Gym beginner

Options
For the past year, I've been doing 99% of my workouts at home, mostly using FitnessBlender's videos, and I've had really good results. I've particularly enjoyed their HIIT workouts. However, I've just moved to university where I obviously can't workout like before (my room is tiny plus I now have neighbours!) and the campus gym is a very good price so I've got a membership. I've realised though that my lack of experience going to the gym means that I've got absolutely no clue what to do... My main goal is to lose weight and tone up and I don't particularly mind how I go about it, just as long as it's not too time consuming (I am here to study!) and, as I mentioned earlier, I'm a fan of cardio. I've searched online but there's just so so much information available, I can't see the forest for the trees, so if people could give me some advice or recommend some resources, that would be great, thank you.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Does your university gym have group classes (I know my son's university has a slew of them)? That would be the quickest crossover from FitnessBlender-type stuff.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    They have a few but only stuff like Zumba and not many of the good ones work with my time table
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Most non-class indoor cardio is kind of boring, IMHO, but everybody's different. I assume they're got the usual bikes, treadmills, rowing machines, and ellipticals. Probably a lap pool. Very high rep work on the weights (either machine or free weights) is also cardio. Or you could do your cardio outdoors (running, biking, or any of the zillions of intramural sports most universities have going on), and use the indoor gym for strength training. It also helps to have a few friends who also have similar goals and class schedules so you can have a bit of a kick in the *kitten* -- with all the things going on at university, it's easy to set aside exercise and just start working on the Freshman 15.
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If the gym has trainers you should look into an assessment or at least one session with the trainer. Assessments are generally free or charge but if you can afford even just one session it'll give you a good starting point.
    You can also ask trainers on the floor if you're unsure about how to use a piece of equipment and they'll help you out.
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the useful advice! Just thought I'd bump to try to get even more hahaha
  • jersey_54
    jersey_54 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Which university? Down at UofA we got most upgraded weight room ever and I do workout there. It's pretty comfy and easy, And you mean like lifting schedule for toning up? Just start doing mixed workout and then follow a specific one