Effective workout for beginner?

Options
I am new to working out and have never set foot in a gym before (As a college student, that's sad). I have about 20-25 pounds to lose and want a workout that will be effective in order to lose weight and at the same time not make me hurt myself. I only have a treadmill at home but, I'm a little scared because I don't want to get shin splints or anything like that. I am mostly a homebody. Any youtube workouts or dvds that you have found to work?

Replies

• cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you're just walking, risk of shin splints is super low. Take it easy... even if you start with 10-20 minutes a day. I prefer walking outside to treadmills tho.

Also, I know a lot of people that like to get yoga or pilates DVDs to use at home and then once you feel a little more comfortable take those classes at the gym. Sometimes having a set class helps with motivation. The series of 5 in pilates is a great ab workout.

If you prefer staying at home and wanna get in some cardio there's things like jump roping, hula hooping, ect. Dance Central for Xbox is also ridiculously fun :)
  • sayyestohealthy
    sayyestohealthy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Check out fitness blender, blogilates - think it might be called popsugar now, and 30 day shred. You can find them for free on youtube :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    It's gotta be said: Leslie Sansone DVDs are wonderful. You can make them as low impact -- or high impact -- as you'd like. She's very chatty, which some people find annoying. (I don't.)

• strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    P90, 21 Day Fix, and PIYO are all good. If you like to dance Cize is a great one to do.
  • moc247
    moc247 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @Sunny1007 I think you should start with this dvd amazon.com/Start-Walking-Home-Leslie-Sansone/dp/B003HC9JIW

I think its just what you have been looking for, ticks all your boxes
    goodluck with it

michelle