Arm exercises.

Options
Ok, I have been losing weight now for about 4 and a half months. I am firming up everywhere it seems EXCEPT my arms. I kind of feel like a flying squirrel, it just kind of hangs there. I know I need to do some exercises to replace some of that fat with muscle, but I don't want to end up looking like Popeye either. I have almost ZERO upper body strength and would like to at least be able to do a set of 10 push ups by the time it is all said and done. But do any of you have any recommendations for getting rid of that arm flab, and even that little pocket of fat between your arm and boobs. That never seems to go away either. Thanks for your input!

Replies

• patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have been doing just plain old fashioned push ups and that has made a big difference.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have little strength now, resistance bands are a good way to start. They are cheap and give a good workout. You can also start with "sissy pushups" by doing pushups against a wall or table/desk. Then as you get stronger move to the floor, maybe half on the floor and half against the table for a while, then you'll be ready to drop and give me 10. :laugh:
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I use Claudia Schiffers Perfectly Fit Arms and it works well for me. the video is old and tehrefore hard to get hold of but you can find it on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5Qe-Hd_-4&feature=related

Parts 5-7 are the arm workout. 1-4 are the ab workouts if you'd interested in those. Theres also a lower body workout for legs and bums.

Genie
  • strongwoman84
    strongwoman84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am doing some some free weight things too. I'll just keep at it. :) I just hope the flying squirrel loses it's wings, and it's not too late!!!!:tongue:
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I've found some great arm exercises here:
    http://www.sleevelessin7.com/
  • nalopez
    nalopez Posts: 39
    Options
    30 day shred adds strength training to cardio and abs. It's only 20 min of circuit training and your done! I think its a great start for beginners; when I first started my arms felt like jello!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    If you have this machine at your gym, it's the worst. I mean best for arms.
    picture.jpg

I found it helped to learn the names of the muscles I'm interested in, and then research what to do. For the squirrel arms, you want to work your:
    Rotator Cuff (Four small muscles beneath your shoulder that help to hold your arm in place. Firming and strengthening here helps to pull in your underarm. Think roll-on deodorant ads, and having a smooth looking armpit when raising your arms and getting down on the dance floor.)

Triceps (These are situated at the back of your upper arms. They oppose the biceps, and come into play when you straighten your arm or push something. Toning your triceps will help to get rid of the flabby bit that hangs down when you hold your arm out.)

Dont ignore your:

Biceps (The muscles at the front of your upper arm. You use these when you bend your arm or pick things up. These are the ones you flex when showing someone how big (or small) the muscles in your arms are. Toning these will give shape and definition to your upper arm.)

Forearm Muscles (These are the muscles that run from your wrist to your elbow, and there are quite a lot of them lurking under there! Working and building these will not only help that overall toned look on your arms (which is what we're going for) but will also help with/ward off conditions such as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and other wrist complaints.)