Meal planning apps that allow you to plug in macronnutrient ratios?

Options
AlaRunnerGirl
AlaRunnerGirl Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm trying to plan our meals using the calorie and macronutrient ratios recommended by my nutritionist -- it's a time-consuming trial and effort process, and it's a huge pain! SURELY there's an app out there that will let me plus in those variables and will create meal plans for me? I don't mind paying for a service that will do this, but most don't allow you to set custom ratios (I'm an endurance athlete, and my needs change based on where I am in a training cycle). I also eat a vegan diet, so I need the ability to customize meal plans to suit that. If I were the LEAST did tech savvy, I'd certainly look into creating an app for this, but in the meantime, does anyone know of one you can recommend?? Thanks very much!

Replies

• asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't have any suggestions, just bumping because I would love to know about any apps as well!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised your nutritionist didn't create a few meal plans for you. That sounds far more simple than finding an app that can do these very specific requirements.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Create recipes that you use in MFP , dump them to excel ,( with nutritional info) then create meal plan in that excel sheet , not an app but once all your info is in think it would work well.
  • driving_miss_crazy
    Options
    Try the Eat This Much app. It allows quite a bit of customization which may be what you are looking for.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    My Net Diary is a paid service where you can custom set your macros (I use it... my macros are currently 7%C / 18%P / 75%F). It is quite a bit different than MFP but all the entries are verified (they have a team of people that spend their days verifying nutrition information) and they have a dietician on staff that answers questions in their forums. Their recipe building function takes a bit of getting used to but it beats the abomination of the recipe tool here by a long shot. I'm not 100% certain but I think they have a free 14 day trial option, and then the annual fee is $60.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I will second www.eatthismuch.com. You don't even have to pay, just make a new plan every day and you are good to go (the free version only allows you to plan one day). I did pay though to support them because I believe it's a great service for when you are too lazy to think or calculate.

You can customize macronutrients and the app will attempt to meet them with their database of meals. You can customize meal sizes, for example if you tend to have a light lunch and heavy dinner and the app will allocate more calories to any meal labeled "big" or "huge". I also love the option of picking if you can or can't cook for a specific meal, if you would like intricate recipes or only a few ingredients.. and so on. You can add items and recipes to ignore list, add your own recipes, add single ingredients, customize recipes, create a weekly plan and generate a shopping list for it, add stuff to pantry so that your shopping list does not include things you already have. They also have a feature where they plan leftovers for you, setting certain recipes/items to appear every day, or more often than other recipes.. and the list goes on.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    A website for you and a link; obviously a few adjustments to the diet is required for a Vegan. It is however providing you with the MACRO nutrient breakdown at the end of each day along with fiber, sat fat, and a few other items.

http://d1ujpofy5vmb70.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/CE55_MealPlan_WEB.pdf

The link and their site also provide a shopping list for the 2 week's of meals being planned. You can tweak the calories up or down depending on your training day versus rest day. Best of luck.
  • lamm
    lamm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just doing some research on finding a meal plan application and noticed this review of EatThisMuch on YouTube with a link for a 30-day free trial. Here is the link to the review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eJa0QkLpWQ