• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • caci88
    caci88 Posts: 53 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much for your posts!
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    My biggest barrier was that CICO works!!

I was definitely guilty of this!! I wanted to believe I could have the body I wanted AND eat what I wanted when I wanted and be inconsistent with workouts.. haha go figure!

Annr wrote: »
    What I have come to realize is that change is messy. Change makes you rethink everything. How I look at food, how I cook, how I spend my time. Change does make you aware. Change wakes up your senses. Changing in this journey I have put myself on forever has taught me a couple of things. #1 I would rather change and live my life "eyes wide open than asleep". #2 Changing my lifestyle makes me feel capable of changing other things in my life. It starts the ball rolling so to speak. I am more adaptive of change than I was a couple of months ago. And that is a great thing...

This is SO true!!! I saw a quote the other day "change may be difficult but it means soon things will get easier" and I loved it.. because it's so true!

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My biggest barrier was relying on sweets for "instant energy". Not enough sleep? Coffee and donut (or two). Feeling under the weather but there is work to be done? Nothing a piece of cake or a cupcake can't solve.

The act of "propping myself up" with those sugary carbs (and concomitant fats), worked well the first time. If I tried it later in the day I'd have to eat a larger amount to get the same bump in energy. Then I'd fall into days where I had very little protein or vegetables, just lots of carbs.

I was under the weather a week ago and I dearly wanted to have a sweet treat just so I could get up and DO something. But once that snowball starts rolling...
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Change has always been really hard for me...but in June I had to move 2800 miles from home (my husband is an officer in the Navy),clear across the country from everything and everyone I have known my whole life. I was angry about it, and absolutely terrified...but really, it's not as bad as I thought. I mean it sucks and I hate it most days, but my life is not ruined like I thought it would be. Realizing I could manage this life changing thing and not have my world crumble around me helped me make the decision to finally be healthy. If I can handle missing my lifelong best friend having her first baby, I can handle anything. And honestly, once I tried it and stuck with it, it got waaaay easier. And I love seeing the scale of down, even just a fraction of a pound.
  • sbmcm
    sbmcm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My biggest barrier has been that I want instant gratification. I want the weight off, but I want it off now and for some odd reason it never complies (go figure). And when that happens, I turn to my old standby -- fun food, where the gratification may be brief, but it sure is quick. Patience may be a virtue, but it's one I've never been accused of having. (And yes, I'm working to change that :) )
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I think I've had to overcome many barriers to change along the way. The first one was probably just recognizing that I could do something about my extreme obesity. That it wasn't inevitable, and the fact that everyone else in my family was obese did not mean I had to be as well. That I had a choice.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Despair