How much sport is too much?

Options
The question pretty much said it. When is sport getting unhealthy?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    When you get ill or injurred from exhaustion.
    What are you doing?
  • abstinentia
    abstinentia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I run for about thirty minuts everyday and cycle 80 minuts four times a week. But I'm still going up. And that all to not get over 1000 netto kcal
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    nah thats not too much. The limit should be how much you can recover from.

That said its food conusmption you have to address first and exercise is only a smaller influence on calorie deficits.

If by going up you mean you are still increasing in weight then you need to address your food intake , weight and log it so you are at deficit as desired. Inaccurate logging and eating more than you think is one of if not the most common problem with people not losing.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You should have at least one rest day per week so your body can recover.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No this is not too much, especially for a teenager. Unless you just decided to do all this one week after years of being a couch potato, in which case, slow down and take breaks whenever you feel tired.
    If you are not losing, look again at what you are eating. You are underestimating your calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When it takes a physical, mental or emotional toll that is unhealthy. If you're feeling obsessive or compulsive or you're getting too thin, it's time to seek help.

Personally, I don't do "rest days." Occasionally, I'll take a day off for one reason or another, but I don't skip a day of exercise because I worry that my body won't be able to handle being worked every day.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Most people can handle more than they think. It's just important to listen to your body and back off if you are in pain beyond the occasional sore muscles or exhaustion sets in. If you want a rest day then take it. I like to do active rest where I may not lift or run but I will do yoga so I'm still getting some activity in for the day.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Are you aiming for 1000 net kcal? Why? It's not necessarily too much work, but the question is why are you doing it. Because you're training for something? Because you love it? Or to burn off a diet that's not as tight as it should be?
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Exercise is unhealthy when you're burning out mentally. If your form is effected and your body is screaming "LET ME REST" - take a step back and re-evaluate what you are doing. I don't believe there is such thing as 'too much' exercise generally, but there is such thing as 'too much' for *yourself*. Only you can judge - don't burn out! :) Make sure you rest those muscles too.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When you get sick or are experience ongoing pain. Burning out results in weight gain and exhaustion and illness.
  • abstinentia
    abstinentia Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    When your body can't physically handle it anymore.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png