Muscle weighs more than fat??!! No it doesn't!

Options
2»

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Density is what people get confused.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ok I didn't read all the comments but no offence this is dumb...

Anyone that says muscle weighs more the fat is NOT implying that 1 pound of muscle weighs more than 1 pound of fat. The unit of comparison is not weight it volume. They're are comparing 1 volume of muscle to 1 volume of fat.

Yes 1 pound of feathers weighs the same as 1 pound of lead. But does one bucket of feathers way the same as one bucket of lead?
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter how someone puts it. Bottom line is that if you have more muscle and less fat the leaner you are.

What's dumb is this debate. I know that if someone says "1lb of fat muscle weighs more than 1lb of fat" what they mean.
  • drygravytrain
    drygravytrain Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This thread hasnt been posted on in a while, but people still keep correcting others that say 'muscle weighs more than fat'.

The OP stated that volume is irrelevant, which is incorrect. Everyones 'muscle weighs more than fat' statements are made in the context of fitness. If you were all fat, and the size of a prius, and I was all muscle and normal human size, you would be fat. And you wouldnt be saying "a pound is a pound ".

A pound is defined as 0.45359237 kg. Kilograms are a unit of Mass. Mass = Density x Volume. Weight = Mass x Gravity.

Therefore Volume is a necessary part of the equation.

The point is that everyone should stop corrected the statement. when someone says "a pound of fat > a pound of muscle" that is incorrect, and deserves correction. When someone says, "muscle weighs more than fat" that statement is correct, and does not merit correction.