newbie runner - can I run more then 3x a week?

Options
Hello all,

I am new to running and consider myself to be a beginner to fitness in general. This year I've made a lot of changes to better my health and fitness.

I am following the couch to 5k program, I am on week 3. Its challenging but I am able to complete the program so far. Sometimes I'll do a certain "week" again the next week if I feel I am not ready to move on to a more challenging week.

My question is, can I run more then 3x a week or will that be detrimental to my recovery/progress? I usually walk about 60 min a day during the week on top of my 3x a week running program. I'm finding on my off days wanting to do another running day.

I've always wondered about the runners high I've read about. I don't feel totally wiped out after running, in fact I feel kinda pumped like I want to do more. Is that what the runner high is?

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K as well and just started week 5. I walk a bit more than you every day too.

Everything I've read says not to run more. In your case, especially since you're repeating weeks, I wouldn't tax the muscles again.

If you feel the need to do more on the days in between, just walk longer.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think rest days are especially important when you're relatively new to a sport or activity. Don't want to get injured or burn yourself out too soon which might deter you from something you may enjoy and benefit from for years to come.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3
    Sometimes I'll do a certain "week" again the next week if I feel I am not ready to move on to a more challenging week.

So if you've already had to repeat a week I'd suggest sticking with the plan as designed.

Rest days are part of the programme, you need to give yourself time to recover and give the muscles, joints and connective tissue an opportunity to regenerate.
    I've always wondered about the runners high I've read about. I don't feel totally wiped out after running, in fact I feel kinda pumped like I want to do more. Is that what the runner high is?

For me, my head clears after about an hour of running and at times I feel like I could go on forever. It depends where I am but that usually happens when I'm out on the trail.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The best runner's high I've ever had was when I was training for a marathon and was a young adult and was running a fast ten miles, 6 days a week. I'd get the high around mile 6 and you would know it. It's like you get wings on your feet and would sometimes last me 3-4 miles.

Now I just jog 2 miles and feel really good, but don't get the really "high" high I got with the longer distances.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Wait until you can actually run the 5k. Then add a couple of more days walking - when that starts to feel comfortable, then you can safely start running 5k every day.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started running about 2 weeks ago. I thought I could handle running 2 days in a row. BAD idea! I now have plantar fasciitis (heel pain). I thought after a few days rest, I'd be fine. No such luck. The pain hasn't let up at all. From what I've read this type of injury can take 3-6 MONTHS to heal. OMG. So, imo, don't push yourself too hard. It simply isn't worth it!! Take those rest days. Slow and steady.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

I started 3 days per week at week 1, then at week 2 run 5 times = injury and stopped for 10 days

don't do the same mistake, wait your body get used to it, give a couple of month while gradually increasing your distance, maybe after 1 month run 4 times, after 3 5 times, but carefully

now I run everyday, but it took me 1 year to reach this goal, and I still regret my initial mistake
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    running high for me is both a boost of energy an a boost of positive emotional feelings, that makes me so happy I almost cry

it lasts for a couple of minutes, can go 100 miles without one or have 2-3 during a 10 miler
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Your body goes through a series of physiological adaptations when you start running and the surest recipe for injury is trying to do too much, too soon, too fast. Many beginning runners drop out of running as they become victims of their own enthusiasm and develop an overuse injury.

Feel free to cross train on non-running days (weights, cycling, swimming, walking etc etc etc) as these compliment running and will help you become a better, more injury resistant runner.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't add in more running at this point, but you could add some other form of training e.g. swimming, dancing, yoga, resistance training. Be sure to choose something that doesn't have the high impact of running, though.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I began running early August this year.. I started with 2km, 2x weekly (It took a few weeks to be able to run the entire way).

In the 3rd week, I ran 4km on one of my running days and my shin started flaring up (history with shin splints).

I had physio in week 5 and was told I could keep running, though to go easy.. Listen to my body and take it slow.

At the end of week 6, my leg felt good and i pushed myself to hit 5km.

I started introducing specific rest days (1 day after each run, no matter how long the run).
    I've since finished another 5km this week. My shin is sore, though icing and rolling it out have helped.

I'm so eager to increase the amount of running days each week but I will just do 2km to see how I go on the 3rd day.

I try and stick to this every week:
    5km Saturday,
    Rest Sunday
    5km walk Monday
    2km Run Tuesday (trialling this)
    2km Run Wednesday (usually 3km)
    Rest Thursday
    5km walk Friday

Because I am introducing a 2km run on Tuesday, I am dropping my run from 3km to 2km on Wednesday as I don't want to overdo it.. If it doesn't feel good, I will know I have done too much and see my physio.

All up I have only been running for 8 weeks. I always see my physio to have my leg massaged if my shin flares up and is too painful, otherwise I am feeling great!

I will let you know how my plan works out!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I should add.. I am looking at buying a stationary bike so I can maybe do some cycling on my rest days .. I'll have to read up a bit more but from what I hear it works other muscles in the legs so can be good to use between runs.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3
    Sometimes I'll do a certain "week" again the next week if I feel I am not ready to move on to a more challenging week.

So if you've already had to repeat a week I'd suggest sticking with the plan as designed.

Rest days are part of the programme, you need to give yourself time to recover and give the muscles, joints and connective tissue an opportunity to regenerate.

Good advice
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    As a beginner, i wouldn't recommend it.
    recovery is important. take it slow and you will be set up better for success. as you improve, you can add more runs but now, stick with the program. trust the program
  • Steve4239
    Steve4239 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i'm doing the couch to 5k currently on week 6 i run 5 days a week and just repeat days where it says relax iv not missed a day yet!
  • hulagirlmb
    hulagirlmb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 1 of the C25K program and I was wondering if I could do some HIIT workouts I found on YouTube on rest days