I feel worthless and don't know how to stop feeling this way.

Options
I just restarted my weightloss journey in August and have lost 15 Ibs. When I was 13 I was so ashamed of my weight that I began taking laxatives as a weightloss method which didn't work but I did this up until recently and I'm now 17. I don't have any issues with weightloss I just have issues with feeling good about myself and feeling worthy. I feel so good about myself sometimes and then when the sun sets or if I get in a bad mood I feel worthless and fat and just digusting. I've had two previous suicide attempts when i was fifteen because feeling this way and I'm tired of not being good enough for myself. I just want to feel good.

I don't know how to feel good about myself and I don't know who to talk to. I realize that I'm worth just as much as everyone else and realize there's nothing wrong with how I look right now but I don't know how to truly accept these words and if anyone has been through this please tell me what to do. I would also be so grateful if anyone could give me motivation and positive words as well. Thanks in advance I really appreciate any help.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    It sounds like you have some issues that need to be worked through . I would suggest finding a counselor or therapist that could help you work this out . do you have a trusted religious leader, school guidance counselor or any other trusted adult who can help you find the treatment?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A positive self worth doesn't come easy--particularly at your age. But talking about it really DOES help, and it does get better! Please seek out someone to talk to--from your church, or your school, or maybe from a local community center or nonprofit organization. Google "youth counseling" in your area and see what's nearby.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    As others have said, firstly maybe look into professional help.
    Learning about (and applying) nutrition/exercise will help improve self esteam/mood/confidence. You will feel better.
    The world is a big place. Don't just exist inside a bubble. Go outside and appreciate nature, animals and nice people. Try to surround yourself with healthy and productive things/hobbies/people.
    Stop reading/over consuming media and social media which gives an unrealistic view of the world and what you should aspire too. Many of these things are fruitless and only compound anxiety/self esteam issues. They might seem interesting/entertaining/important at the time but they are merely distractions to briefly occupy your mind and make you wish to consume things that ultimately wont make you happy/at peace.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You are a minor ... talk to your parents ... talk to a counselor.

This thread will likely disappear because the OP is not old enough to be a member of the forum.
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kati Morton is a therapist who makes youtube videos and has a website. She talks about a lot of topics to do with mental health and treatment like how to find a good therapist ect. Hope this helps <3
  • Loren0105
    Loren0105 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Open your heart to Jesus and start reading the word and attending a Church (spiritual) then start working out with a buddy (Physical). Once you began to change your mind about yourself by reading and hear what Jesus thinks of you then mentally your thoughts will began to become positive. Then your outcome will become more clear.

~ Minister Blue Jay. :wink:
  • mariahb721
    mariahb721 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm no longer in high school, I graduated a year early. I'm not religious so church is out of the question for me but I am spiritual and have been watching many videos that do help me and I watch a spiritual psychologist. I find that when I have moments of weakness I just need kind words. In the future I may decide to get an actual counselor but for the moment reading these comments made me realize that I am capable of helping myself because only I know what I truly need so thanks everyone :) and yes nature and animals do help me :p
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you have one available, talk to the crisis line or suicide prevention line. If nothing else, they will listen to you.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    mariahb721 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'm no longer in high school, I graduated a year early. I'm not religious so church is out of the question for me but I am spiritual and have been watching many videos that do help me and I watch a spiritual psychologist. I find that when I have moments of weakness I just need kind words. In the future I may decide to get an actual counselor but for the moment reading these comments made me realize that I am capable of helping myself because only I know what I truly need so thanks everyone :) and yes nature and animals do help me :p

I'm glad you seem to be feeling better today. Please search your local human service dept to see if they have any free or low cost counseling services available. ( I'm assuming because your younger that you may not have much money ,but I could be very wrong. If I'm wrong , then you can Google therapist in your area and get names and numbers from there. Otherwise, your local social services my be able to point you in the direction of low cost or free help )
    I know things may seem hopeless at times and it's hard to imagine a healthy happy future, but it really is possible. One day you could look back at this and be glad you sought help. Your life really truly is worth much more then you realize right now and you are worthy of a happy life. Just trust me on this one, I was young and hopeless once too . but now I'm 37, married, kids, dogs and all the other stuff , I'm so glad I hung on because I ended up happy in the end. If I would've given up then, I wouldn't know just how happy life can be now. Please keep your head high and seek treatment for these feelings. You deserve to be happy and can achieve it.
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My younger sister went thru the same thing, and finally she felt so close to hurting herself she was moved to speak up about it. We got her some help - she had to take a semester off college to take care of herself, but she got back on track and graduated and with treatment has left the depression behind, and now knows lots of tools to use to help herself when she feels down. People's reaction is often to keep quiet or feel it's better to take care of it on your own, and we are not a family who had dealt with this particular problem before - BUT we were all so proud of her and I think it's the bravest thing she ever did - to overcome the fear and reach out for help. It really does get better. She is always saying it should be more talked about - she will easily tell anyone her experience because her big hope is that it won't seem such a taboo subject so others won't have such a hurdle to overcome to share how they feel, which is why I'm sharing her story with you. Tell someone you trust - you are worth ALOT and it does get better. Hugs from me and my sis!!
  • mariahb721
    Options
    I'm not suicidal I haven't been for almost three years so calling a hotline would be wasteful for both parties my ONLY issue is my bad self confidence, that is my one and ONLY issue currently. I have therapy as a option however I'm just not intersted at this moment in my life. Thanks anyways guys I'm not sure how to delete this thread but I'm not really resonating with any suggestions but I appreciate that people care so thanks anyways. Maybe I didn't word my comment in the best way but I think people may not fully understand what I was asking for based on responses.
  • mariahb721
    Options
    Ishii19 wrote: »
    My younger sister went thru the same thing, and finally she felt so close to hurting herself she was moved to speak up about it. We got her some help - she had to take a semester off college to take care of herself, but she got back on track and graduated and with treatment has left the depression behind, and now knows lots of tools to use to help herself when she feels down. People's reaction is often to keep quiet or feel it's better to take care of it on your own, and we are not a family who had dealt with this particular problem before - BUT we were all so proud of her and I think it's the bravest thing she ever did - to overcome the fear and reach out for help. It really does get better. She is always saying it should be more talked about - she will easily tell anyone her experience because her big hope is that it won't seem such a taboo subject so others won't have such a hurdle to overcome to share how they feel, which is why I'm sharing her story with you. Tell someone you trust - you are worth ALOT and it does get better. Hugs from me and my sis!!

Thanks so much for this response! My big brother is a psychologist so I can talk to him when it gets really bad. :)
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Ishii19 wrote: »

Thanks so much for this response! My big brother is a psychologist so I can talk to him when it gets really bad. :)

Why wait until it gets really bad? Your brother might have some tools that he can share with you to be really happy instead of going from 'okay' to 'really bad'. Happy is the way to go. And you could have the most perfect body in the world, but if you haven't learned how to be happy you still won't be. It doesn't come naturally to many of us, we have to practice and we have to learn how to create a social/work/home environment that supports our happiness. So go ask him how he learned to be happy. If he isn't happy or doesn't know why he is happy, go to someone who does know and learn from that person. And if you can't find anyone who is really happy who can teach you how they got that way, then you'll have to learn for yourself.

Let me give you a little hint: It doesn't come from trying to make other people happy or make them like you or from living up to their expectations.

• JullesBurn
    JullesBurn Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Worthlessness bites, so does low-self esteem. I find that I'm plagued by such feelings whenever I focus on 'how I compare to others.' Damn, I not as pretty, not as successful, not as talented, not as well liked, not as funny, not as fierce, not as intelligent, not as capable, to infinity and beyond.

But when I stop worrying about how I compare to others, and start reaching deep into myself to see what it is I'm passionate about and what I want to develop for myself, then I get a little scared as well.... is there anything I can do? I've started writing about a year ago and when I'm writing - when I'm actually doing it, I'm happy. Just creating something from nothing is therapy for me. But, when I'm done writing and I'm comparing my success to others - I can find myself getting depressed again.

So - compare myself = depression / focus on creating something unique to me = happy

I suggest tapping into your inner creativity, then create something.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to feel good about myself and I don't know who to talk to. I realize that I'm worth just as much as everyone else and realize there's nothing wrong with how I look right now but I don't know how to truly accept these words and if anyone has been through this please tell me what to do. I would also be so grateful if anyone could give me motivation and positive words as well. Thanks in advance I really appreciate any help.

Sometimes knowing something is vastly different than feeling something. And sometimes the feelings are being influenced by neurochemicals in the brain, that might be out of balance. And sometimes the neurochemicals are OK but there are other deep seated issues from your past blocking your ability to feel good about yourself.

With that all being said some have recommended you see a professional to make sure that you don't need additional help beyond a motivational talk.

Here's my motivational talk. For many, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. And that leads to unmet expectations, and to dissatisfaction with the lawn on your side of the fence. We all would be happier by accepting what we can't change and changing what we can. And knowing the difference. This is your one life and you get to ignore what you feel and go out and make every day count, for yourself and for others. Be so busy that you don't have time to listen to your constantly chit chatting brain. Just live to the fullest. Do that for s month, and then a year. Let us know how you "feel" about yourself then. And- have fun while you do it.

Set some goals, write them down on paper, and attempt to accomplish them. Concrete goals, not feeling goals.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    As others have said, firstly maybe look into professional help.
    Learning about (and applying) nutrition/exercise will help improve self esteam/mood/confidence. You will feel better.
    The world is a big place. Don't just exist inside a bubble. Go outside and appreciate nature, animals and nice people. Try to surround yourself with healthy and productive things/hobbies/people.
    Stop reading/over consuming media and social media which gives an unrealistic view of the world and what you should aspire too. Many of these things are fruitless and only compound anxiety/self esteam issues. They might seem interesting/entertaining/important at the time but they are merely distractions to briefly occupy your mind and make you wish to consume things that ultimately wont make you happy/at peace.

I agree with all of this and with what @JullesBurn said. Yes, some sort of therapy would be a good idea as well, but sometimes the key to improving ourselves is to stop focusing solely on ourselves and turn our attention outward. Live, learn, explore. You will find your self-worth if you continue to learn and do new things.
  • LuckyLys
    LuckyLys Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I see you said you graduated early. If you're in college, most of them have counseling and resources for students.

From what you've said, it sounds like you've been struggling with depression and an eating disorder/body dysmorphia. It would be best if you could get yourself into counseling to help you deal with it.