My First 5k

Options

Replies

• Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Good luck, can't wait to hear how you get on tomorrow.
  • MissusSpags
    MissusSpags Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am up and getting in the shower...wheeeee!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    You got this! Enjoy!
  • henrycook88
    henrycook88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So, I recently tried the Couch to 5k program. Made it through Week 4 and then decided it felt too "regimented" for me. I ended up just upping my distance each week, little by little.

Comfortably, I can run 2.5 miles without too much effort. 2.75 if I'm feeling cocky..lol.

Tuesday of this week, my 12 year old son told me he'd been chosen by his middle school to sing the national anthem at the start of 5k road race on Saturday. I checked out the website for the cause and before I could even think, "What the heck am I thinking?", I registered to run.

Wednesday, just to prove to myself that I'm not a complete whackadoo, I went to my regular trail and ran 3.1. All at once..without walking once. Got in my car and cried tears of utter and complete joy.

I'm really hoping that I'm ready for this but if you can all keep me in your thoughts tomorrow morning at 9am, I'd be grateful. :)

• henrycook88
    henrycook88 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck I started training for 5k June 29th in the beginning just walking now I can jog the whole 5k now at 34 minutes and 54 seconds hope to do my first 5k this fall
  • shinycupcake
    shinycupcake Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aaah best of luck to you!! I'm supposed to be running my first 5k at the end of next month. I've been trying the couch to 5k thing as well, but I've been stuck at week 4 and not found the ability to push further. I actually came looking for advice on that, and I may just go ahead and try your method of just pushing the distance a little further each time I go out.

Also, good luck to your son with the singing bit. That's a pretty cool honor to have.
  • MissusSpags
    Options
  • MissusSpags
    Options
    Good luck I started training for 5k June 29th in the beginning just walking now I can jog the whole 5k now at 34 minutes and 54 seconds hope to do my first 5k this fall

You can do it!!!! It's so exhilarating! So much more than I thought it would be. :)

• MissusSpags
    Options
    Aaah best of luck to you!! I'm supposed to be running my first 5k at the end of next month. I've been trying the couch to 5k thing as well, but I've been stuck at week 4 and not found the ability to push further. I actually came looking for advice on that, and I may just go ahead and try your method of just pushing the distance a little further each time I go out.

Also, good luck to your son with the singing bit. That's a pretty cool honor to have.

Yeah, I started out walking really fast and then when I wasn't really winded doing that, I'd jog for a few tenths of a mile and then walk for a few tenths. I'd slowly increase the amount of tenths I was doing until before I knew it, a mile had gone by. Did that for a few weeks on the rail trail near my house which is a total of 3.2 miles. Now I usually walk the first .2 miles and run the rest, cooling down in the parking lot before heading home.

You can do it!

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well done MissusSpags! Awesome job!
  • MissusSpags
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • barbara30324
    barbara30324 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I'm getting inspired by your story and blog!
  • MissusSpags
    Options
    Congrats, I'm getting inspired by your story and blog!

I am so glad! That means the world to me. <3

• Chessie28804
    Chessie28804 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can do this! A 5k race is so much different than running on your own. I bet you will be surprised at how well you will do! The sideline motivation, the crowd, the rush is so exhilarating! It will fuel you.
  • MissusSpags
    Options
    You can do this! A 5k race is so much different than running on your own. I bet you will be surprised at how well you will do! The sideline motivation, the crowd, the rush is so exhilarating! It will fuel you.

Thanks Chessie...I actually shared a link on the first page of this thread to my blog that told about the race! And everything you said in your comment happened!

• verhunzt
    verhunzt Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Isn't it crazy how at first you're thinking "I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THAT" and you feel so unathletic and then boom you're running a 5k. It's the best feeling.
  • MissusSpags
    Options
    verhunzt wrote: »
    Isn't it crazy how at first you're thinking "I'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO DO THAT" and you feel so unathletic and then boom you're running a 5k. It's the best feeling.

It absolutely IS the best feeling! I had a fantastic day yesterday...even after the race. I was just so happy and amazed at myself.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! I'm proud of you, and I don't even know you!! :) I remember my first 5k SO vividly... I think I cried pretty much the entire way, lol. I've done many races since. The excitement never gets old. So, will you be signing up for another race? ;)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Outstanding!! What a great accomplishment!
  • MissusSpags
    Options
    Amazing work! I'm proud of you, and I don't even know you!! :) I remember my first 5k SO vividly... I think I cried pretty much the entire way, lol. I've done many races since. The excitement never gets old. So, will you be signing up for another race? ;)

Lol! I need all the supporters I can get! This thread was a big part of how I was able to push through and get 'er done. I have already been scoping out local races in my area. Rest assured, you folks will be the first to know!!