What's your action plan for the Winter months?

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I am blessed to live in SoCal, so no real "winter." (I grew up in the mid-west and the east coast.) I lift a few days a week and if I can't run outside due to a downpour (fingers crossed--c'mon El Nino!), I hit the gym and do cardio there. So easy to stay outside even after dark, it's not been an issue for me since I moved here. :smiley:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    hi135 wrote: »
    I've heard from a lot of people in my circle talking about how they fell off the diet and exercise wagon over the summer due to vacations, BBQ's, parties, beach days and general summer-time laziness. From my perspective it's much easier to maintain and/or reach new goals in the summer... lean grilled meats, an abundance of fresh summer fruits and veggies, more outdoor activities, longer/warmer days. For me, heading into the Winter is a challenge. Shorter and colder days which means many activities are restricted to an inside space, it gets darker earlier which makes me feel like hibernating! lol! And of course the warm comfort foods and holidays.

Which season is easier/harder for you and why?

If you feel the Winter-time blues and struggle through the colder months, do you have a strategic plan for staying on the wagon? If so, what's your plan?

Summer is harder
    SuggaD wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My plan is to bulk during over the winter because holidays and I don't like being out in cold weather.

What does "cold" mean to a Texan?

Yeah I really can't take that seriously at all.

Texas winters aren't nearly as mild as they used to be. Last winter was really cold with plenty of freezing temperature days.

It was probably cold compared to what you're used to. But according to this,
    "Texas and Oklahoma averaged between 2 to 4 degrees F (1.11 to 2.22 degrees C) below normal" in January 2014.

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

200387147-001-new-york-city-people-standing-at-bus-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=qC44tbli%2B9ZoSy0xlxlWCVktaN53%2FCtnPrkgtOCOt%2B4nXu6ocKaP4K2thGNCHdyUdG9oK6GSb0psMqnrk6tZgg%3D%3D
    Those people are COLD

snow-storm-toronto.jpg?w=652&h=489

winter-storm-blizzard-verticle-car.jpg

http://globalnews.ca/news/1039255/homeless-man-found-frozen/

That's exactly how my winters look like. Lol it's so ugly...But to be honest I'm getting sick of summer, I'm over it. I need that cold fresh air now.

Yeah, I remember that. In a few years, you are probably going to disagree with your past self and join the hate winter train, which I am crossing my fingers will one day take me to California. Or any of these places - http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/top-10-us-states-with-best-weather.php . (ahem, it seems Texas is third on this list)
    I'm not sure whether you understand that the Rio Grande Valley -- which is relatively South Florida-like -- and the Gulf coast -- where it does stay relatively warm -- are 13 hours of driving and 900, yes, 900 miles south of Dalhart, Texas. Apparently not. El Paso is closer to San Diego than to Houston. It's just patently silly to talk about winter weather in Texas as being some homogenous thing. It's not.

The thing is, though, not all 27 million of us live in Brownsville. And anyone who tells you that the winter weather in the Texas panhandle is nice is brain damaged.

Thank you! It's a little offensive to have some people acting like we're morons for saying it gets cold here. I live here, I think I recognize snow falling from the sky and furthermore, why would I lie? :huh:
  • fadingweight
    fadingweight Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I actually lose more weight in the winter. Living in Florida can make the summer just unbearable for doing any outdoor activities. I just feel more upbeat and active in the winter. My problem is always right after the holidays. Praying for a different outcome this year! x
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've heard from a lot of people in my circle talking about how they fell off the diet and exercise wagon over the summer due to vacations, BBQ's, parties, beach days and general summer-time laziness. From my perspective it's much easier to maintain and/or reach new goals in the summer... lean grilled meats, an abundance of fresh summer fruits and veggies, more outdoor activities, longer/warmer days. For me, heading into the Winter is a challenge. Shorter and colder days which means many activities are restricted to an inside space, it gets darker earlier which makes me feel like hibernating! lol! And of course the warm comfort foods and holidays.

If you feel the Winter-time blues and struggle through the colder months, do you have a strategic plan for staying on the wagon? If so, what's your plan?

Summer is harder
    My plan is to bulk during over the winter because holidays and I don't like being out in cold weather.

Texas winters aren't nearly as mild as they used to be. Last winter was really cold with plenty of freezing temperature days.

"Texas and Oklahoma averaged between 2 to 4 degrees F (1.11 to 2.22 degrees C) below normal" in January 2014.

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

200387147-001-new-york-city-people-standing-at-bus-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=qC44tbli%2B9ZoSy0xlxlWCVktaN53%2FCtnPrkgtOCOt%2B4nXu6ocKaP4K2thGNCHdyUdG9oK6GSb0psMqnrk6tZgg%3D%3D
    Those people are COLD

That's exactly how my winters look like. Lol it's so ugly...But to be honest I'm getting sick of summer, I'm over it. I need that cold fresh air now.

Yeah, I remember that. In a few years, you are probably going to disagree with your past self and join the hate winter train, which I am crossing my fingers will one day take me to California. Or any of these places - http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/top-10-us-states-with-best-weather.php . (ahem, it seems Texas is third on this list)
    I'm not sure whether you understand that the Rio Grande Valley -- which is relatively South Florida-like -- and the Gulf coast -- where it does stay relatively warm -- are 13 hours of driving and 900, yes, 900 miles south of Dalhart, Texas. Apparently not. El Paso is closer to San Diego than to Houston. It's just patently silly to talk about winter weather in Texas as being some homogenous thing. It's not.

The thing is, though, not all 27 million of us live in Brownsville. And anyone who tells you that the winter weather in the Texas panhandle is nice is brain damaged.

Ok, it gets kind of cold in some parts of Texas sometimes.

Wikipedia: The worst cold snap to occur statewide occurred during the last half of December in 1983. Four stations recorded their longest continuous readings at or below 32 °F (0 °C) on record. At Austin, the temperature remained at or below freezing for 139 hours. At Abilene, the period at or below freezing totaled 202 hours. Lubbock saw temperatures at or below freezing for 207 hours. The Dallas-Fort Worth airport measured temperatures at or below freezing for a total of 296 consecutive hours. Snow which fell on December 14 and December 15 across northern Texas stayed on the ground until New Year's Day of 1984.[12]

^^ if that's your worst, I'm still not crying for yall.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just need to remember to put on gloves.

Seriously, I LOVED running in the cold last winter. It's a lot better than running in Texas summers.

As for the holidays, I'm just going to enjoy the food. Thanksgiving, Christmas day and eve, and my birthday are all worth overreating (new years was never a big thing in my family).
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Wikipedia: The worst cold snap to occur statewide occurred during the last half of December in 1983. Four stations recorded their longest continuous readings at or below 32 °F (0 °C) on record. At Austin, the temperature remained at or below freezing for 139 hours. At Abilene, the period at or below freezing totaled 202 hours. Lubbock saw temperatures at or below freezing for 207 hours. The Dallas-Fort Worth airport measured temperatures at or below freezing for a total of 296 consecutive hours. Snow which fell on December 14 and December 15 across northern Texas stayed on the ground until New Year's Day of 1984.[12]

I didn't ask you to cry for us. I said I don't like being out in the cold. See the difference?

And if constant hours below freezing is your criteria for whether it's too cold comfortably to exercise outside, what we're talking about ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport.

If you think 1 Celsius with a 25 mph wind from the north is good running weather, regardless of however much colder it might be somewhere else in the world at that particular moment, then good for you. I don't.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

I didn't ask you to cry for us. I said I don't like being out in the cold. See the difference?

And if constant hours below freezing is your criteria for whether it's too cold comfortably to exercise outside, what we're talking about ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport.

If you think 1 Celsius with a 25 mph wind from the north is good running weather, regardless of however much colder it might be somewhere else in the world at that particular moment, then good for you. I don't.

I have no idea why we're still talking about this - it's too cold for you to run, you said so, no one challenged that. I (and I guess some other people, not just me?) just thought it was funny to hear a Texan complain about cold. Because I grew up with winters averaging -20 C (-4F) to -40 C (-40F). Like for months at a time. At least a few times a year, most years, it would go down to -50 C (-58F). So, completely agree, it's definitely not in the same ballpark. If you say your winters are cold for you, I hear you, feeling cold sucks, but I'm also thinking, you could probably put on a sweater or a little jacket and be ok.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about the changing seasons. I'll probably do less bike riding and more working out in the gym as it gets colder.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I sign up for races so I have something to train for.

Although I too prefer running in cooler temperatures rather than hot (and as a born and bred Brit, too hot for me is 20+ Celsius, so I know I'm a wimp), I tend to go to the gym more autumn-spring because it gets dark early and I am so clumsy I know I will slip if it's too icy out.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Everyone is comparing outdoor weather and i'm over here worried about the pie and the treats and the pie and homemade fudge and I think there might be pie......
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

We're teasing you. We know cold is relative. Also hot. South Florida, Okinawa, and Costa Rica were way too hot for me, when they are actually rather temperate.

My opinion is that there is no bad weather, only bad gear, and I will happily engage in many outdoor activities in the winter, including winter camping in a tent, but once the temperature is in the 90s, or in the 80s with high humidity, I have absolutely no interest doing anything outside but swimming.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    my action plan is to get out my winter riding gear and continue to ride and to continue hitting the weight room. i make a lot of stews and whatnot in the winter...most stews aren't particularly high calorie...comforting and delicious, yes...but most stews are pretty easy on the calories.

i don't stress the holidays...they are but a couple of days and maybe some extra indulgence leading up to and afterwards. I don't pig out for 2-3 months of the "holiday season" though. i also don't feel the need to pig out on everyone's cookies and whatnot at work...i have zero issue just having a cookie here and there.
  • maidentl
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

I have no idea why we're still talking about this - it's too cold for you to run, you said so, no one challenged that. I (and I guess some other people, not just me?) just thought it was funny to hear a Texan complain about cold. Because I grew up with winters averaging -20 C (-4F) to -40 C (-40F). Like for months at a time. At least a few times a year, most years, it would go down to -50 C (-58F). So, completely agree, it's definitely not in the same ballpark. If you say your winters are cold for you, I hear you, feeling cold sucks, but I'm also thinking, you could probably put on a sweater or a little jacket and be ok.

I'm trying to figure out who would be comfortable in the freezing temps in a sweater, but OK.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

I'm trying to figure out who would be comfortable in the freezing temps in a sweater, but OK.

Or a little jacket

Really though, I get that not everyone wants to run in cold weather (I don't run at all so that's me right out), but lots of people do run or bike in 1 degree C up here.
  • maidentl
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

Really though, I get that not everyone wants to run in cold weather (I don't run at all so that's me right out), but lots of people do run or bike in 1 degree C up here.

I never said that I don't want to run in it, though. I said I actually prefer it to our intense summers but ever since then people have been telling me it doesn't get cold here. I fail to see how the fact that it's colder somewhere else makes it not cold here. But there's no point in arguing it, I guess.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I've been running on the treadmill instead of outside cause it's too dark at 5am. I've gotten wimpy in my older age because I used to run early in the dark when I was younger.

I'm thankful for my gym membership because my routine won't change much at all.

Foodwise, I eat a lot more pizza and popcorn during football season. Holidays aren't too bad since I don't live near family - it's just not a big deal food wise. I cook a special dinner, but it's not outrageous :)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

I understand Deguello, because i have a similar problem. I grew up in a town where the temperature rarely goes below 10 C. Therefore, that is also the limit of my "comfort zone". Nowadays, that I live half of my time in a much colder country, and I see those runners working out also at -20 C, I perfectly understand that I could do the same, but I still haven't had the courage :smile: Who knows, maybe this year...

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I hope I can bulk over the winter. If I can't, eat at maintenance and lift. I've never done cardio outside, or inside for that matter, so there shouldn't be much difference.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Still gonna have chili. And soups. You got the internet which means you've got ENDLESS recipes to experiment with at your fingertips. Best thing about soups are that they're bulk meals so if you don't want to cook every night, you don't have to, which fits in with my "NOPE" attitude of retreating from my blanket fort.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

I understand Deguello, because i have a similar problem. I grew up in a town where the temperature rarely goes below 10 C. Therefore, that is also the limit of my "comfort zone". Nowadays, that I live half of my time in a much colder country, and I see those runners working out also at -20 C, I perfectly understand that I could do the same, but I still haven't had the courage :smile: Who knows, maybe this year...

My fear of running outside in the winter isn't the cold, but rather the ice. The risk of injury just goes up a 100 fold in my mind

THose Canada pics really cracked me up :laugh: