How a 54-year-old woman lost 115 lbs. (so far)

Options
vilmaes
vilmaes Posts: 13 Member
I've battled obesity my entire life. My highest weight was 306 lbs. where I stayed for more than a decade. I was so miserable that I felt like I was waiting to die because I just saw no other future than being morbidly obese and miserable. Everybody told me that once you hit 50 and go into menopause, losing weight would be impossible. My journey has probably taken longer and was a bit harder because of my age, but I did it. Anyone can! It's taken me almost 3 years (mostly because I got stuck on a 16-month plateau) to lose it but my journey has been an amazing learning experience. People now flock to me wanting to know how I did it and many urged me to create a blog about my journey. At first I resisted because who'd want to hear my story, but so many people kept telling me to create a blog that I recently did just that. I've been getting good feedback about it and many people tell me I've inspired them to make changes to their lifestyle, too. Motivating people by just walking in has been the biggest and best "side effect" of my weight loss success. If you're interested, here's my blog: "blossomingvilma.blogspot.com" Whatever path you take to lose weight, good luck to you!

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment! Congratulations!

Would you be willing to provide a link to your blog? I know many people would be interested in your story.

I bought into the myth of not being able to lose weight after 50 as well, and allowed myself to be morbidly obese for too many years, until I found MFP.

If I can do this, most anyone can without existing health issues.

All of you out there who think it is not possible, don't you believe it. I began @ age 60, and I did it, so can you!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Vilma's Blog link. ( @snowflake930 ) :)

I just read through the entire thing and wow, Vilma, congratulations! Your story is well-told, easy to relate to and very inspiring!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story with us- Those of us who are just over 50 can truly relate- there is so much mystery and myths that go on with weight loss- that many of us- do stop trying because it all seems so hard- but thanks for your story- you are very encouraging
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    vilmaes wrote: »
    I've battled obesity my entire life. My highest weight was 306 lbs. where I stayed for more than a decade. I was so miserable that I felt like I was waiting to die because I just saw no other future than being morbidly obese and miserable. Everybody told me that once you hit 50 and go into menopause, losing weight would be impossible. My journey has probably taken longer and was a bit harder because of my age, but I did it. Anyone can! It's taken me almost 3 years (mostly because I got stuck on a 16-month plateau) to lose it but my journey has been an amazing learning experience. People now flock to me wanting to know how I did it and many urged me to create a blog about my journey. At first I resisted because who'd want to hear my story, but so many people kept telling me to create a blog that I recently did just that. I've been getting good feedback about it and many people tell me I've inspired them to make changes to their lifestyle, too. Motivating people by just walking in has been the biggest and best "side effect" of my weight loss success. If you're interested, here's my blog: "blossomingvilma.blogspot.com" Whatever path you take to lose weight, good luck to you!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!