hit Plateau already?

Options
I am new at this myfitnesspal but I would like to share a little bit of what's going on with me for some advice as well as support from others that are also trying to lose weight.

I am 5'4 and currently weight 165. My weight has always being around 150 to 160 but then I had a problem with my back last year that resulted in a bulged disk on #15 (I think). Because of this situation I couldn't exercise for the longest time resulting in a gain weight up to 171.

Now, I've been on a diet/exercise routine (finally the doctor gave the o.k. to workout) since April 28th. So far I've lost from 171 to 165 but now the scale is NOT moving at all.

I've been going to the gym 3 times a week doing elliptical, treadmill and a little bit of toning with weights, about 1/2 an hour of everything, each time, as I don't want to push yet, cause my back still hurts at times.

Is it possible that I've hit plateau? Why is the scale not moving? I do feel my body is loosing inches but that's about it.

If anybody has the time to read my food log (don't know if others can do that) or give me some advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Losing inches but thats about it?? No that is it!! Thats what you want. I know we were programmed to watch the scale. I still do but when it comes to truly measuring progress its by inches lost and lowering your body fat percentage. The scale doesn't know if you are losing/gaining fat, muscle or water. If you are losing inches I assure you that you body fat percentage is lower than when you started which is awesome.

The scale will move. It has no choice because you still have fat to burn. If there is no underline medical concerns, you are eating healthy and exercising the results will show. And you are seeing results.
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Chanage something up. My husband was at the same point early last week. We changed the direction of our walk and increased it by about a quarter mile. And this is the point that bothers most women about me....He dropped SEVEN pounds that week. Just by changing the amount of hills and length one day. Hope this helps. I have hit my own plateau after 11 pounds lost.
  • Micheledc
    Micheledc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! Someone help!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I hit the same problem but I just need to up my exercise because I am limited still on what I can do. But maybe you are building muscle the scale is just a numbers thing trust me you could be loosing alot of bulk and not know it. I suggest measuring yourself and relying on that as loss :)
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Desirai! This is exactly what I need to hear this morning!!! You look TERRIFIC!!! :smile:
  • emilybrittain
    Options
    bump!
  • losriama
    losriama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, I will keep on going and not let anything get between me and my weight loss goals!!!