Minimalist Running/ Forefoot Strike

Options
I am battling shin splints in one leg at the moment (Used to get it in both legs, though changing to mid-foot strike from heel strike has stopped the shin splints in my right leg). I wear compression sleeves running and for recovery and have a rest day after running days and walk on other days. I only run two days a week, 5km being the most in distance.

In my 4th km on my last run the left shin started flaring up so I slowed my pace, checked my gait.. Nothing helped. I changed my gait to fore-strike and the pain eased right up. I came home and iced my leg.. It's a little tender (I ran yesterday) but it's okay.

I have read a few things about minimalist shoes and fore strike taking some pressure of the shins and am curious about trying it again.. I currently run in Nike pegasus (they're very comfy).

Do you think running more often on my forefoot will help the shin splints go away? Is it something I should practice in short bursts? Or is it okay to try running this way full time?

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    kareF wrote: »
    I am battling shin splints in one leg at the moment (Used to get it in both legs, though changing to mid-foot strike from heel strike has stopped the shin splints in my right leg). I wear compression sleeves running and for recovery and have a rest day after running days and walk on other days. I only run two days a week, 5km being the most in distance.

In my 4th km on my last run the left shin started flaring up so I slowed my pace, checked my gait.. Nothing helped. I changed my gait to fore-strike and the pain eased right up. I came home and iced my leg.. It's a little tender (I ran yesterday) but it's okay.

I have read a few things about minimalist shoes and fore strike taking some pressure of the shins and am curious about trying it again.. I currently run in Nike pegasus (they're very comfy).

Do you think running more often on my forefoot will help the shin splints go away? Is it something I should practice in short bursts? Or is it okay to try running this way full time?

Can I ask why the Pegasus? That's a shoe with a pretty big drop (I think 11-12mm, depending on model).

If you want to encourage a forefoot strike, you should probably switch up your shoes.

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

Can I ask why the Pegasus? That's a shoe with a pretty big drop (I think 11-12mm, depending on model).

If you want to encourage a forefoot strike, you should probably switch up your shoes.

Thanks! I was running mid-foot and the shoes and changing the way I run have stopped shin splints in my right leg. The left leg has always had them. Next shoe I buy I will look at more minimalist types.. But it's a bad idea to do forefoot strike in this shoe? If so, that's OK.. I won't do it again. I was just curious as it took the splints away for the last km :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do you think running more often on my forefoot will help the shin splints go away?

There are a number of potential causes of shin splints, and it's difficult to suggest what might help.

Notwithstanding that, have you taken some time off running completely to let your legs heal or are you trying to treat the problem whilst it's still present?

Forefoot/ barefoot running does tend to be a bit cultish, so it's difficult to get a disinterested perspective. It's not the cure all that many would suggest, but it can work for some. That said, as suggested above, the Pegasus is a high differential cushioned shoe. Moving to something more neutral or motion control in nature might help a lot.

From a personal perspective, having suffered shin splints in the pas, what helped me was a motion control shoe and increasing my cadence to around 160steps per minute. That helped encourage better form and reduced my injury potential.

• ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Do you think running more often on my forefoot will help the shin splints go away?

There are a number of potential causes of shin splints, and it's difficult to suggest what might help.

Notwithstanding that, have you taken some time off running completely to let your legs heal or are you trying to treat the problem whilst it's still present?

Forefoot/ barefoot running does tend to be a bit cultish, so it's difficult to get a disinterested perspective. It's not the cure all that many would suggest, but it can work for some. That said, as suggested above, the Pegasus is a high differential cushioned shoe. Moving to something more neutral or motion control in nature might help a lot.

From a personal perspective, having suffered shin splints in the pas, what helped me was a motion control shoe and increasing my cadence to around 160steps per minute. That helped encourage better form and reduced my injury potential.

This is all true as well. Strike is just one component of overall form. I generally don't recommend messing with your strike unless you are having problems. I know many people who heel-strike their way to wins with no issues at all.

I would definitely get fitted for a shoe if you haven't already. Sometimes a minimalist shoe can be great, sometimes not so much. I crammed myself into minimalist shoes when I first started running long distances, and ended up with tendonitis. Then I went to a traditional stability shoe and my injuries went away. Now I'm in a hybrid shoe (not quite minimalist, but not traditional either), and it works well. Depending on the terrain, i will also switch to a 'maximalist' shoe (one with 0 drop but lots of padding).

tl:dr - the right shoe will go a long way to fixing injuries. The right shoe varies from person to person. Start there.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Now I'm in a hybrid shoe (not quite minimalist, but not traditional either), and it works well. Depending on the terrain, i will also switch to a 'maximalist' shoe (one with 0 drop but lots of padding).

May I ask brand/make? I'd like to look into hybrid and also a 0 drop padded shoes you mention.

• ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    Now I'm in a hybrid shoe (not quite minimalist, but not traditional either), and it works well. Depending on the terrain, i will also switch to a 'maximalist' shoe (one with 0 drop but lots of padding).

May I ask brand/make? I'd like to look into hybrid and also a 0 drop padded shoes you mention.

The hybrid I run in is the Brooks Pure Cadence (4mm drop), still cushy enough for a road marathon. The Pure line has a bunch in slightly different styles. I also have another Brooks Pure shoe for trails (Pure Grit), but my other 'maximalist' shoe is the Altra Olympus 1.5 (though the tread leaves something to be desired - I use this one on smooth, non-technical trails or roads). I tried Hokas but they felt weird.
  • adescut
    adescut Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I went from a neutral shoe (Asics Cumulus) that the running store recommended to a stability shoe (Asics Kayano 22) and my shin splints went away. Am also working on strengthening my glutes and ankles as recommended after my gait analysis was done by a sports lab.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

The hybrid I run in is the Brooks Pure Cadence (4mm drop), still cushy enough for a road marathon. The Pure line has a bunch in slightly different styles. I also have another Brooks Pure shoe for trails (Pure Grit), but my other 'maximalist' shoe is the Altra Olympus 1.5 (though the tread leaves something to be desired - I use this one on smooth, non-technical trails or roads). I tried Hokas but they felt weird.

Thanks. That gives me something to think about. But I read that the Pure Cadence is only good for 250-300 miles. :/

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have a 5km run on Saturday so will just rest this week (I usually run on tuesdays/wednesdays) and keep icing, massaging and stretching. Hopefully the rest gives me some relief!