Need encouragement

Options
Okay, so it's day 1 of my new diet and I've already eaten way more than my calories for the day.......I need baby steps or I'm going to crash and burn before I even get going!! :smile:

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    May I suggest planning your day ahead of time? That way you know what and how much you can eat. Works great for me. Good luck!
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Log Before you eat, that way you can decide if its worth the cals or not......
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Try not to think of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change. DON'T go cold turkey on everything you love....remember that moderation is the key. Take things one choice at a time, rejoice in the good choices, and get over the bad choices without beating yourself up.
  • krevill
    krevill Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I found for the first couple of weeks I went over. If you keep monitoring you will start to notice where you are going over and what foods you can replace with healthy options to stay within your targets and of course if you add exercise you can eat a bit more.
  • francinecowart
    Options
    i hear ya..i'm going in the opposite direction....just not hungry....strange....but you can do anything you set your mind to....like i have to eat or i won't loose weight....not sure where ur from, but its hot here...later i'm going for a walk.....you could do that and burn those meanie calories off:) huggggs...good luck to you:)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. I spent about 8 months of just trial and error meal planning before really trying to lose weight. It's so much more than trying to stay within your calories- it's relearning portion sizes, go to foods, planning and snacks. It's learning to prioritize and plan when you will eat less than healthy food rather than making it a default setting.

Today is a good day to learn what your biggest mistakes are and take this opportunity to start to correct them, one at a time. Start by revamping your breakfast, once you get it going, try adding in a veggie based mid morning snack. Then focus on a healthy balanced lunch. And so on. Once you've changed up how you eat, then you can sucessfully start scaling it back without costing yourself nutrition or giving yourself overly high expectations.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    There was a phrase on MFP (don't know where it originated) but it helped me at the beginning: "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." I repeat it to myself when the chocolate bowl at work is calling my name. :)

I don't know what you put down for your weekly weight loss goal but in the beginning, I decided to adjust mine from 2 pounds per week to 1 . . . I needed the baby steps. I'm still loosing weight, albeit not very fast. But, it's still weight loss and it's a healthy loss that I can maintain. Good luck! You can do it!!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. Rome wasn't built in a day! Learning to eat on MFP is like reinventing the wheel. The key is finding the balance between healthful eating and exercise. If you're feeling less than happy with your food choices, head out for a brisk walk and burn some of it off!

Keep going. You're always blessed with opportunities to make good choices, even after you make less-than-perfect choices... Keep going.
  • susieQ79
    susieQ79 Posts: 12
    Options
    Okay, so it's day 1 of my new diet and I've already eaten way more than my calories for the day.......I need baby steps or I'm going to crash and burn before I even get going!! :smile:

Been on MFP for about 3 weeks now and it gets easier trust me.....make sure u read all labels, learn how to shop, research what's healthier.....it's hard in the begginng but it gets easier and if u eat more calories for the day don't stress too much over it.....there is always tomorrow and I know u can do it......add me we can keep eachother motivated