Grilled chicken strip recipes or meal ideas that are healthy?

Options
on a budget so I eat A LOT of chicken.
I was just wondering what's some great low cal recipes or meal ideas?

Replies

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I just had baked chicken with Trader Joe's Thai green curry simmer sauce. It was awesome- rich and peppery and a little went a long ways flavor wise. Easy and fab!
  • MarvelGrrl
    MarvelGrrl Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I like to make "tacos" using pitas. The pitas help to fill me up as they're high in fiber, help with protein (6 grams with the brand I use), and travel well. Adding in some black beans along with your chicken, salsa, and other veg would make a nice filling meal. Wraps are also great since they are so versatile. They're also a great way to use up extra produce. Chili is a wonderful budget friendly meal and is great for meal prepping. It keeps well in the fridge all week and also freezes well! I like to make a big batch of black bean + sweet potato chilli, portion it out, and freeze half. That way you have mini "emergency meals" or can have more variety if you're just cooking for yourself.
  • Kaylabooboo2525
    Options
    Good ideas ya'll :smiley:
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    all meat is healthy, watch the skin and fat on it unless your on a low low carb high fat diet. one of my favorite is my chicken soaked in zip lock with zesty Italian dressing, i just bought a cast iron griddle and i do all my meat on it.. it's amazing! watch for sales on spices, Kroger in my area just had all the McCormick on sale for 1$ each. good time to try different flavors. I also like Garlic salt, onion powder, and paprika mixture. I use that on my green beans with a tad of sesame oil and it's great and also my chicken.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like chicken tacos, chicken soup, buffalo chicken, chicken meatballs, chicken stew, chicken stuffed with veg and cheese, chicken chili, or just simple marinated baked chicken. We often do jerk, honey mustard, bbq, salsa verde, and more.
  • Dianemarie58
    Dianemarie58 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to use different spice blends then just throw it in a pan and saute. Try rosemary, garlic and lemon juice or cilantro, cumin and lime. Then I put it on top of some brown rice or quinoa with some steamed veggies. You can use the citrus on the veggies also to give them more flavor without adding a bunch of salt.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Crush 1/3 c bran cereal. Add 1/4 tsp each garlic powder, pepper, and paprika. Marinate chicken tenders in buttermilk (or low-fat milk with lemon juice) for 2 hours. Put crushed cereal mix in a baggie, add chicken tenders and shake to coat. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. (For more than one person, increase recipe.) This is good with sweet potato fries and sliced zucchini and yellow squash. (You can cook it all on the same baking sheet for one person.)
  • lucyleigh4
    lucyleigh4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love the Cracker Barrel grilled chicken tenderloin recipe. So yummy.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/cracker-barrel-grilled-chicken-tenders-134725
  • ADKdreams
    ADKdreams Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm probably (most likely ;) ) strange, but one of my favorite things in the world is cold raspberry chicken. I just grill or bake my chicken as usual, shread, cool and add a tsp. or so of lite raspberry vinaigrette. Nothing else, just that - it's like a treat!

I also love to take my shredded chicken and add some buffalo wing sauce, a touch of butter and a few crumbles of Bleu cheese. Mmmm.

Cheap, easy, and, I think, quite yummy!
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Baked Chicken Strips - cut chicken into 2-3" strips and dip in ice water. Then coat in breadcrumbs with some spices and parmesan cheese mixed together. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake @ 400 for about 30 min, turning once.

Chicken muffins - this is more of a breakfast or quick lunch option. Boil 14oz of chicken breast just slightly underdone. Cube or shred and add to a large mixing bowl with 6 eggs, 1/2 minced green pepper, 1/2 minced onion, 1/2 cup fav shredded cheese, parsley, minced garlic, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper. Grease a 6 cup muffin tin and divide mixture between 6 muffins. Bake @ 350 for 30-40 min or until tops are golden brown. You can change up the veggies as you see fit. Sometimes, I throw in mushrooms and spinach or asparagus pieces and broccoli, etc.

Chicken wonton soup - Wonton wrappers, 1 cup cooked shredded chicken, Chinese 5 spice, white pepper. 6 cup chicken stock. I cup each, kale, bok choy, 1 large onion or 10-12 green onions. Mix shredded chicken with five spice and white pepper, garlic if desired. Place a small tbsp. of chicken in the center of a wonton. Pinch all 4 ends closed. Drop wontons into boiling water for 5 min. Strain and set aside. Bring chicken stock with veggies up to a simmer and gently add cooked wontons. Let bok choy and kale wilt (about 5-7 min) and serve.