Lower Calorie Subtitutions

Options
Whiskeytub
Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
Hi all, I'm sure there is a great knowledge pool around here for substituting certain ingredients in recipes or meals in order to make them lower in calories. Here are a few I've found (some right here on MFP). It doesn't always taste the same but most of the time it's still delicious and worth it for the calorie reduction. Care to share some of your own?

-PB2 instead of peanut butter in oatmeal

-Low fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta

-Hummus instead of mayonnaise in tuna salad - it is not the same dish at all but much lower in calories and has a really tasty sort of mediterranean flavor.

-Cooking spray instead of butter for frying eggs

-Salty sauteed cabbage and kale instead of cheese in certain casseroles (particularly those containing rice) - the cabbage gets a nice creamy texture and the kale strands mimic cheese strands. Not to mention the extra nutrients.

I'd love to hear what you've got!

Replies

• MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    Cauliflower instead of rice. I haven't tried it though.
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am going to try that hummus in tuna idea. Thanks!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Nonfat plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Works in pretty much any circumstance. Pounding raw chicken tenders/breasts until flat and using them as a pizza crust - tried it last night. Wow.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Vegetable rice or vegetable noodles
    http://inspiralized.com/recipes/
  • merlins93
    merlins93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Purée cauliflower and eat it instead of mashed potatoes. Really thinly slice vegetables like zucchini, carrots,squash etc , boil them and eat them like spaghetti. Use whole romaine leafs as the bun of a sandwich instead of bread
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cauliflower or zucchini tots instead of tater tots. Also heard of cauliflower and zucchini pizza crust. Instead of juice you could do crystal light packets or powerade or propel zero. If you want the flavor of cheese on something i heard nutritional yeast is suppose to taste like it.
  • lewhitney12
    lewhitney12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Adding a ranch packet to plain greek yogurt! Amazing as a dip or on salad!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use horseradish sauce for salad dressing. The kind I get is 20 cal. per tblspn and I don't need more than that for a giant salad...
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt in everything!

65fb769bd6c98614ae8f47f38d2b9b07.jpg

• mrsdrshot
    mrsdrshot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Justifier - that's awesome! I use it a ton too (but I like another brand) :)
  • LdLorriedavis
    LdLorriedavis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use salsa instead of salad dressing. It not only cuts the calories; you get in more vegetables.
  • FaHazelnut
    FaHazelnut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The cauliflower rice is amazing... I use it alot with my meals
  • CutsandCurves
    CutsandCurves Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My best learning experience has been to eat clean. Only shop fruit vegi lean meat isle in grocery store. Keep you meals simple. A lean meat and a side of vegis. Herbs for seasoning. Example last night was chopped potatoes onions garlic bell pepper asparagus drizzled with olive oil and salt pepper. Put vegis in bottom of skillet. Seasoned two skinless chicken breast with rosemary garlic spices. Roast uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven top chicken with honey and mustard. Return to oven and cook another 20 or thirty minutes until chicken is done. Baked are 450. You can sub with any vegis. Dinner served. Ps what do you ride? I have a Dyna glide.
  • kristymcniel1
    kristymcniel1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! totally trying this

• jeccalway
    jeccalway Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use plain yogurt in everything! To replace mayonnaise or sour cream. In tina, curries, chilis, whatever. It's a great salad dressing with a little balsamic vinegar!
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream can be substituted with 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use salsa instead of salad dressing. It not only cuts the calories; you get in more vegetables.

I do this too! Salsa is one of my favorite "dressings"!

• TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I use a spiral veggie slicer with zuchinni in place of actual spaghetti. I'll saute them in coconut oil and then add shrimp and lightly salt to taste. Amazing.
    I also use cornstarch instead of flour when making gravy.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

I have got to remember that... I need something lower cal for a veggie dip. Thanks!!