Pregnant, need support

Options
I was trying to lose weight, then things came up and we couldn't wait to get pregnant :smiley:

So, here I am...overweight and pregnant. I am just starting my 21st week (half way done!) and I have already gained 12 pounds. The suggested weight gain for my BMI is 15-25 pounds total. I feel I will blast past that, since in my last pregnancy the last two months was when I gained the most.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Or has anyone else gone through this? Any tips? hints? I'd love some advice or a friend requests to help me stay on track. :smile: Thanks!

Replies

• megan913508
    megan913508 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    While I'm not pregnant now (thank god) I gained a ton with both of my kids. I wasn't really concerned with what I ate, and I'm still trying to lose what I gained....8 years later. Don't try to lose weight while pregnant. You can gain slowly, or even stay about the same. But you want to keep your baby healthy. Make good food choices, and stay active. Feel free to add me. We all need support wherever we can get it
  • Pinkahlicious
    Pinkahlicious Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • aerosolo
    aerosolo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ignore the folks telling you that pregnancy is a time of chocolates and ice cream - I know at least *someone* has! :-)

Carrying snack packs of veggies can help quiet cravings. My favorites were sugar snap peas and broccoli. Classics are carrots and sliced bell peppers. Or peeled cucumber with a sprinkle of salt. Added bonus of good nutrition and low calories.
  • Pinkahlicious
    Options
    They did with my last pregnancy, hence the 60lb gain. Every one was life "you're eating for two" blah blah. That's how I got in trouble, I was 19 never been over weight didn't even cross my mind that I would gain like I did.

This time I have talked to my Dr about my weight, just did yesterday. She says my 12lb gain half way through is fine. She said you're not eating for two, you only need 200-300 extra calories a day. She told me to keep doing what I'm doing. So I'm going to keep my goal on MFP at maintain (2100 calories a day), which is 700 calories more than my losing goal. My cravings are usually pickles so that has helped this time! Lol.

I work from 8-5:30, home at 6 then after dinner and putting my daughter to bed it's 9pm. So it's really hard to find time to do much exercising. I am NOT a morning person so I really can't get up much earlier. I do yoga at night before I go to bed and walk on the weekends.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like you know what not to do since you gained 60 pounds with your last pregnancy. I learned a lot from my first pregnancy, like I can't eat whatever I want and expect to not get fat.

Of course your going to gain the most weight towards the end of your pregnancy. Your boobs get heavier, you've got a 6-8 pound baby, amniotic fluid, extra blood, extra water retention, placenta...

I wouldn't stress about it. Just make good food choices (sounds like you are based on your 2100 cals a day) and you really should try to exercise more.

Walk on your lunch break. It'll help mitigate weight gain and make labor easier. Good luck.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I like that you put Blast...and Past together...blast past!!!!!
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I was trying to lose weight, then things came up and we couldn't wait to get pregnant :smiley:

So, here I am...overweight and pregnant. I am just starting my 21st week (half way done!) and I have already gained 12 pounds. The suggested weight gain for my BMI is 15-25 pounds total. I feel I will blast past that, since in my last pregnancy the last two months was when I gained the most.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Or has anyone else gone through this? Any tips? hints? I'd love some advice or a friend requests to help me stay on track. :smile: Thanks!

I'm struggling with losing weight in order to feel like I'm healthy to get pregnant. We're going to start trying very early next year and I'm 155 right now which I feel is a bit heavy for a pregnancy. I'm really interested to see how your journey goes! Friend request sent! Good luck to you :-)
  • Pinkahlicious
    Options
    Yea I set to maintain and that's where it put me. So....I don't want to try to lose or eat less than I should be I just don't want to eat more!

Time to exercise is the hardest, plus I'm tired. My 11 year old is pretty severly disabled, so when I get home I try to take over for my husband who's a SAHD. Her behaviors are though to deal with some days. I could walk on my lunch break, but I also need to eat lunch. I'm trying to figure that one out. Maybe half hour for each?