Help with squats

Options
hi guys and girls

I'm a gym newbie 7months in, still learning the ropes and have been trying to get good technique for squats. the only way I can do this is by spreading my Legs as wide as a sumo wrestler, to be able to squat without bending over to get closer to the ground. I think it has to do with the flexibility in my ancles and hips and wondered if there was anything I should be doing to improve on this as very keen to be able to perform the excesise correctly to avoid injury, have tried using a raised heel which helps slightly but still isn't great, if you guys could suggest anything please do let me know

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Post a form video.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nobody squats totally upright, you will have to bend at least somewhat as you go down. Depending on your leverages and your bar position it can even be an extreme bend. It's normal and expected.

But as mentioned above, post videos.
  • JoshAylward
    JoshAylward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Post a form video.
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Nobody squats totally upright, you will have to bend at least somewhat as you go down. Depending on your leverages and your bar position it can even be an extreme bend. It's normal and expected.

But as mentioned above, post videos.

Thanks guys next time I'm in the gym I'll video record it
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Definitely need a vid.
    I will point out that there are different squat forms, some to do with how comfortable it is, some from body mechanics and some from mobility.
    Some squat shoulder width, some with wide stance (like Westside training). If you look at most, not all, PL they squat wide.
    Then there's high bar and low bar squatting…….

So the above ^^^^ is why we need a vid.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    To learn to squat without leaning forward too much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7-HLtOglfM
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    dlm7507 wrote: »
    To learn to squat without leaning forward too much

That is only one type of squat though. Upper body position is different between goblet squats and low bar squats, for example. If I tried to stay as upright as a goblet squat while low bar squatting, I would fall backwards. It will depend on what kind of squat the OP is doing.

starting-strength-review-of-mark-rippetoes-barbell-bible_dsm.jpg
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    keep for reference
  • supadux
    supadux Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your squat form there's not much I can advise but I'll try.

If you're squatting out in flat shoes or bare feet with regular foot spacing, you can put a couple of 2.5kg plates under your heels to get a slightly lower squat. Proper squatting shoes as worn by oly lifters have a wedge shaped sole that's high at the back and low at the front but using plates under the heels is a quick and easy way if you're squatting and it doesn't cost you a penny!.

If your flexibility is an issue, it could be calves, glutes, erector spinae among other things that need stretching out. Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation stretching is an excellent way to get very fast and effective flexibility gains and might be worth looking into if you're terribly inflexible.

The crease of the hip being parallel to the top of the knee is the world standard for a proper depth legal squat, so do whatever you do with that goal in mind.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer to give you advice. Nothing will match someone seeing your form in person. A single session with a personal trainer should not be too expensive, and bad form on squats could be dangerous.

Osric
  • dlm7507
    Options
    Mirrim52, good illustration for why people should do goblet, front, Zercher, thruster and sandbag shoulder squats instead of back squats. As you say, there are many kinds of squat, all safer than back squats. Most untrained people cannot keep their spine out of flexation with the weight behind their neck. I mentioned the goblet squat as a teaching tool. Most people cannot do heavy goblet squats leaning forward (biceps weak link) and must squat upright same for front squats.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Mirrim52, good illustration for why people should do goblet, front, Zercher, thruster and sandbag shoulder squats instead of back squats. As you say, there are many kinds of squat, all safer than back squats. Most untrained people cannot keep their spine out of flexation with the weight behind their neck. I mentioned the goblet squat as a teaching tool. Most people cannot do heavy goblet squats leaning forward (biceps weak link) and must squat upright same for front squats.

I have done nothing but low bar back squats since I started lifting in Jan. and I am thrilled with the results. I can't imagine doing anything else. Never had a problem with spine flexion. All the illustration shows is that there are different back angles for different squats.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

All weight lifters were, at one point, untrained people, and yet many (myself included) have learned to do back squats properly (low bar is my personal preference as well) with no spinal flexation. I started with 30 pounds less than a year ago and worked my way up - I can now back squat 112 lbs with beautiful form. Naturally you're not going to start a newbie out with 300 pounds, but to tell an "untrained person" that they just shouldn't do back squats because they are weak is like telling them to not eat on an empty stomach. Starting somewhere with your training is the way to get stronger at something, not avoiding it.
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    hi guys and girls

I'm a gym newbie 7months in, still learning the ropes and have been trying to get good technique for squats. the only way I can do this is by spreading my Legs as wide as a sumo wrestler, to be able to squat without bending over to get closer to the ground. I think it has to do with the flexibility in my ancles and hips and wondered if there was anything I should be doing to improve on this as very keen to be able to perform the excesise correctly to avoid injury, have tried using a raised heel which helps slightly but still isn't great, if you guys could suggest anything please do let me know

Good on you for wanting and being willing to learn! My suggestion would be to look for a personal trainer who specializes in Olympic lifting (a local CrossFit gym would be a good place to look for someone) and ask for just one session to help you. Just a half hour with a personal trainer will do you more good than spending hours on YouTube and watching yourself in a mirror trying to figure it out, and will greatly reduce the risk of injuring yourself in the process, even with light weights. I just did this last night to help with my cleans and it was a huge help to me.

Wishing you all the best!
  • Chessie28804
    Chessie28804 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can always use a chair behind you and squat until your butt barely hits the chair. This really helped with me form. I was trying to go to low or straight back, etc and it would cause injury.
  • dlm7507
    Options
    I was responding to the original issue, someone struggling with the inability to squat with good form. A test; if you can't stand, facing a wall with your feet close to the wall and squat all the way down to a squatting rest position without smacking your face against the wall then stand back up, you will most likely be helped by practicing that and then the other squat progressions before back squatting. People are not all blessed with the same starting abilities. Loading dysfunction is a sure path to eventual injury.
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Front squats help with keeping your chest up compared to back squats
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    I was responding to the original issue, someone struggling with the inability to squat with good form. A test; if you can't stand, facing a wall with your feet close to the wall and squat all the way down to a squatting rest position without smacking your face against the wall then stand back up, you will most likely be helped by practicing that and then the other squat progressions before back squatting. People are not all blessed with the same starting abilities. Loading dysfunction is a sure path to eventual injury.

Okay, I'll bite. I just tried your little test. I don't know how close you mean for the feet to be from the wall, but I have to stand with my feet 4 inches away from the wall in order to do a front squat position without my knees hitting the wall. Back squat position? No way you can't hit your face on the wall if you're doing it correctly. Yet, I can do a low-bar back squat no problem with ideal form. I fail to see how your test is useful in the least.

The thing to look for with ANY squat position is not how far you are bent over, but the position of the bar in relation to the mid foot, and your back should be straight. That will require bending forward at the hip in a back squat, as the graphic above demonstrated (Starting Strength is a great resource, by the way, OP) but the degree of that angle is dependent on all kinds of individual factors - the width of your stance, the length of your femur, high bar vs. low bar, etc..

I started with back squats and have had not even the slightest issue with injury. Why? Not because I'm blessed with any sort of special starting ability, but because I worked with a good training program and learned how to do it correctly rather than just getting under a bar and winging it. Again, the best advice for the OP is not to avoid back squats, but to get some training in proper form so he won't injure himself. A trainer would be able to address any potential issues with flexibility and save him a lot of confusion and frustration that comes from getting irrelevant advice based on assumptions about "starting abilities."
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

That illustration does not indicate whatsoever that front squat forms are safer than back squats. That illustration is showing how you line up the bar path and the proper position. Its also a damn good illustration to show people that the "knees shouldn't go over the toes on squats" myth is a bunch of hogwash.

For those not knowing, in the illustration the first drawing is a front squat, second is a high bar squat and the third is a low bar squat.
  • JoshAylward
    JoshAylward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cheers for all the responses guys, I haven't got round to doing squats in the gym yet as I always do it with my training partner, next time we are there I'll ask him to video for me, getting a personal trainer to help us a really good idea and will do that in the mean time I have been doing the equivalent of the goblet squats but with atlas stones only 20kg but that seems to work more so with the weight being infront of me as I think I'm more conscious of keeping my back straight,

Will keep you all posted and once again cheers for all your responses every last one has been helpful
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Yeah...no.