work out). I believe I have the same issue.

I noticed from your diary that you are quite low on the fats most days, protein looks good though. I only looked at the last week but have you tried playing with the macros a bit and upping the healthy fats (to fuel your workouts) and decreasing the carbs?
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I know I posted this on the other thread but, I understand your frustration. Read the 2 books I suggested and they should help you tremendously. The new rules of lifting for women book has a good nutrition section and the Eat clean recharged is a whole book about nutrition. The nutrition part is very important and I can't emphasize this enough. About 80 to 90% of losing weight is nutrition and exercise is just a tiny portion of that. Try to stay away from processed foods, eat your veggies, have some healthy fats, and drink about 2 liters of water a day if possible.