Women problems

Options
Ladies, how do you deal with dieting during those times when you're extra hungry and feel bloated and don't want to work out because you feel like crap and you want to eat comfort food and chocolate?

Replies

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't work-out because I can't anyway now, but I wouldn't do it during my period (I am in too much pain).
    Feel bloated: it's uncomfortable but normal, nothing to do about it.
    I resist the hunger and stick to my MFP plan. I guess maybe trying to fit some chocolate into the calories budget would be a good idea. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless im in so much pain i cant FUNCTION ... i work out.

ive never missed a workout due to TOM...
  • sweetmandygreeneyez
    Options
    Getting to the gym is the hardest part, once your there your mind will switch to go time. I have monsterous cycles but for some reason if I work out it helps a great deal for cramps. I tell myself "Just a half hour." Sometimes I'm there longer, sometimes just a halfy but it's worth it after you busy through the lack of motivation. For chocolate cravings..cocoa dusted almonds..or there's the skinny girl treats. Sometimes I'll just get a York peppermint patty which is only 140 calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My appetite shoots up two days before my period and I eat at maintenance then and for the two heavy days. I don't exercise during the heavy days cuz I lose so much blood that walking up the stairs is hard enough. Before this was the case I didn't not exercise due to having my period - if my back hurt I would do gentle yoga or walk.

While I'm hungrier, I'm not having cravings, so I mostly eat normally, just 500 calories more. I made brownies this month cuz there was room in the calorie budget for them.

Here's how I got my cravings under control:

- Eating less foods like brownies and ice cream, and when I do have them, do so at the end of the day
    - Eating more protein, fiber, veggies, and fruit
    - Taking a magnesium supplement
    - Exercising
    - Drinking plenty of water
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I definitely think working out helps ease the pain and cramps and afterward I'm so glad i did it. I tend to feel less bloated too.
    As far as chocolate, I eat it and work it into my calories. I never deprieve myself but I also don't go overboard.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I usually have a couple of days at the beginning of my period where I'll eat a little bit more (200-300 cals.) Once in a while I feel utterly exhausted and then I just take a day of training and go to bed early. I'm not training for the Olympics and don't feel like one day off is going to kill me.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I usually allow myself 100-200 calories or so more on Day 1, as that is, by far, the peak of it for me, in both hunger and pain. Day 2, I'm back to my normal deficit.

It really helps me keep my sanity.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't diet, I've made a lifestyle change. When there are times where I'm hungrier, I eat more fats and proteins to keep myself sated longer.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I usually do everything as normal, normal workout, don't eat more, I always eat chocolate in my calorie goal anyways so that's not usually a problem either.
    This week however has been a killer I've never felt like this before, idk if it's because I weigh less, because I'm more aware of my body in general, or because of a recent change of birth control but I've been so bloated and uncomfortable, it's been really messing with my head. I did notice I've been taking in extra sodium this week so I'm sure that's part of it, I'll just cut down on sodium for a few days and hope for the best. The cool/weird part of weighing myself everyday is I've gotten to where I can predict how many days left on my cycle by where the fluctuations are.

tl;dr TMI lol
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    At that time of the month, I used to QUIT EVERY THING! I'd lay in bed and refuse to step foot in the gym because I hated the idea of it. These days, I try to make an effort to continue my lifestyle despite those nasty bloats and uncomfortable feelings - it can be hard, but I take a couple of painkillers, drink some water and battle on :D
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    Getting to the gym is the hardest part, once your there your mind will switch to go time. I have monsterous cycles but for some reason if I work out it helps a great deal for cramps. I tell myself "Just a half hour." Sometimes I'm there longer, sometimes just a halfy but it's worth it after you busy through the lack of motivation. For chocolate cravings..cocoa dusted almonds..or there's the skinny girl treats. Sometimes I'll just get a York peppermint patty which is only 140 calories.

Haha I like that word halfy I usually work out for 30 mins so I'm gonna start using that word
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    Artemiris wrote: »
    I don't work-out because I can't anyway now, but I wouldn't do it during my period (I am in too much pain).
    Feel bloated: it's uncomfortable but normal, nothing to do about it.
    I resist the hunger and stick to my MFP plan. I guess maybe trying to fit some chocolate into the calories budget would be a good idea. :)

Yeah I can fit in chocolate but I don't think I can fit in like 2 plates of Mac and cheese and mashed potatoes that's like all I want right now lol
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Nothing changes during TOM... I stick to my calories, but may have a little extra chocolate. CICO, no diet.
    Unless I am in excruciating pain (still in pain after taking pain meds), I'll take it easy while working out.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I eat more chocolate. I do. Just for two days, maybe, but I need more chocolate than usual, and it's not so terribly caloric. Half the time I'm so nauseous that I can't eat my normal amount of real calories anyway.

I can't workout, even after 3 types of Rx pain meds combined, seriously. Endometriosis. It's always like there's an alien clawing its way out of my lower abdomen for 2-3 days. Walking to the next room is difficult, so that's a big no on the gym, lol.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about womern problems.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be a thread about womern problems.

It is. Men don't understand this.
  • Verivus
    Verivus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The first day is always awful for me. I have to take Tylenol or ibuprofen. I'm fine the rest of the time.
  • asmlpkg
    asmlpkg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is nice on those days.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When hungrier, I eat more. When less hungry, I eat less.

Luckily, once I started paying attention to my hunger, I noticed that there are a couple days after the period begins where I don't want to eat. So, the overeating just before balanced with the under eating just after. Check mark in the Yay box. :)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I usually still feel like working out, I'm pretty lucky on the pain front. Plus it helps with mood. But oh the hunger, the HUNGER!! It's a bottomless pit, I could seriously tear food from people's hands Hulk-style. (But I don't because I'm classy.) I try to use bulky, low calorie foods for those few days.