chicken leg calories seem wrong??

Options
Im confused? I am putting in chicken leg without skin and it is telling me that there are only half the calories than I expect judging from other places online

Its not just one searched option here under chicken leg without skin, they all seem to be showing half the calories than I think is correct?

I have had to put down that I am eating twice as many to make the cals correct but is there a way to work out which is right as I dont understand why the big difference ..which amount of calories is correct>
one medium chicken leg without skin??? how many cals should it actually be?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    when in doubt I always go with the usda entries here.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    A leg is rather imprecise because they can differ. Id just weigh the meat without bone and skin, there are plenty of entries for cooked and uncooked chicken meat. If you disagree with a DB entry then make your own.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Usually I weigh my food raw, but make an exception when it comes to meat ( almost always chicken or fowl ) with bones. I take the cooked meat off the bone and then weigh it. There are many accurate numbers in the data base.
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    thanks for the info I will take the meat off and weigh it in future to get an accurate number of cals. Once I have a ballpark number I can use it in future as suggested..thanks everyone :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tag stuff like that with USDA
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I weigh my chicken leg cooked, in grams, and then after dinner, subtract the leftovers - skin, bones, and bits. You should weigh them each time since there can be quite the difference from one leg to another.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I weigh my chicken leg cooked, in grams, and then after dinner, subtract the leftovers - skin, bones, and bits. You should weigh them each time since there can be quite the difference from one leg to another.

∆∆ Definitely this!!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating the legs off my Costco rotisserie chicken. I weighed them, put them on a plate, ate the meat off the bone and then weighed the bones when I was finished. That way I knew exactly how many grams I had.
  • 123juliaj123
    123juliaj123 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    ahhh good thinking - weigh the bones and skin afterwards!! didnt think of that