Tread Mill... Uuuuuugh!

Options
It's amazing how easily I can get 7 miles of walking done by just going outside and walking. But I spend to much time trying to accomplish the same goal on a treadmill. Even set between 3.5 to 4.0
This is such a drag... does anyone have this same problem???

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    that's why I don't use a treadmill unless I absolutely have to...and when I absolutely have to, I just do it.
  • HunieG36
    HunieG36 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    that's why I don't use a treadmill unless I absolutely have to...and when I absolutely have to, I just do it.

It's been raining a lot here in Florida so I haven't been able to really get out and about. Then with a gym membership they make the treadmill so relevant... but I spent 45 minutes doing 2 miles... smh. It's such a drag.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Do some other cardio then or use an umbrella. They both have their place indoors and outdoors.
  • HunieG36
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Do some other cardio then or use an umbrella. They both have their place indoors and outdoors.

Thanks 999tigger... I'm definitely a walker and a runner. Lol! And I hate to have things in my hands when doing so... I'll just have to make it work somehow... embrace the suck. :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you dont like the treadmill then try some of the other cardio options or even better lift some weights to increase the % of fat lost. I dont like treadmill as am always wary of shooting off. Stairclimber, rower, bike or eliptical all involve a different motion which can use different muscles.
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    That's the thing with the treadmill - a moment of weakness & it's easy to press stop....can't do that when you go out walking/running as you've gotta get home....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    HunieG36 wrote: »

It's been raining a lot here in Florida so I haven't been able to really get out and about. Then with a gym membership they make the treadmill so relevant... but I spent 45 minutes doing 2 miles... smh. It's such a drag.

oh man...nothing better than running in the rain IMO.
  • HunieG36
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    If you dont like the treadmill then try some of the other cardio options or even better lift some weights to increase the % of fat lost. I dont like treadmill as am always wary of shooting off. Stairclimber, rower, bike or eliptical all involve a different motion which can use different muscles.

I will try these... and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the insight. :)
  • HunieG36
    Options
    beastier wrote: »
    That's the thing with the treadmill - a moment of weakness & it's easy to press stop....can't do that when you go out walking/running as you've gotta get home....

Lmbo!!! Your so right about that... lol! I don't know outside just feels better. :)
  • HunieG36
    Options

oh man...nothing better than running in the rain IMO.

Omg, in the rain! Your a beast!!! I'd be sick in the morning. Lol!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Swimming is also good exercise!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I started running on treadmills due to higher than normal levels of mosquitoes this summer. I definitely don't run as far but I find doing intervals makes it bearable.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's been raining a lot here in Florida

skin is waterproof...
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I assume you've tried music, TV or even a book? If so and you're still bored, the treadmill just isn't for you. I agree with the people above about getting onto some other machines, trying weights, maybe do a cardio class like some kind of dance or even a bootcamp type thing.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Good music gives me energy and motivation on treadmill. Until I over listen to it and then I have to look for something new =/
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I would try running in the rain on the hot days, different machines, or possibly using an app like Bitgym that you use on a larger tablet to seem as if you are running outside. The app plays a video and uses your camera to determine your speed and how fast the video moves with you throughout the scenery. This app helped me during the winter with two feet of snow on the ground as I completed my workout on the elliptical (I typically picked sunny beach routes to "run" for motivation!) Also, you can use your tablet if your treadmill doesn't have a TV to watch a movie on Netflix to help time go by quicker on a treadmill.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Good music gives me energy and motivation on treadmill. Until I over listen to it and then I have to look for something new =/

Good post!

I used to walk outside but now go to a gym because I have relatives with a history of skin cancer. I do use a treadmill but only for about 20 min. and then also use a bike and weights. Yes, music certainly helps me too, but you may want to vary your work-out to include other things or try something else.

70044776.png
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Treadmills can get boring, but I kind of make a challenge of it. I set it for 30 min, some days are 40 min and I try to beat my distance from last time. So I'm constantly changing my speed. I do intervals, or follow a hiit workout, or make something up as I go, but I never go the same speed for very long. I always wear headphones and listen to music.

On Sunday's, I don't run, but I walk. Now that football is back I can walk for a long time while I'm watching my favorite team play
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    beastier wrote: »

So true! I hate the treadmill. It feels like each km is going FOREVER, even if I'm listening to music or podcasts.

OP there's nothing wrong with running in the rain - it's quite nice actually, especially if it's summer. Alternatively find some cardio you can do at home - I'm a fan of my skipping rope to get my HR up if I can't get outside.
  • hyperbeth1
    hyperbeth1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do a lot with the treadmill during the week, but I do walk and run more on the weekend.