side benefits of losing weight

Options
hroush
hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
Something I started thinking about this morning, additional benefits to losing weight that are not a part of your original goals. Yes, it's usually to be healthier, look better, blah blah, but I think there are many things that people don't realize, so I thought it would be fun to start a list.

1. The summer is much more bearable. You are not wearing the permanent winter coat anymore now that you've lost all that fat. Sure, it's a little colder in the winter, but it's much easier to put on another layer of clothes than to remove the fat.
2. Pay less for A/C. You can keep the temperature in the house much warmer, because you want it to be warmer. You may even be able to live without the A/C, just use a fan, or open the windows.
3. Grocery bill is (usually) less. Eat less food, grocery bill is less. I suppose this could be different for different people if they decided to go organic or they were eating really cheap junk before.
4. Fit in airplane seats, roller coaster seats, etc. better.
5. Shop at "normal" stores. Now that you fit in "normal" clothes, you have more selection, and depending where you shop, can save you a little money too. And besides, you need a new wardrobe for the new you.
6. Don't tire as quickly. You can now easily walk the mall for hours without stopping, which is a good thing because you have all these new stores to explore.

I know some of these may be on your list of reasons for losing weight, especially #5 for ladies, but what are additional benefits that you've noticed?

Replies

• ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For roughly every 30lbs you lose you gain an inch on your manhood. :)
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    All true, except #3. The grocery stores (and farmer's markets) totally nail you on the prices for fresh produce. My grocery bill has gone up at least 30-40% in the past 5 months. But I'll pay... the end result is worth it.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Shut up!!! Or are you joking?!
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    I've bought high heels for the first time in 15 years since I'm not putting as much pressure on that tiny little bit of foot.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options

That is only sort of correct. Weight loss does not increase the size any more than jelqing and those sorts of things. In reality, the loss of fat in the flashy areas in the vicinity makes your wedding tackle look bigger.
    -wtk
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I was getting colds constantly before I started this journey. Haven't had one that lasted more than a day since I joined MFP :) I believe this has to do with my much lower sugar intake. There have been studies done that say overdoing it with sugar (like I was doing with 1 or 2 twelve ounce red bulls a day) can lower your immune system. I believe it. Since I gave that stuff up and started eating better and exercise I have not really been sick!
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    stronger bladder control:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hroush
    Options

Such a great way to start this thread :laugh:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    All true, except #3. The grocery stores (and farmer's markets) totally nail you on the prices for fresh produce. My grocery bill has gone up at least 30-40% in the past 5 months. But I'll pay... the end result is worth it.

Of course, the price of EVERYTHING has gone up, too. You'd be paying more no matter what kind of food you are buying.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

That is only sort of correct. Weight loss does not increase the size any more than jelqing and those sorts of things. In reality, the loss of fat in the flashy areas in the vicinity makes your wedding tackle look bigger.
    -wtk

Trim the area as well. It adds to it too. Don't go bald, unless your lady likes it that way. Good post! ANother benefit though.... people like feeling you up now.
  • MsVeeLo
    MsVeeLo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The airplane seat reason is really big with me. On older AA planes I need a seatbelt extender. That has to be the most embarrasing thing to ask for EVER!!

I'm gaining an appreciation for the taste of food without added sauces/toppings/fats.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    "wedding tackle" lololol!!! that's a new term for me... who knows, maybe I've been living under a rock for to long, but this made me laugh til I cried!
  • bobbrich
    bobbrich Posts: 6
    Options
    Not waking up late feeling grumpy. Showers feel a lot better...you want to look in the mirror now..lol
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    wedding tackle

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options

-wtk

Mine went up too, but its slowly going back down as I figure out what I'm doing better. lol
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Sleep better at night which results in being more awake during the day.

Mental healthy: I no longer am an addict of food. I eat when I am hungry, I dont' eat when I am not hungry

I don't get sick as often

I can stand in a pair of heels for much longer now

on the flip side; here are my downs to being skinnier lol (not that I mind)

It hurts my tush to sit in hard chairs for extended periods of time.
    I am FREEZING all the time
    I have to buy a whole new wardrobe
    I have now joined the IBTC(itty bitty titty committee)
    My body can no longer handle a whole plate of brownies/cookies/desserts even tho my mind says go for it!
    I have this irritating addiction to exercise... like if I don't work out I have heart failure.
    and
    Grocery shopping results in nothing that is quick/easy/grab and go to eat... I make EVERYTHING!

haha
  • hroush
    Options

-wtk

Trim the area as well. It adds to it too. Don't go bald, unless your lady likes it that way. Good post! ANother benefit though.... people like feeling you up now.

People just walk up to you on the street and feel you up? I think I need to go lose some more then as that's never happened to me :tongue:
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options

-wtk

Dr. Oz talked about it on his show. Yeah, the fence post doesn't actually grow, but the mound of dirt around it is smaller so you see more of it.
  • hroush
    Options
    on the flip side; here are my downs to being skinnier lol (not that I mind)

It hurts my tush to sit in hard chairs for extended periods of time.
    I am FREEZING all the time
    I have to buy a whole new wardrobe
    I have now joined the IBTC(itty bitty titty committee)
    My body can no longer handle a whole plate of brownies/cookies/desserts even tho my mind says go for it!
    I have this irritating addiction to exercise... like if I don't work out I have heart failure.
    and
    Grocery shopping results in nothing that is quick/easy/grab and go to eat... I make EVERYTHING!

haha

I thought about making a downside to weight loss as well, but decided not to. I think quite a few people would still list many of these under benefits, except for the freezing one as that drives me nuts as well.

As for the quick and easy to eat stuff, in some ways I cook less now. I tend to make larger meals, especially in my crock pot, so then I have healthy leftovers to grab instead of prepackaged unhealthy stuff.
  • hroush
    Options

-wtk

Dr. Oz talked about it on his show. Yeah, the fence post doesn't actually grow, but the mound of dirt around it is smaller so you see more of it.

awesome analogy!