BLT's (bites, licks, tastes)

Options
I have a problem with the more than occasional bite, lick and taste-especially my son's meals. I have been really good with this but now feel them creeping back up. They really ruin my diet. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Ha! I've never heard this before. I don't have any advice for you, but I find myself doing this, too, and often quite unconsciously. Just the other day I caught myself putting a small corner of pb & honey sandwich in my mouth and ran to the sink and spit it out. That one little bit could have easily been 40-50 calories .... times 4 or 5 each day .... I could really be sabotaging myself. yikes.

I hope someone has a good suggestion.
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    Ask yourself...is it worth it? Is it really really worth it? That small mouthful of whatever it is? Did it leave you satisfied? It probably just left you frustrated, guilty, and wanting more.

Maybe as a numerical deterant you could estimate what you would pinch from your kiddy in a day, instead of eating it keep it in a tub, at the end of the day tot up the calories, times it by 7...then times that number by 52 and you'll have the amount of worthless calories you'll have consumed in a year! You could stick that number near to where you keep your kids plates or cutlery or something then every time you get them a meal you are reminded.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh when I read this. I was just thinking the exact thing this morning as I was making pb&j's for my kids and licking the pb off the knife! The shame!!

I think this is one of the hardest parts of the weight loss journey for me. Glad to know I am not alone! Good luck.

4431657.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have 3 & 5 year olds so I know exactly what you are talking about!
    I made a conscious decision not to eat anything I hadn't served for myself, which sounds easy but it was hard at first. I made myself wash food off my hands (peanut butter, jelly etc) rather than lick it off or to throw away food they had left on their plates.
    I kept telling myself "I am a person, not a human garbage disposal for my kids scraps. If I'm really hungry, make something."
    After a while it worked.
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    LOL! I got my oldest an ice cream cone the other day and he wanted me to lick off the excess that was melting cause he was eating it soo darn slow, and took more than a few licks before he had to ask for it back! :)

And I am definitely guilty of licking the knife when making them pb&j, but I dont sweat it! If its just a little its not a *big deal* (to me)

One thing you could do is chew a pice of gum or something while you are making the kids food, then you probably wont be so tempted!
  • chkloveshubby
    chkloveshubby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one and I like all the ideas. I will use them all-especially chewing gum while I am making a meal for someone else!

7657931.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mrydm98
    mrydm98 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have a glass of ice cold water near the hand that picks up the food and take a drink..That's what I do..I put a straw in the glass and sip away rather than licking the knife...it's very hard to not pick up the leftovers
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have to occasionally prepare birthday cakes and such for the disabled men that I take care of. It is SUCH a struggle not to lick frosting off your fingers!!!

Here's an idea: If you're making something for someone else (or if it's dinner time and you finished before your child, etc), brush your teeth. Not only is it good dental hygiene, but the minty cleanness of it will help you resist temptation.

I love the gum idea. A strong-flavored minty gum in your mouth (or an altoid or something) will probably curb the urge to lick the peanut butter off a knife or steal a tidbit from someone else's plate.