How did you make a habit of waking up early for the gym?

Options
2»

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I didnt, not a morning person. I made a habit of going to the gym just by keeping on top of it and not making excuses. The buggest challenge is getting yourself in there.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I admire you morning workout-ers. I just can't. I do mine after my kids go to bed, so I'm usually hitting the gym around 8-8:30 at night (weekends are an exception to this). I just refuse to go to bed any earlier because the few hours I get at night while the kids are in bed are the only hours of quiet I get in a day. I work in an elementary school (well two elementary schools, a middle school, and alternative education). I'm a night owl though and I already leave the house by 7:15 am to be at work by 7:30.

If you want to do it in the mornings, you need to have your routine down if you also work/have kids. Have your things ready the night before (bottle of water in the fridge, gym clothes on the dresser/beside the bed, work clothing all picked out, lunch for work packed the night before) so you aren't rushing around. If it is too hectic you'll burn out. I think planning ahead would be key.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I leave my clothes out and ready and then set my alarm and leave it far enough away I have to get out of bed to turn it off. Once I am already out of bed... might as well just go.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I made going to the gym, at all, a habit by finding time in the evenings after my kids went to bed for the first seven months. When I decided to switch to mornings it was easy because going isn't even a question anymore - just part of my life now.

And go to bed early. Of course.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of respect for people that can do this. It just does not suit my routine/life style. I know that my mind set would turn it into a chore that I didnt want to do and the sacrifice (extra time in bed lol) would make me rebel against it and would ultimately become less sustainable. I go to the gym when I'm feeling excited about working out and can concentrate all my efforts into it. This is usually of an evening on workdays and a few hours after waking on weekends. I'm so exhausted after a workout that the idea of then going to work and having a full day ahead after would probably distract me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm out the door at 6 AM Saturday mornings for a class I like. It's sometimes my only opportunity to take that class some weeks and it's one of my favorites. Gym bag is packed the night before, workout clothes already selected and set beside the gym bag as well. I use the Reminders app on iPhone and check off items as they're packed. I don't have to go to work or anything afterwards, but nothing could feel more normal now
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I'm trying it in the morning for the first time.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've always been a morning person but I'd just lay in bed and drift in and out of sleep for a while. That being said I now run three mornings a week. On top of making sure I go to bed on the earlier side, I lay my clothes out the night before and make sure all of my other running stuff is out and in order. As soon as the alarm goes off I get out of bed, no excuses. Also helps that I have a feline alarm clock who starts demanding to be fed as soon as the alarm goes off.