Does walking my dog count as exercise? We walk slowly

I walk him 4 times a day for 15 minutes approximately, but we don't walk fast and we stop to sniff a lot. (he's sniffing, not me. )
I certainly do not break a sweat or get exerted, so I'm wondering if it counts as exercise?

Replies

• airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    For him it is, lol I personally don't count walking mine as exercise (but I also don't count cruising on my bike as exercise either)
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    You're moving so you are burning calories. Maybe not many. OTOH owning a dog is part of a lifestyle. It is normal everyday activity and not extra, so it is included in your activity level. I would not log it.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,627 Member
    I think walking a slow mile burns about as many calories as jogging a mile does. Your still moving the same body weight the same distance It just takes longer to burn them. You certainly can count it as exercise.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    No, that's part of your daily activities. I do up to 8 walks per day with my dogs and have never logged it once.

People on here log things like sex, pushing a grocery cart, walking to the mail box as exercise. I Personally don't log any of that, i only log intentional workouts not every day life stuff.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    All calorie burns are estimates. Depending what activity level you choose then some exercise/movement is already included. the dividing line tends to be is it just you going about your day to day life or is it intentional exercise i.e thats the main purpose, which otherwise you would not be doing.

Whether or not you include it your body still gets the benefit of it. Its your choice whether you want to include it or not, but just monitor your progress over time and then decide whether you want to include the calories. Maybe include 15-30 mins of it?

If you use mfp to calculate calories, then start with eating only 50% of the calories back. Its still goof though to get out for an hour a day, when you get some confidence then maybe you cna walk a bit faster. Keep it going and good luck.
  • midlifesally
    midlifesally Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks everyone. I am not going to count it as exercise.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Keep asking questions though it will make you more effective if you understand how it all works and will give you confidence in what you are doing.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    I walk him 4 times a day for 15 minutes approximately, but we don't walk fast and we stop to sniff a lot. (he's sniffing, not me. )
    I certainly do not break a sweat or get exerted, so I'm wondering if it counts as exercise?

I walk my dog twice a day 30-40 minutes and don't count it as exercise, because it really isn't. We walk a bit, then stop and she sniffs the grass and flowers, checks out things that interest her, looks at a plane in the sky. Then we walk another 15 steps and the same ritual repeats itself.
    I count dog walking as part of my lifestyle. I walk for myself without the dog for a minimum of 30 minutes a day, these days often more, at a sustainable speed and count that as my only exercise.
    I also don't count walking up and down four flights of stairs several times a day, doing house work, walking to and from the store ( more than a mile ) or walking to and from public transportation. That also all is counted in my " slightly " active lifestyle.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I would say it is closer to part of your daily activity, like cleaning the house would be. It is a great way to move more which will only help, but it isn't enough to gain cardio benefits or burn a lot of calories.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Thanks everyone. I am not going to count it as exercise.

We all started by asking questions:) nobody is born knowing everything about this process so ask anytime your in doubt. In no time, you'll have it sorted out. :)
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    He's a lucky doggie t get to walk 4x a day! (Now, I have a neighbor who walks their big dogs 4-7mi a day, which to me is serious dog walking!)
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    It a daily activity and probably will count if you wear a fitness tracking device that count steps. Keep in mind you are still burning calories walking your dog or even just walking around your house. But you are not burning it as fast as if you were walking fast or running. You should count it if the walk actually raise your heart rate.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    You're moving - so this is definitely a good thing! :)
    Beats everyone sitting on the sofa watching TV! And your dog gets enjoyment out of it too! Win!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    I wouldn't count it as exercise, I'd just consider it a bonus of incidental exercise. Same as I consider taking the stairs instead of the elevator for example.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,788 Member
    edited September 2015
    Consider the decision (to count or not) in context of how you've set your activity level: Sedentary, slightly active, etc. Is it significantly beyond your actity level? If yes, consider counting.

Or, alternately, count/log calories carefully for a month, compare your loss to your MFP targets, then decide whether you should be counting & eating back (some or all of) those activity calories.
  • jnooner1
    jnooner1 Posts: 1 Member
    I would count it as exercise if you chose sedentary level which is anything less than 3000 steps a day. If you are walking for an hour a day on top of everyday getting around then that is more than sedentary. I would say you are lightly active. If that is what you chose then don't log it as exercise. If you chose sedentary then log it.
  • poppinfresh80
    poppinfresh80 Posts: 4 Member
    Of course it is! Anything that gets your heart rate up is exercise, doesnt have to be vigorous. You could even try just sprinting for a few feet and then letting your dog sniff to get more of a benefit from your walks. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    I think walking a slow mile burns about as many calories as jogging a mile does. Your still moving the same body weight the same distance It just takes longer to burn them. You certainly can count it as exercise.

Jogging/running burns about twice as many net calories as walking. The mechanics are different.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    I count mine as it is a couple of hours fast walking with dogs off lead so they can sniff while I keep going! if I walk 10 mins to the local field and play ball while slowly walking laps for an hour I don't count it same as I don't count the 20 min school run I do 4-6 times a day instead I put my daily activity to mildly active to incorporate these movements
  • the_log_lady
    the_log_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Walking your dog the way you do sounds super relaxing. Relaxing activities lower cortisol, the stress hormone, of which some is important and useful but too much can negatively impact weight loss efforts. I have just started here and don't plan to count going to the local beach with my dog as exercise, but do plan to include those 50-60 minute walks around the streets where if I take my pulse it's in the magic zone. Check out this, for example heart rates, walking, fat burning, and such
    . You might be surprised how much work you are doing just strolling. I like timeforwork's approach above, too.