Vitamins not being recorded

Options
dwstock1952
dwstock1952 Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
How come I can scan a vitamin that I take (Vitamin D) and it is recognized by the program, but it does not record that I have taken any vitamin D? It does not make sense. There is a threshold for vitamin d under nutrition but it won't record vitamin d when I take it in pill form and add it to my daily intake. Why is that?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    The MFP Food Database was set up for MFP users to record the main nutrients found on the US FDA Nutrition Facts label for general food items. Since vitamin D was not one of the required vitamins to be reported on the Nutrition Facts label, there was no database field provided for that data point to be entered by MFP users.

​​The US FDA has proposed to add Vitamin D, Potassium, and Added Sugars to the Nutrition Facts label. The new rules are expected to be final in 2015 and manufacturers will have up to two years to comply with the new rules. I expect MFP will have to update its Food Database based on the updated Nutrition Facts label, to include these additions.
    Reference:

fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm
    doh9bd262hh1.jpg
  • dwstock1952
    dwstock1952 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    The MFP Food Database was set up for MFP users to record the main nutrients found on the US FDA Nutrition Facts label for general food items. Since vitamin D was not one of the required vitamins to be reported on the Nutrition Facts label, there was no database field provided for that data point to be entered by MFP users.

​​The US FDA has proposed to add Vitamin D, Potassium, and Added Sugars to the Nutrition Facts label. The new rules are expected to be final in 2015 and manufacturers will have up to two years to comply with the new rules. I expect MFP will have to update its Food Database based on the updated Nutrition Facts label, to include these additions.
    Reference:

fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm385663.htm
    doh9bd262hh1.jpg
    Well that make no sense at all. The myfitnesspal program and algorythems were not written by the USDA so you can record anything you wish. You have a threshold limit in the nutritions section so you do record vitamins in food now, it would be simple to include suppliments as well. Especially if there is an item in the food database for vitamine suppliments.