Pressing out against abs?

Options
Tl;dr When I do core exercises I find myself pushing out against my abs and have to consciously squeeze them in instead. Is this normal, what's the best way to fix it, etc.

Ever since my pregnancy a year ago my core has been weak. I carried my son right out front (strangers on the street randomly told me it was going to be a boy due to my carriage... Weirdos) and I think I spent the final months supporting my torso by allowing my lower back to settle into a kink. I do not have DR but in the past year post partum I've struggled to strengthen my core with the small amounts of energy and time I have while caring for a baby.

Often when I do core work, especially Pilates-esque work lying on my back and holding my legs out etc, I catch myself pushing out against my abs instead of sucking them in. I have too really consciously focus on squeezing in rather than out, as the moves are more difficult the proper way. I understand the importance of form so I'm really focusing on this issue but I wondered if that's common at all when starting out? It seems odd to me but maybe it's a post partum or imbalanced core thing. Also does anyone have specific tips or drills to retrain my habits, other than "just keep practicing" because that's what I'm doing already ;)

For reference if it matters I'm 5'7, 192lbs, fitness goals include running shorter distances (5k) and comprehensive strength to do fun stuff like mud runs and climb trees with my son. :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't do much ab isolation work but when I'm focusing on them (or full body for that matter) I usually don't think in terms of pressing OUT or IN, but rather engaging the muscles....I don't really understand what you're asking I guess.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "pressing out against abs"

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but when you use your ab muscles, it does tend to cause your stomach to bulge out a bit.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I think I understand what you mean, but I don't have any answers or advice.

For me it's sort of like slightly pushing my abdomen out helps stabilize my back. My entire core, really. I feel stronger when I do that than when I try to engage my abs by slightly pulling in.

If it matters (and it probably does) I've had two c-sections.
  • fitrep1
    fitrep1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't do much ab isolation work but when I'm focusing on them (or full body for that matter) I usually don't think in terms of pressing OUT or IN, but rather engaging the muscles....I don't really understand what you're asking I guess.

Actually, you hit it right on the head! The muscle can only contract and flex, so whether it is an out push or pull in, you are contracting the muscle fibers which is the goal. And by all means, push out! Lol Many people tend to forget their diaphragm needs to move to get the lungs totally full of that much needed oxygen.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You might be 'bracing' them instead of contracting them 'towards your navel' because those are two different feelings. Bracing is like if someone were going to punch you in the stomach.

You can actually brace and suck in/contract hard that way at the same time, so just keep trying :) I used to brace exclusively, and I do have more abs to show for making more of a C shape with the ab contraction. I think they both work the abs fine, though. ??? I don't know. My physical therapists yelled at me to make the C shape, so it might be important ;)
  • fitrep1
    fitrep1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The fact you said Physical Therapist does makeit a little different. Your abs are support muscles. From the aspect of training your abs for general fitness, ether movement is OK. From a support or stability of upper torso and back, there is a certain way you should train.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Do you have Diastasis Recti?
    Google it if you don't know what it is..
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    fitrep1 wrote: »
    The fact you said Physical Therapist does makeit a little different. Your abs are support muscles. From the aspect of training your abs for general fitness, ether movement is OK. From a support or stability of upper torso and back, there is a certain way you should train.

Ah! You pegged me. Upper back problems are my big thing, yep. Very good!

• Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of trouble engaging my abs too. When I started Pilates 2 months ago, my instructor noticed it right away - she suggested focusing on tightening/squeezing my butt to get my abs to kick in (e.g. when doing a bridge). For me, this has really seemed to help. With her guidance and constant reminders, these days I can actually feel my abs kicking in instinctively. Hope that helps :-)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Tl;dr When I do core exercises I find myself pushing out against my abs and have to consciously squeeze them in instead. Is this normal, what's the best way to fix it, etc.

Ever since my pregnancy a year ago my core has been weak. I carried my son right out front (strangers on the street randomly told me it was going to be a boy due to my carriage... Weirdos) and I think I spent the final months supporting my torso by allowing my lower back to settle into a kink. I do not have DR but in the past year post partum I've struggled to strengthen my core with the small amounts of energy and time I have while caring for a baby.

Often when I do core work, especially Pilates-esque work lying on my back and holding my legs out etc, I catch myself pushing out against my abs instead of sucking them in. I have too really consciously focus on squeezing in rather than out, as the moves are more difficult the proper way. I understand the importance of form so I'm really focusing on this issue but I wondered if that's common at all when starting out? It seems odd to me but maybe it's a post partum or imbalanced core thing. Also does anyone have specific tips or drills to retrain my habits, other than "just keep practicing" because that's what I'm doing already ;)

For reference if it matters I'm 5'7, 192lbs, fitness goals include running shorter distances (5k) and comprehensive strength to do fun stuff like mud runs and climb trees with my son. :)

Do you have a Pilates instructor?